The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alesis 3630 Vintage compressor SECRET weapon!
Old 15th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck View Post
Years go I tried one on bass. It ruined the low end and added a nasty thin fuzz on the top. Even when it wasn't compressing. It just sounded really really bad.

DP
a bad workman blames his tools Dave, i understand.

gotta admire your balls though, standing up on this thread and dissing one of the most sought after pieces of gear in the history of audio.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeyeater View Post
a bad workman blames his tools Dave, i understand.

gotta admire your balls though, standing up on this thread and dissing one of the most sought after pieces of gear in the history of audio.
Yeah, I should stop doing that 'blaming the tools' thing.

And stop admiring my balls.

DP
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck View Post
Yeah, I should stop doing that 'blaming the tools' thing.

And stop admiring my balls.

DP
If you can't destroy a mix with 3630s, there's something wrong with you.
Old 16th January 2007
Here for the gear

2 x 3630

I just got a killer deal on a "matched" pair of 3630s with consecutive serial numbers. I paid only $1,200!!!! I will use one on the dum bus and the other will be permanently strapped across the master bus.thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malick View Post
I just got a killer deal on a "matched" pair of 3630s with consecutive serial numbers. I paid only $1,200!!!! I will use one on the dum bus and the other will be permanently strapped across the master bus.thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Way to go!! That's a killer deal! Have fun! You can probably charge about twice as much for studio time now that you got these babies.
Clients always feel confident when they see a 3630 in the racks.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Fairchild 670 trade for Alesis 3630?

So, I spoke with the gentlemen selling the really nice Fairchild 670 (yes, this guys has two!) and he asked if I'd be into a trade for the Alesis 3630...

I want to be a good guy and polite for our community, so I was nice and all, but he'd have to sweeten the deal a bit.

Any advice on how to make it a fiar trade?

-a

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.com

P.S. Why did the moderators move this thread, is the Fiarchild 670 not considered hig-end enough?
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

This is rare....the very limited 5.1 version of the 3630. Look at this beauty..... what a gem!

Stein Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Alesis 3630 Vintage compressor SECRET weapon!-3630.jpg  
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Addict

The REAL secret weapon is the Alesis Microlimiter
Old 16th January 2007

best fr*gg*in doorstop EVER......

the jim williams mod gets you the rubber underneath,

so it doesn't slip.

(when you're trying to lock the percussionist in the iso booth).

Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steins View Post
This is rare....the very limited 5.1 version of the 3630. Look at this beauty..... what a gem!

Stein Tore
Now THAT'S a rare collection! I imagine your 3630 5.1 rack alone has labels and artists banging down your door... NICE

BTW, I turned down the Fairchild 670 trade for my 3630... I just can't part with a piece of history like this... or a "piece," at least

Anyone get an invite to the NAMM Alesis unveiling of the 3630 remake? I couldn't get the invite... guess I'm not big time enough :(

-a
Old 16th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Anyone get an invite to the NAMM Alesis unveiling of the 3630 remake? I couldn't get the invite... guess I'm not big time enough :(
I think you all missed something.
The 3630 remake has already been made.
It's called Smashup, but I'm not sure whether it's still available (maybe vintage already...).
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

It's off the hizzy for shizzy!

Unfortunately I sent my 3630 via UPS for repair and they damaged it in transit. I mean I wouldn't care if this was an 1176 but we're talking an Alesis 3630. Plus then I'll only have my Art Pro Channel to record with and that's pretty much fuzz tube hell. Apparently the delivery driver mistook the box for a football and tried to kick it for a field goal for an extra point. I guess they didn't opt for the 2 point conversion...

bcgood

P.S. Click on this link to see a re-enactment of the package handling.

YouTube - Ace Ventura UPS Guy
Old 16th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feinstrom View Post
3x6x3x0=0

But maybe I didn't get the joke...
I know, but there isn't much you can do with those three numbers. Come on, work with me...
Old 16th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I know, but there isn't much you can do with those three numbers. Come on, work with me...
OK, try 3x6x3+0...
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feinstrom View Post
OK, try 3x6x3+0...
+ 15 ; )

Or where you going for the whole Studio _ _ thing?
Old 16th January 2007
Equavalent to the nanopiano fo the acoustics world.

I remember chasing a client for an overdue invoice once and ran my voice through the 3630.

He paid immediately.
Old 16th January 2007
+++
Gear Nut

36 + 30 = 66
ALESIS = 6 letters

Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

The TRUTH, believe it or not...

Did you know that "3630" was the street address for Alesis (can't remember the street). But I remember long long ago, talking to their office in the U.S. and needing to send them something, he rattled off the address and I said, "Yeah, like the compressor..." and he laughed, saying I was one (if not the) customer to put that together.

True story.

-a

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.com

P.S. FULLY realizing this sounds like the "Boy who cried wolf."
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Nut

I've been using the Bomb Factory plug-in for a couple of years and loving it, but recently a wealthy friend of mine brought over his real hardware 3630-- I gotta say, my mind is blown. No comparison. The plug-in just doesn't crap out with nearly the same ****ty 3 dimensional way. Not even close. A valuable experience for sure.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hmm... its certainly not my mind that's blown... Perhaps its my hearing: Maybe I should de-wax my ears more regularly, and whilst I'm at it my bikini line

OTOH, it kinda reminds me of the good ol' days of tape hiss and dolby
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Geez, don't you guys remember the big 3630 shootout thread from a while back? Some dude posted files from a real 3630 and from the plugin version and half the people here liked the plugin version better.

Of course when the guy posted which files were the plugin and which files were the real thing everyone started saying that they liked the real 3630 sound better.

But it doesn't matter, if you've ever used the real thing under real-world circumstances you know that the plugin doesn't compare to the real deal.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Addict

the original 3630 was actually designed incorrectly. the VCA circuit was designed without a crucial capacitor which caused it to sound like garbage.

The newer 3630 sounds much better and can be made to sound very good with a few choice part changes..
Old 16th January 2007
vls
Gear Maniac

hi!
can i see the revision by the serial number?

volker
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
Cool ...can't wait!
No WAVES is coming out with a whole Alesis plug in series called the MERD bundle.

$15k and $16k a year for the WUP (your ass ) fee. Good news is they'll pay you $5k not to buy it.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svart View Post
the original 3630 was actually designed incorrectly. the VCA circuit was designed without a crucial capacitor which caused it to sound like garbage.
It's actually that the VCA isn't fed from the correct source impedance (in my opinion). No sh!t, true story. In other words, it's totally possible to modify ANY That Corp VCA equipped compressor to have the same wonderful nasal hissing sounds of an authentic vintage 3630 with very little effort...including even your RNC!!! And we all know how wonderful those little gems are, right?! So don't dispair over rising prices of vintage 3630's since a completely effective 3630 mod exists for ANY That Corp VCA equipped compressor!
Old 17th January 2007
On a serious note, my 3630 will probably never leave my rack. I've offered it for sale a couple of times, but ended up not having the heart to sell it.

Although it stays in the rack, I haven't run anything through it the last few years, since it's kind of a waste because of the vast difference in quality between the unit and the group. The 3630 is just often too good for the band (seriously).

My biggest complaint is that I paid top dollar for it and now don't really use it. I just can't bring myself to sell it.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

At the impending NAMM show there will be an "impulse response mod" for the Altiverb and a custom algo mod that lets it TOTALLY emulate all the crushing distortion and loss of depth and realism associated with the classic 3630 sound.

The new software emulation adds "Hash Brown" controls for time stretching distortion effects and classic Brown sound, very BROWN! And warm! Warm and brown! Be careful you don't get it on your shoes. It smells bad.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

I'm expecting two things at Namm:

1. New desk- a collaborative effort for a new large format console desk that gives you an ART Mic Pre, Behringer EQ, Alesis 3630 compressor on every channel- with a master fader that is fixed at -infinity

2. Alesis 3630 modelling plugin.
Old 17th January 2007

i believe they're releasing the 3630 'doorstop' plug, as well.

still not sure how THAT's gonna work......

i mean the 3630 works GREAT as an ACTUAL doorstop.....

(with the JW 'rubber strip' mod)

Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

BEWARE

It has come to my attention that someone is selling counterfeit Alesis 3630 on eBay! If you see a 3630 on eBay, you'll KNOW it is a fraud because it'll be selling for some insane cheap price like $35 or something.

If it's to good to be true...

DONT BE FOOLED

-a

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search