The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drum editing question
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Drum editing question

I admit to being new to this technique and wanted to see if you guys may have some suggestions on how to increase and improve workflow.

Long story short, I took a tune that I recorded and cut the kick, snare and toms to sync up better. The drums still feel like they were played with a llive drummer and dont have the stiff midi feel. The question that I have is this. What is the most effective way to get the room and overhead tracks to sync up with the new kick, snare and tom tracks? I use Nuendo and I can use the timewarp function but I wanted to see if there was a better way to do this.

How is Melodyne for drum editing?

Thanks in advance.
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Addict

In order to get everything to sync up right, don't move just the kick or just the snare. Move everything together. In Pro Tools I group the drums tracks (I assume that's possible in Nuendo) and it keeps everything lined up nicely. I'll cut on both sides of the hit that I want to move, then I'll line it up the way I want it. Then expand out on both sides and cross fade. As long as you're cross fading before or after a hit, you usually can't hear it.

hope that helps.

Is Beat Detective an option? Or is that only Pro Tools? I use it extensively...I still have to go back through and check everything, but it only takes 15 minutes as opposed to an hour plus!
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart View Post
I admit to being new to this technique and wanted to see if you guys may have some suggestions on how to increase and improve workflow.

Long story short, I took a tune that I recorded and cut the kick, snare and toms to sync up better. The drums still feel like they were played with a live drummer and dont have the stiff midi feel. The question that I have is this. What is the most effective way to get the room and overhead tracks to sync up with the new kick, snare and tom tracks? I use Nuendo and I can use the timewarp function but I wanted to see if there was a better way to do this.

Thanks in advance.

Melodyne is ok but not really a good editor.

I split the measures in Soundforge with 'auto region' and import them into ACID. You only need to make one region list and just use it for all the tracks. Acid will quantize for you This is what some loop cd producer do when using a real kit.

You can use the acid beat mapper but the drummer has to be as perfect as phil rudd or have played to a click.
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Maniac

phase

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart View Post

Long story short, I took a tune that I recorded and cut the kick, snare and toms to sync up better. The drums still feel like they were played with a llive drummer and dont have the stiff midi feel. The question that I have is this. What is the most effective way to get the room and overhead tracks to sync up with the new kick, snare and tom tracks? I use Nuendo and I can use the timewarp function but I wanted to see if there was a better way to do this.

Thanks in advance.
remember that there is a phase relationship between the different mic signals you have recorded, so every drum track must be chopped. If that particular bar doesnt have what you want then copy paste from a good one.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, you've gotta group everything and move it all at once, otherwise you'll be in a boatload of phase trouble like Kore said.

Try to find an equivalent of Beat Detective for Nuendo (dunno if there is one.) It's amazing. I've been editing drums for a few nights straight, and I am simply amazed at how much time this tool saves and how good it sounds with minimal after-editing.

With Beat Detective and Melodyne, I'm pretty sure I could turn a recording of "Oh, Holy Night" into "Black Dog." Amazing times we live in.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the tips so far. I'm going to get on them...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search