The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Demagnetizing TEAC 3340S Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 9th October 2015
Here for the gear

Demagnetizing TEAC 3340S

Hi guys,

I remember reading somewhere that when demagnetizing your tape recorder heads you should be careful not to get close to the VUs.

How do I proceed on a TEAC 3340S where the VUs are 2 inches away from the heads?

Thank you!
Old 9th October 2015
Gear Addict

I think the issue is to make sure the machine is powered down before demagnetizingin order to avoid VU meter damage. Call up RB Anis (manufacturer of great demagnetizers) to confirm.
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT View Post
I think the issue is to make sure the machine is powered down before demagnetizingin order to avoid VU meter damage. Call up RB Anis (manufacturer of great demagnetizers) to confirm.
Absolutely, power should be off. Then simply proceed in the normal manner.
Old 9th October 2015
Here for the gear

This means I can proceed as usual by approching the heads slowly, even if it's from over the VUs?

Thank you very much guys!
Old 9th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Yes, don't worry about the VUs on a 3340. I demaged mine hundreds of times with no problems. Have fun with the machine.
Old 9th October 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks! Have a good weekend.
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

Yes, turn off your machine when you de-mag it.
A good demagnetizer has a gauss level that is thousands of times greater than what a tape produces.
As you can imagine, that would put a tremendous stress on the electronics if they were amplifying the signal.

While I have never seen the amplifiers damaged from this I sure wouldn't want to stress them like that.

Last edited by dbbubba; 11th October 2015 at 04:33 AM..
Old 10th October 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks! Great infos.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search