The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MIDI Beat Clock (need quick help)
Old 13th January 2007
Here for the gear

MIDI Beat Clock (need quick help)

Hello, I run Protools 6.9 on OSX on a 002R. My friend has drum sequences on his Alesis Sr-16 that I want to sync to a session in Protools. I typically use software drums so haven't had to deal with this before. I have the MIDI Beat Clock enabled and it gets to the Sr-16, but it is not clicking in time with the 120 bpm tempo. The SR-16 responds to the MIDI Beat clock but it is driven super fast. The drum sequence starts on time and seems to receiving a rhythm, (the bpm on the drum machine turns to ----), but it is at light speed. I want it to sync with the 120 bpm Protools session at 120 bpm. I'm sure I'm doing something very simple very wrong, I can't find anything in either manual. I'd really appreciate a quick word or two from someone.
Old 13th January 2007
Gear Nut

Are you shure thr alesis is beatclock ready? I would think it uses MTC. Midi Time Code. But it's just a guess...

T
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

I do just that with the SR-16 (midi beat clock). Two things could be happening:

The Note in protools is set to 8th, 16th or half. It is where tempo is on ruler bar and should be set to quarter. If you do not see it on ruler bar then you need to show under veiw menu. Make sure the Transport is not set to manual (conductor should be on). Make sure there is no other midi device on that is set to a different tempo sending out midi beat clock.

The SR-16 should have 3 dashes in the tempo window when it is receiving Midi Beat Clock. This should happen when you initiate play in Pro Tools.

There was a past version of Protools (version escapes me, 6.9 something), if you did not start song from absolute beginning the Midi Beat Clock Transmission would cause the SR-16 to be out of sync.

www.bluethumbproductions.com
Old 14th January 2007
Here for the gear

gosh,,, still no turkey

The SR-16 shows ---, and is clearly getting the beat clock...I turned on the conductor. MIDI Beat Clock is enabled. And I changed the note button (the one just to the left of the conductor) to 1/4th..which effects the tempo, but only when the conductor is not highlighted. 1/1 is super fast, 1/4 is still too fast (not 120 bpm as indicated on the PT slider), and 1/16 is too slow, but none match 120 bpm and none play the SR-16 at the right speed. I really appreciate your help [email protected], I'm up a tree...anybody?
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear
REally hard to say without being there. It could have something to do with how the sequence in the SR16 was written, or maybe quantized. I would see if there is simple 4/4 type pattern in the machine, and see if it synchs to PT in 120. That SHOULD work. If it DOES...then I suspect the drum patter was written with another referece note value, of quantized to an incorret value, that sounds the same.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergusan Latkey View Post
The SR-16 shows ---, and is clearly getting the beat clock...I turned on the conductor. MIDI Beat Clock is enabled. And I changed the note button (the one just to the left of the conductor) to 1/4th..which effects the tempo, but only when the conductor is not highlighted. 1/1 is super fast, 1/4 is still too fast (not 120 bpm as indicated on the PT slider), and 1/16 is too slow, but none match 120 bpm and none play the SR-16 at the right speed. I really appreciate your help [email protected], I'm up a tree...anybody?
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

What if you cut the tempo in PT in half?
Or, just record the Alesis drums as audio, and then go back and set the PT tempo so the bar lines match up. Could be 119.4, or 120.8. Whatever. I do that with my Roland R8 sometimes, and the tempo never quite matches. You drag the audio to the beginning of a bar line at the front of the song, and then scroll to the end and see how far off the bar line is. Then you keep tweaking the tempo until the bar lines sync up with the kick.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search