The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mesa Rect/Chameleon Labs Pre/Heavy Guitars..which mics of mine for recording?
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Mesa Rect/Chameleon Labs Pre/Heavy Guitars..which mics of mine for recording?

Let's see: What do you need to know?

I don't need to worry about track limits.

I'm recording through 2 Chameleon Labs Pre's. Anymore than 2 mics at a time requires using the preamps on a Tascam M2600 or Studio Projects VTB-1 tube pre.

I don't have a compressor or any other outboard gear worth using. This will be done ITB until I get more cash friendly.

I use a MOTU 24 I/O for the interface.

We play heavy, old schoolish punk with a touch of metal.

For the rhythm tracks, he'll be using a nicely setup esp guitar through the Mesa dual rect and a 4X12" cab with nice Celestian speakers.

I plan on doing 3 performances. There will be 2 rhythm and 1 with the solo. The two rhythm will be panned mostly L and R. I could do 2 each on rhythm for 5 total. I'm open to anything but muddiness. (He plays clean, though.)

I'm going to switch setups and use a Strat/Marshall deal for the center track with the solo on it.

Right now I've got to decide what mics to use for my Left and Right rhythm tracks.

I've got :
2--Oktava MK 319's (factory, not matched)
2--SM 57's.
4--SM 58's.
1--SM 58 Beta
1-Studio Projects C-1 (The Older One)
3-Sen. E-604's
Many-Other crappy mics that I wouldn't use for anything.

I could use two of the same mics with the same pre for my first real stereo deal or combine. I dunno.

I'm looking for advice on which to use and how close to put one or the other if it is going to involve 2 mics.

Does anyone make "iso booths" with blankets etc to isolate and capture more sound?

Also, I've got half of my closet treated with fiberboard and covered in cloth. I use it to record vocals. Would you recommend putting the cab in there to record?

I have carpeted floors/ 8-10 footish ceilings (it vaults in the center of the square room. The walls are lightly treated and the ceiling is very soft. I can't think of anything else.

Advise on the future Marshall/Strat setup wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks again.
--Rich

This place is a goldmine.

(By the way; I do use the search function all the time. This is pretty specific, though.)
Old 13th January 2007
start with one sm57 and read the slipperman distorted gtrs from hell thread...
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 View Post
start with one sm57 and read the slipperman distorted gtrs from hell thread...
I like the 57 too. But if you read slippermans distorted gtrs from hell
the whole music scene may change by the time you understand a word that guy says

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search