The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
<$700 Monitors for Tiny Cubist Room
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Nut

<$700 Monitors for Tiny Cubist Room

Hello Folks. I am in the market for my first pair of monitors. I have been on the road for a couple years, and have generally mixed demos with a pair of headphones. In a van you have no other choice really. I'm worried about ear fatigue, and I'm going to be staying in one place for a while. Plus, my mixes never seem to translate (obviously may have to do with my skills, not the headphones)

Room: One tiny 10 x 10 cube. Small budget for treatment. (Edit: After doing 15 minutes of research I have discovered that my proposed tiny room has the "worst" dimensions for monitoring. So, it is time to take over another room ... 12 x 20)
Music Style: Accoustic guitars, wurlies, rhodes, cello, crisp high endy vox, (simulated) analog synths. Some rock numbers. Check It Out
Budget: $0 - $700

I've read the boards, and have come to the conclusion that people like monitors because: 1) they don't tire your ears out 2) they expose faults in a mix 3) they clearly describe a full range of frequencies or 3) make things sound "good". Since I'm not mixing for a living, I guess my needs are very modest. Perhaps cheaper is better? Maybe I'm lucky because I have no frame of reference. Here is the list I came up with :

Event Tuned Reference 6 $199.97
Yamaha HS80M $349.97
Genelec 8030A $625.97
Yamaha MSP7 Studio $599.97
Event Studio Precision 8 $649.97
Tannoy Reveal 5A $698.87
Tannoy Reveal 8D $699.00

Any thoughts? I've tried to check these out at Guitar Center, but you're lucky to even have someone spend five minutes with you. Thoughts? I'm planning to buy in the next week or so, so I'll be sure to report back.

Last edited by astorian; 14th January 2007 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: Noticed need for correction
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
Budget: $0 - $700

Here is the list I came up with :

Event Tuned Reference 6 $199.97
Yamaha HS80M $349.97
Genelec 8030A $625.97
Yamaha MSP7 Studio $599.97
Event Studio Precision 8 $649.97
Tannoy Reveal 5A $698.87
Tannoy Reveal 8D $699.00
Some of the prices you are listing are for only one monitor (Events, Genelec, Yamaha). Double that for a pair. It seems that the next tier up from "budget" monitors starts around 800-1000 and up for a pair. I'd either save up for a pair in this bracket (Dynaudio BM5A, Adam, Event SP8 or SP6) or buy something really inexpensive and keep the extra money for a future upgrade. Almost more important than the monitors themselves is the room/acoustics and learning the monitors. I've learned a pair of M-Audio BX8's and get mixes that translate very well. These are out there used for $250. I think the Alesis monitors are reasonable in this category and there are quite a few reputable folks who have very good things to say about the Behringer monitors (i've never tried them). They're just ridiculously cheap and you can always return them if you don't like them.

Dan Fox
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Nut

shows you what I know ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPRYZ View Post
Some of the prices you are listing are for only one monitor (Events, Genelec, Yamaha). Double that for a pair. It seems that the next tier up from "budget" monitors starts around 800-1000 and up for a pair. I'd either save up for a pair in this bracket (Dynaudio BM5A, Adam, Event SP8 or SP6) or buy something really inexpensive and keep the extra money for a future upgrade.
HA! Shows you how little I know about monitors. I think that officially qualifies me for a really inexpensive pair. I'll work with the room, learn a cheaper pair, and then upgrade with some knowledge. Thanks Dan.
Old 15th January 2007
Jai guru deva om

The Reveal 5A are fantastic small monitors with great detail. I would seriously consider checking out a pair.

War
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Can't say enough about the Blue Sky Mediadesks. Honest, easy on the ears, tight and accurate subwoofer. They're $500 new, I grabbed mine on eBay for $300.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search