The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
With or Without a Pultec
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

With or Without a Pultec

Hello fellow sluts,

I'm geared to invest in a Pultec 1a due to what people have said about them, and since I'm building a vintage project I really can't do without one. However, I have no idea what it is that I'm looking for (without the Joshua Tree).

Does anybody know of any place that has track before and after samples using a Pultec?
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

How about hire someone to process some of your tracks with a Pultec.

Then you'll really get a sense of it. Considering what a good Pultec costs, why not?
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

the pulltecs are awesome.. but they do take quite a bit to get used to... since they work very differently from most eqs... once you get the hang of it... they are very easy to use...
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, I asked the guy who racks my Quad Eights what the difference was between an EQH and an EQP.

He got out the schematics and wave patterns along with pic and description.

It's a really odd machine because you can cut and boost the signal at the same time.

Sounds like it'd take a little while to get used to and utilize.
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post
Yeah, I asked the guy who racks my Quad Eights what the difference was between an EQH and an EQP.

He got out the schematics and wave patterns along with pic and description.

It's a really odd machine because you can cut and boost the signal at the same time.

Sounds like it'd take a little while to get used to and utilize.
Go rent some..
your in LA..plenty of rental places..
Also try an EQP1-A3 ..GREAT
Try Platinum audio rentals..Ask for Sean
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Rental? Don't I need a deposit to match cost though?
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Send me a couple tracks, I'll run them through some pultecs for you and tell you what the settings were.

The "boost and cut at the same time" concept is a little tricky but once you mess with it a little bit it's pretty easy to get a feel for it. Although I can't rattle off the specs from the top of my head, I understand it to be two different types of curve- so you can boost at 100 Hz and attenuate at 100 Hz and you end up with sort of a bump at 100 Hz with everything below being cut. I was amazed when I first tried one of these how simple and non-flexible they seem. You have boost/cut at 30,60 and 100 Hz and boost/cut at 3k,5k,8k and 10k. The different models have some different frequencies etc. but they are all 2-band EQ's with the same basic layout and ease of use. After using them every day for about 8 years now I must admit I am amazingly addicted to them and always wish I had more of them... Soon that will be a reality Tracking guitars (especially heavy metal distortion) you can get the meanest tones to tape with them, like they say even just having it hooked up and "in bypass" makes stuff sound better, although on the rare occasion that I am following that train of thought I can't resist but to take it out of bypass and turn the knobs at least a little bit. i.e. +1 at 3k gives guitars a bite that in my opinion you can't get anywhere else, it's in that certain curve they have... Also +5 or so at 10k on a lead vocal (or as much as you can get away with) makes the vocals jump out of a mix with a shimmer, whereas +5 at 10k on another EQ such as a 1073 etc can make the vocal brighter but can turn out to be kind of harsh or overdone. It's pretty much good on everything, but it does take some time to learn exactly what to do with it, and when I first tried them I remember being kind of unimpressed until I saw what other guys were doing with them. One thing I haven't done other than for a line test is run a full mix through them. I have heard of people doing this before but I don't think it really happens all that often anymore. That probably is just an over-generalization on my part but I haven't ever seen it done, because by the time most people get their "whole mix" they are already using all the pultecs...

Have fun!
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

An EQP-1A or 1A3 would be what you want if you have deep enough pockets.

There are a number of good repros out there if you don't have to have something old.

The EAR 822 and the Mercury are two copies that sound as good or maybe better than the originals imo.

Avoid the tubetech at all costs. It looks like a Pultec but doesn't sound anything like one.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Awesome! Thanks Poncival! Thanks Everybody!
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrplace View Post

There are a number of good repros out there if you don't have to have something old.

The EAR 822 and the Mercury are two copies that sound as good or maybe better than the originals imo.
Might as well Throw in the Amtec too.. probably easy to demo through Mercenary.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear
if you can't find an EQP1-A, the EQH-2 is also a great EQ and a little less expensive. also has a bit less control than EQP1A (no Q on high freq, etc.), but 'pultec sound' is definitely there.

if you've never heard one, roundbadge and max cooper both gave you good suggestions.

beware of counterfeits. originals have peerless or triad xformers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search