The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alesis 3630 Vintage compressor SECRET weapon!
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Alesis 3630 Vintage compressor SECRET weapon!

Pulled out a nice "vintage" Alesis 3630 stereo compressor out amongst my vintage 1176, urei LA-2a, LA-3A, Pendulum 6386, Vac Rac, DBX and SSL G384... WOW, this thing KILLS the lot!

Serious "mojo!"

Who knew?

Man, when this secret gets out, watch out!

Personally, I hope to pick up as many as I can before the price goes up over $2k...or above

I see a Fairchild 670 going on eBay for $23k... the 3630 has a bit to go, but before we know it

Now I know why CLA & TLA keep them so secret, not to mention Andy Wallace and even a few folks here like Bruce and Michael and other top guns!

-a
Old 14th January 2007
slow day?

Old 14th January 2007
Gear Head

I'll sell you mine for 10k au
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

THE next big thing, move over DBX VU and 1176!

Man.... use your ears! Fiarchild versus a 3630 and there's NO TURNING BACK!

I've even heard rumors of a 3630 lunchbox 500 series of modules.

Those in the know, KNOW! (but you have o really put your butt out there to see the true genius of a 3630)

Once in a generation a piece of genius likes this slips under the radar, but before too late, the world catches on.

You have to emember people were tossing their DBX 160 VU and 1176 pieces out at one point and now the are ALL THE RAGE.

Have you heard the Jim Williams mod? Phew!!!

The Alesus 3630 is THE next piece of boutigue high-end weapons!!!
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi View Post
I'll sell you mine for 10k au
$10k... if I can't swing it, someone will snatch that up in a heartbeat...sure you want to part with that?
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

When I need the sound of horrible rotton compression, the 3630 is my goto piece. Wow, it's hard to believe how powerful this device is, I never heard any audio track that couldn't be RUINED by a 3630. For $25 used on ebay, it's your best dollar value for flashing lights and useless knobs.
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback View Post
When I need the sound of horrible rotton compression, the 3630 is my goto piece. Wow, it's hard to believe how powerful this device is, I never heard any audio track that couldn't be RUINED by a 3630. For $25 used on ebay, it's your best dollar value for flashing lights and useless knobs.
easy there fold i'am trying to make a sale
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hype... don;t let anyoen try an fae you into believe less of themse

I know the hype on these units is growin HUGE right now, so to try and be a real help, people should disregard all thes people trying go "down-play" the true HIGH-END vingate quality of a true 3630.
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
I know the hype on these units is growin HUGE right now, so to try and be a real help, people should disregard all thes people trying go "down-play" the true HIGH-END vingate quality of a true 3630.
absolutely it's the best vingate i ever heard sounds like no other
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi View Post
easy there fold i'am trying to make a sale
Sorry, I...uh, meant to say $25K, yeah, $25K, it's gonna be huge, get in now before everyone finds out. wooooow, it's the new sound of modern mastering :-)
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Guru

[QUOTE=foldback;1069260]When I need the sound of horrible rotton compression, the 3630 is my goto piece. /QUOTE]

sometimes the sound of horrible rotten compression is exactly what's needed; those who disagree may wish to consider how safe their mixes are .

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear
I have a vintage 3630 laying around somewhere; it's 230v for all those european sluts looking for one of these babies.
It's got minor scratches due to anger, I once got pissed cuz I couldn't get a bad sound out of this unit, and god knows I was trying!!

One of the most versatile comps ever, so light you can play catch with it, it's awesome, great fun for the entire family! It also makes an awesome travel-sized baseball bat, you're gonna be hitting home runs with this one, its super.

I'll sell it for 22000€. PM me.

I also got a vintage metal zone, anybody interested?
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Maniac

You guys seems to come funnier a day by day

aapee
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapee View Post
You guys seems to come funnier a day by day

aapee

Mate,we are dead serius this compressor is gonig to be huge , neve and ssl will have to incorporate an alesisi 3630 rotten compression knob you'll see
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Don´t tell anyone, but I heard Alesis will introduce a reissue of the Vintage 3630 at NAMM...

Stein Tore
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by steins View Post
Don´t tell anyone, but I heard Alesis will introduce a reissue of the Vintage 3630 at NAMM...

Stein Tore
I think they're also working on a 500 series compressor based on the circuits of the 3630.
I just can't wait!!!
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Nut

Has anyone tried the Mercenary Edition version yet?
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

The revolution wil be compressed. Harshly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
You're lucky if you did. I modified about 10 of these before I stopped. I stopped working on them as I do have a reputation to upkeep.

For those who may have one, I appologize for taking your money for it, I will offer a credit to anyone that had one done. Seriously.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Don't get bashful on us now, Jim! Only the best of the BEST can touch a Fairchild 670 or an Alesis 3630, keep the faith brotha

Yes, I also heard the NAMM rumors about the 3630 reissue, may steal the show!

Sorry SSL.
Sorry great boutique guys.
Sorry AMS Neve or whoever you are.

The Alesis 3630 is set to take our audio community by storm.

"The revolution will be compressed. Harshly."

-Andrews

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.com
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Stein Tore
No way it will sound as good as the original, sorry!
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
No way it will sound as good as the original, sorry!
The reeditions will not be using the same output transformers, so much of the mojo came from those... So yes I agree they won't sound the same.

Which 3630 clone would you guys say sounds the closest to the original?

I also heard UAD was working on a 3630 plug in, that would be great for all the 3630 lovers out there that just can't afford one!!
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:

Stein Tore
can't wait for the inevitable "which 3630 clone sounds more like the original" gearslutz war
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

The older versions with the slightly smaller wall wart power supply blow away the newer ones with the slightly larger power supply. If you plug one of the old ones into the new ones then it just blows. YMMV
Old 14th January 2007
that'll be the high impedance transmoidal capacitors in the pre-93 PSU batch

the later ones are hot-swappable with quadraverbs and sr-16s
Old 14th January 2007
Led
Lives for gear

I have a hand drawn schematic for the unreleased prototype of the never released 3630 killer - the 3635, which had an additional "suck" button. PM me for copies.
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor7 View Post
Agreed. Nothing like the crunchiness and pumping of a vintage 3630. This is the one high end piece of sh....er gear I own. Unfortunately, I need some new gear so I am going to have to let this beauty go. Since I respect the people here on GS I am gonna give you all the first shot at it for an incredible price. A measly $5000!! I know I could get 3-4 times this on ebay but that is the kind of guy I am.

Cheers

Minor 7

shame on you for driving the price of this jewl down... mine is still going for $10k
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Maniac

are you people serious?
I have a couple of 3630s sitting in my 'junk' rack leftover from my ADAT mix down to DAT days. Anyone intersted in a Midiverb II? The number 4 preset in killer.

The 3630s work great if anyone's interested, otherwise I might just put 'em in my rack to fill up some space and impress those' in the know.

I'll trade them for a Pendulum OCL-2.

D
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

.100% serious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashamu View Post
are you people serious?
I have a couple of 3630s sitting in my 'junk' rack leftover from my ADAT mix down to DAT days. Anyone intersted in a Midiverb II? The number 4 preset in killer.

The 3630s work great if anyone's interested, otherwise I might just put 'em in my rack to fill up some space and impress those' in the know.

I'll trade them for a Pendulum OCL-2.

D
Serious as heartburn, my friend. The 3630 is not too different than a 33609 (Neve), right behind the Fairchild 670, perhaps ahead of a grey face SSL FX G384...

Laugh all ya want, but those in the know, well...they know.

-a

P.S. Sounds like you're sitting on a gold mine!
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlersonic View Post
I have a vintage 3630 laying around somewhere; it's 230v for all those european sluts looking for one of these babies.
It's got minor scratches due to anger, I once got pissed cuz I couldn't get a bad sound out of this unit, and god knows I was trying!!

One of the most versatile comps ever, so light you can play catch with it, it's awesome, great fun for the entire family! It also makes an awesome travel-sized baseball bat, you're gonna be hitting home runs with this one, its super.

I'll sell it for 22000€. PM me.

I also got a vintage metal zone, anybody interested?
I'd actually be serious about buying that off you, if you came up with a real price for it!

Al
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Serious as heartburn, my friend. The 3630 is not too different than a 33609 (Neve), right behind the Fairchild 670, perhaps ahead of a grey face SSL FX G384...

-a

This post must be some kind of social experiment.

Years go I tried one on bass. It ruined the low end and added a nasty thin fuzz on the top. Even when it wasn't compressing. It just sounded really really bad.

DP
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

-a

So you must have 10 of these about to go up on ebay eh?

Poor little 17 year old is gonna do a search and bring up this thread, the only thread in history to ever say anything nice about the 3630tutt

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search