The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analogue summing help!? Saturation Plugins
Old 10th October 2015
Lives for gear
This thread says a lot about the power of internet brainwashing.
OP likes the mixer's work but he then found out he doesn't use
analog-bs-summing, go figure..
Now with this bias he questions a mix that hasn't even been done yet,
fearing it'll be missing the magic (bs) of analog summing.
Wow.
Come one guys, let's be real, at least the more experienced people in here.
Old 10th October 2015
Lives for gear
Oh and just to be fair and avoid a $hitstorm: mixing into something is not
the same as slapping it at the end of a mix and different desn't mean better.
Old 10th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack Doofa View Post
My point was simple. What is stopping the OP from getting the best of both worlds?
Unless "politics" come into play then let they guy who he likes to get his mix where he wants it ITB "In The Box/Bedroom" then go down to the studio and spread the mix out over as many channels as you want.

Simple solution to a simple problem. Unless for some reason you are handcuffed to your own room and system. Take your monitors if you have to. Engineers didn't used to have their own studios.

And from the sounds of the example mix he could probably benefit from access to some headroom.
Sure - if that's what you want to do.

No reason why an ITB mix should be done in a bedroom though - phrasing it like that implies it's a lesser approach. Plenty of great ITB mix setups.

Historically, most mix engineers had a preference of 2/3 studios - and IME used to whinge/be a bit nervous when made to go elsewhere. Yes, some would bring their own monitors, but that's only 50% of the monitoring.

I'm not judging the example mix, but I generally can't hear "headroom". Bad gainstaging/overcompression.overloading yes - but that's generally down to the individual.

I'm just saying that as an experiment, why not! But first, hire the guy you like and get him to mix the track his way. Otherwise, you're paying twice - a day to mix at home, and a day plus studio time to fiddle in an unfamiliar environment.

The 2nd day might be unnecessary.

Hybrid approaches aside, if it were a straight choice "ITB good mixes vs OTB not so good" I've no idea why there's a decision to make!
Old 10th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Sure - if that's what you want to do.

No reason why an ITB mix should be done in a bedroom though - phrasing it like that implies it's a lesser approach. Plenty of great ITB mix setups.

Historically, most mix engineers had a preference of 2/3 studios - and IME used to whinge/be a bit nervous when made to go elsewhere. Yes, some would bring their own monitors, but that's only 50% of the monitoring.

I'm not judging the example mix, but I generally can't hear "headroom". Bad gainstaging/overcompression.overloading yes - but that's generally down to the individual.

I'm just saying that as an experiment, why not! But first, hire the guy you like and get him to mix the track his way. Otherwise, you're paying twice - a day to mix at home, and a day plus studio time to fiddle in an unfamiliar environment.

The 2nd day might be unnecessary.

Hybrid approaches aside, if it were a straight choice "ITB good mixes vs OTB not so good" I've no idea why there's a decision to make!
I had no idea it was this complicated. I just wanted to point out that "maybe" his preferred engineer "could perhaps" use the studio with the console?
It seems obvious to me.....

Is it finally happening, is the world changing too fast for me to keep up?
Old 10th October 2015
Quote:
I had no idea it was this complicated. I just wanted to point out that "maybe" his preferred engineer "could perhaps" use the studio with the console?
It seems obvious to me.....

Is it finally happening, is the world changing too fast for me to keep up?
No, I didn't think it was complicated either - choose the guy whose work you like, let them do you a mix!
Old 10th October 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
My point was simple. What is stopping the OP from getting the best of both worlds?
Unless "politics" come into play then let they guy who he likes to get his mix where he wants it ITB "In The Box/Bedroom" then go down to the studio and spread the mix out over as many channels as you want.
From what the OP posted, the ITB guy is not working in a bedroom. He is working in a studio.

Quote:
Simple solution to a simple problem.
It is not a solution at all as as been extensively explained.

Quote:
And from the sounds of the example mix he could probably benefit from access to some headroom.
Nothing gives more headroom than working ITB.

Alistair
Old 10th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
It is not a solution at all as as been extensively explained.
Alistair
Determined to argue aren't you?

Why is it not a solution for the OP? I am obviously missing it....
Old 11th October 2015
Gear Head

It doesn't have to go through a console to sound good.

Inside Track: Paramore

That record sounds pretty good to me.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search