The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice regarding pres and ADAT expansion (Audient, Focusrite, ART, UA...)
Old 8th October 2015
Gear Head

Advice regarding pres and ADAT expansion (Audient, Focusrite, ART, UA...)

Hi, folks! I´m a newbie here! First of all, sorry for my English...

I´ve been reading the forum for several weeks now trying to clear up my mind, and each time I enter I become more confused :D

I would like to seek advice from you, so I´ll explain my situation:

I run a home studio, Jotun Studio, and I own some decent but not too fancy pieces of equipment: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Fractal Audio Axe FX II, Event TR8 , Audio Technica ATH-M50 and mics like Audio Technica AT4040 & AT4041, Shure SM7B & SM57, AKG C1000S x2 & D112 & C518M x4 and a powerful PC and laptop.

I use this gear to record and mix the bands I work with (mostly metal and rock, but also pop and other genres), and I want some extra channels (the Scarlett´s 8 channels are not enough sometimes) but also wanted to add some warmth to my vocals.

The fact is that I had a TL Audio VP1 and sold it because I´m used to work in my DAW and all the extra features it had were too much.

So now I´m looking for an ADAT expansion and maybe a nice preamp. My budget is around 800 € (all prices are Euro from now on) and also using the minimum rack space possible should be a bonus (not a decissive factor, but I prefer the gear to be 1 unit if possible), since I have to move my equipment some times to record.

I´ve got to "narrow" my search and some of my ADAT options are:

- Audient ASP800 (all in one, since its retro channels add some character to the signal, and it´s said to have a high quality) 777 €
- Behringer ADA8200 or 8000 (despite Behringer´s reputation these pieces of gear seem to have a very good name) combined with a mic preamp. 212 / 157 (around 100 for an ADA8000 second hand)
- Add another Focusrite gear, like the Octopre MKII or even another interface (another Scarlett 18i20, Saffire Pro 40 or even Liquid Saffire 56) (from 200 to 450 for the LS56, all second hand)

For my mic preamp, my choices are:

- Focusrite ISA One (it´s said to be neutral sounding, but I think I like the pres in my Scarlett) (around 500 second hand)
- ART PRO MPA II (I know ART isn´t very appreciated by some users, but I like the options this pre has, and I would switch its tubes) I even considered matching it with the VLA compressor (I can get them in Spain for 250 and 220 € respectively) (250 second hand)
- Universal Audio Solo 610 or 110, LA-610 MKII (more expensive, so I´m not sure about it) or 710 (even 4-710) (650 for the Solo 610 and the cheaper I´ve seen the LA610 is 900, but it was a steal)

I know I´ve got a lot of choices going on, but I can´t make up my mind, and also it´s almost impossible for me to test these pieces of gear where I live, so I´ve got to research a lot before I make any decision.

Thank you very much in advance!
Old 8th October 2015
Gear Maniac

I have an ISA 828 (the same preamp design as the ISA One) and it works really well as an all around kind of preamp. Lots of clean gain for ribbon mics and the SM7b.

Keep in mind that you can't bypass the preamp stage in the Behringer ADA8000 or the 8200, so you'll be running whatever nice preamp you get through that cruddy circuitry.
Old 8th October 2015
Gear Head

Thanks a lot for the input, Dave.

I can get a semi new ISA 828 for 1500 € (it´s almost double my budget, but I could do the effort if it pays). The thing is, ¿can I hook it up to my Scarlett in some way? The one I´ve seen has only a 25 pin cable, but no digital card attached, so I guess I would have to buy that card, and it would be an extra expense.

One of my main concerns is on the things you pointed out: the preamps should be clean, no noise, so that I can run my SM7B through it right, with no hum or hiss.

Regarding the preamps of the Behringer, I would use them for tracking drums (and later replacing) or recording non crucial tracks. If I went that route, the external preamp would be run through the Scarlett. In fact, the ISA One I´ve seen has the digital card attached, so I would link it to my interface via ADAT.

Thanks!
Old 8th October 2015
I can't comment on the ASP800, but I the ASP880 is pretty nice. There are good routing options and the pres are nice. It has decent conversion as well.
Old 8th October 2015
Gear Head

Thanks, Nicksu.

In fact the ASP880 is the one that made me realize that Audient was releasing these new models. It has an impedance knob on each channel that I like, but I think the retro channels in the 800 suit my needs better.
Old 8th October 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotun Studio View Post
Thanks a lot for the input, Dave.

I can get a semi new ISA 828 for 1500 € (it´s almost double my budget, but I could do the effort if it pays). The thing is, ¿can I hook it up to my Scarlett in some way? The one I´ve seen has only a 25 pin cable, but no digital card attached, so I guess I would have to buy that card, and it would be an extra expense.

One of my main concerns is on the things you pointed out: the preamps should be clean, no noise, so that I can run my SM7B through it right, with no hum or hiss.

Regarding the preamps of the Behringer, I would use them for tracking drums (and later replacing) or recording non crucial tracks. If I went that route, the external preamp would be run through the Scarlett. In fact, the ISA One I´ve seen has the digital card attached, so I would link it to my interface via ADAT.

Thanks!
If the ISA 828 is a bit out of your budget, you could also get the ISA 428 with the digital card. I can vouch for the quality of the digital card's converters... they're excellent. The digital card for the 424 will give you 8 channels of ADAT conversion: four from the pre section of the 424 and 4 line inputs. That might be a better option if you're looking to grow in the future. I've owned an ADA8000 from Behringer and the preamps are CRAP. Very lifeless on drums.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePiatek View Post
If the ISA 828 is a bit out of your budget, you could also get the ISA 428 with the digital card. I can vouch for the quality of the digital card's converters... they're excellent. The digital card for the 424 will give you 8 channels of ADAT conversion: four from the pre section of the 424 and 4 line inputs. That might be a better option if you're looking to grow in the future. I've owned an ADA8000 from Behringer and the preamps are CRAP. Very lifeless on drums.
Thanks for the advice, Dave.

In fact, the ISA 428 is also over my budget (1000 € here second hand plus the digital card).

I´ve checked Focusrite´s Saffire Pro 40 and Scarlett 18i20 pres (in fact I´ve had them both) and think they sound quite well, very clean and nice overall sound.

So I may go for something in the middle: not the crap you say ADA8000 is :D but also not an over-my-budget piece of gear such as high end ISAs. I may go for the Octopre MKII or a Saffire Pro 40.

By the way, someone has just told me that you can´t hook up a Saffire Pro 40 to a Scarlett 18i20 via ADAT (so that the Pro 40 works as an ADAT expansion only). Can you tell me anything about it?

And the thing is, if I go that route (Octo or Pro 40) I don´t know if I should go for the ART Pro MPA II or if it´s just a waste of money.

Thanks again!
Old 8th October 2015
The ASP800 is nice, can't beat it for the price. The retro channels get a lot of use here.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralart View Post
The ASP800 is nice, can't beat it for the price. The retro channels get a lot of use here.
That´s the thing...I´m not sure how much use or versatility I can get of those two channels, or if the pres and AD converters are much better than the ones on the Focusrite Octopre, Pro40 or Scarlett 18i20.

Anyway, I´m trying to find out if I can hook a Saffire Pro40 to a Scarlett 18i20 and I can´t find it out, so if anyone could help me, I´d appreciate that.

Thanks!
Old 9th October 2015 | Show parent
Funny you mention the 18i20. I used to use the Focusrite via adat for just the pres. The ASP800 sounds noticeably better.

Not sure if the method is the same with the Saffire Pro40 but with the 18i20 you hook it up to the computer, open mix control and assign inputs 1-8 to adat outputs 1-8 (so input 1 = adat out 1) and then "save to hardware".

Quote:
That´s the thing...I´m not sure how much use or versatility I can get of those two channels, or if the pres and AD converters are much better than the ones on the Focusrite Octopre, Pro40 or Scarlett 18i20.

Anyway, I´m trying to find out if I can hook a Saffire Pro40 to a Scarlett 18i20 and I can´t find it out, so if anyone could help me, I´d appreciate that.

Thanks!
Gear Head

Quote:
Funny you mention the 18i20. I used to use the Focusrite via adat for just the pres. The ASP800 sounds noticeably better.

Not sure if the method is the same with the Saffire Pro40 but with the 18i20 you hook it up to the computer, open mix control and assign inputs 1-8 to adat outputs 1-8 (so input 1 = adat out 1) and then "save to hardware".
What differences can you appreciate between the ASP800 and the 18i20, Auralart?

Regarding the ADAT thing, I read Focusrite page and they say that, besides Octopre, you can use Pro 40, 18i20 ans Liquid 56 to send their inputs to their ADAT outputs, and the method they described is the one you mentioned, so I guess the Pro 40 is a choice.

Now I´m mostly decided, but I´m torn between these two options:

- Audient ASP800: all-in-one solution and in a one rack space.

- Focusrite Octopre/Pro40/18i20 + ISA One: but I don´t know if the ISA quality is better than the ASP800. Also I would have to decide wheter I would go for the ISA´s digital card or not.

Thanks!
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

I would go with the Audient. That way you have the confidence knowing you have at least 8 respected upper grade mic amps for tracking and then you can always try them with your other sources you might think need a lift in quality.

If you find you're still not getting that extra "warmth" you're looking for after the upgrade then maybe think about about going to a single channel of next-level (both financial and relative quality) character pre for individual sources?

R.
Quote:
What differences can you appreciate between the ASP800 and the 18i20, Auralart?

Regarding the ADAT thing, I read Focusrite page and they say that, besides Octopre, you can use Pro 40, 18i20 ans Liquid 56 to send their inputs to their ADAT outputs, and the method they described is the one you mentioned, so I guess the Pro 40 is a choice.

Now I´m mostly decided, but I´m torn between these two options:

- Audient ASP800: all-in-one solution and in a one rack space.

- Focusrite Octopre/Pro40/18i20 + ISA One: but I don´t know if the ISA quality is better than the ASP800. Also I would have to decide wheter I would go for the ISA´s digital card or not.

Thanks!
I've only been using the ASP800 for a few days but the 18i20 channels to me are for the lack of a better word blurry in comparison. The ASP800 is more focused, and tighter in the low-lower mid range.

I typically only used the 18i20 channels for things that were not very important in the mix. I would not mind tracking a lead vocal through the Audient.

The ONLY thing so far that the audient did not deliver is enough gain for ribbons and the SM7 on quiet to mid level sources. I did use a Cloudlifter with a ribbon going through one of the retro channels with some IRON and loved it. My client right away told me thats the sound he wants.

Can't comment on the ISA as I've never used it.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
I would go with the Audient. That way you have the confidence knowing you have at least 8 respected upper grade mic amps for tracking and then you can always try them with your other sources you might think need a lift in quality.

If you find you're still not getting that extra "warmth" you're looking for after the upgrade then maybe think about about going to a single channel of next-level (both financial and relative quality) character pre for individual sources?

R.
The ASP800 was my first intention, really, but when I began digging, I saw other possibilities and I´m not sure of what to do...

The problem here is that ASP800 is so new that it´s very difficult to find samples and reviews of it, and other options are easier to read about.

Thanks!

Quote:
I've only been using the ASP800 for a few days but the 18i20 channels to me are for the lack of a better word blurry in comparison. The ASP800 is more focused, and tighter in the low-lower mid range.

I typically only used the 18i20 channels for things that were not very important in the mix. I would not mind tracking a lead vocal through the Audient.

The ONLY thing so far that the audient did not deliver is enough gain for ribbons and the SM7 on quiet to mid level sources. I did use a Cloudlifter with a ribbon going through one of the retro channels with some IRON and loved it. My client right away told me thats the sound he wants.

Can't comment on the ISA as I've never used it.
Mmmm, this is interesting. Blurry is an interesting description, since a friend told me, when I upgraded to a Focusrite interface that it seemed that I had "removed a blanket over the audio now".

I guess it won´t be so drastic, but if the change is similar to that one, it may be worth it.

But, one problem here is that regarding the gain. I use the SM7B a lot, since I record metal and rock and it´s quite useful for aggressive vocals, and not having enough gain worries me. Anyway, in the 18i20 I´ve got to turn the gain knob a lot (I´d say between 8 and 10) to hear the mic well, thus increasing noise, so if the ASP800 delivers the same way or even better, it might be fine for me.

The thing about the ISA One is that a lot of people speaks wonders about it and I can get it for a good price semi new, and combined with a second hand Octopre or similar it´s a cheaper option than the Audient ASP800, though not that much, really.

Thanks for your input!
Old 11th October 2015
Gear Head

Well, thanks to your opinions I´ve mostly decided what to do.

The main option is:

- Audient ASP800 (which I´ll hook to my Scarlett 18i20)
- Focusrite ISA One (also hooking it up to the 18i20 or to the ASP and then to the 18i20 via ADAT)

But I still have some doubts:

- Will the ISA One give me something the ASP800 won´t?
- Should I save some bucks and go for an Octopre or similar?
- The ART Pro MPAII still "haunts" me, and I like it being a double pre. Some guy here in Spain is selling a semi new one with General Electrics 12AX7 valves in it for around 250 €, but I fear it would add much more noise than the ISA One (I´ve got to "feed" an SM7B)

Thanks again to all you!
Old 11th October 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well, thanks to your opinions I´ve mostly decided what to do.

The main option is:

- Audient ASP800 (which I´ll hook to my Scarlett 18i20)
- Focusrite ISA One (also hooking it up to the 18i20 or to the ASP and then to the 18i20 via ADAT)

But I still have some doubts:

- Will the ISA One give me something the ASP800 won´t?
- Should I save some bucks and go for an Octopre or similar?
- The ART Pro MPAII still "haunts" me, and I like it being a double pre. Some guy here in Spain is selling a semi new one with General Electrics 12AX7 valves in it for around 250 €, but I fear it would add much more noise than the ISA One (I´ve got to "feed" an SM7B)

Thanks again to all you!
Do yourself a favour and go for the Audient. I think you'll always have a use for it, but i'm sure you will grow out of the Octopre sooner or later.
I had an Octopre years ago and it was pretty flat compared to the ISAs i use now. The ASP preamps will be different from the ISAs, but not much worse.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou latch View Post
Do yourself a favour and go for the Audient. I think you'll always have a use for it, but i'm sure you will grow out of the Octopre sooner or later.
I had an Octopre years ago and it was pretty flat compared to the ISAs i use now. The ASP preamps will be different from the ISAs, but not much worse.
Thanks, Lou!

I think that the retro channels and the clarity of the ASP800 will be a nice tool.

The thing is that I thought of buying an ISA One beside the ASP800, to have a different character, and to have nice clear gain for the SM7B (some folks here have said that the ASP800 can´t feed the SM7B properly, and it adds some noise). What do you think about it? It may seem like an overkill getting the ASP800 and the ISA One...
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks, Lou!

I think that the retro channels and the clarity of the ASP800 will be a nice tool.

The thing is that I thought of buying an ISA One beside the ASP800, to have a different character, and to have nice clear gain for the SM7B (some folks here have said that the ASP800 can´t feed the SM7B properly, and it adds some noise). What do you think about it? It may seem like an overkill getting the ASP800 and the ISA One...
Yes, i'd think that's overkill, too.
If i were you i'd get the ASP first and see how it works with your mics. If you really find there's not enough gain you can still look into adding another preamp (or a cloudlifter for example). But i doubt that you'll run into problems in that regard...
I can't really speak about the Audient, as i don't use one, but i know several people using it, including a really high end studio that has one for occasions where many channels are needed (orchestral work). I think it's one of the best units you can get within your budget.
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

You could get the asp 800 and a fethead or cloudlifter for the SM7.
Old 12th October 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou latch View Post
Yes, i'd think that's overkill, too.
If i were you i'd get the ASP first and see how it works with your mics. If you really find there's not enough gain you can still look into adding another preamp (or a cloudlifter for example). But i doubt that you'll run into problems in that regard...
I can't really speak about the Audient, as i don't use one, but i know several people using it, including a really high end studio that has one for occasions where many channels are needed (orchestral work). I think it's one of the best units you can get within your budget.
Yeah, I think I should do what you say: first test the , as it should be a piece of gear that gives me what I want (some colouring to my mics and 8 extra channels for larger recordings) and if I´m not satisfied, go for the or the cloudlifter.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw2005 View Post
You could get the asp 800 and a fethead or cloudlifter for the .
Yes, that´s another choice. Thanks!

Last edited by Jotun Studio; 12th October 2015 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: spelling
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, I think I should do what you say: first test the ASP800, as it should be a piece of gear that gives me what I want (some colouring to my mics and 8 extra channels for larger recordings) and if I´m not satisfied, go for the ISA One or the cloudlifter.

Thanks!

Sounds like a good plan!

And personally I would think about getting a Fethead anyway. Less money than the Cloudlifter (money you can put towards another pre if you need it) and it does indeed make a marked improvement when using just about any dynamic too. I've used it with both a 441 and M201 as well.

There's been some discussion about the subtle sonic differences between the Cloudlifter and Fethead and while I haven't used the Cloudlifter, the Fethead has served me well!

R.
Gear Head

Quote:
Sounds like a good plan!

And personally I would think about getting a Fethead anyway. Less money than the Cloudlifter (money you can put towards another pre if you need it) and it does indeed make a marked improvement when using just about any dynamic too. I've used it with both a 441 and M201 as well.

There's been some discussion about the subtle sonic differences between the Cloudlifter and Fethead and while I haven't used the Cloudlifter, the Fethead has served me well!

R.
Thanks, man!

You don´t know how undecided I was (or am, still) about which piece of gear to adquire, though I know that it makes a difference, but the ears and hands of the engineer/mixer may be more important than the gear.

I really appreciate your advice about the Fethead, since it´s half the price of the Cloudlifter and seems to work fine for what I may want. Also, the Fethead ships from Europe (I don´t know about the CL) and its shipping costs are very little.

By the way, do you know if someone from here is selling a Fethead? In case I go for it...

Thanks again!
Lives for gear

Quote:
By the way, do you know if someone from here is selling a Fethead? In case I go for it...

Thanks again!
Yep. Go direct to No Hype Audio - Triton Fethead - I just ordered another one (this one will pass phantom) over the weekend!

Good luck!

R.
Old 12th October 2015
Gear Nut

Hey Jotun,

I owned the Focusrite 18i20 and an ISA2. As ADAT extension I had the Octopre first and then upgraded to the Audient ASP880. I loved this solution due to the send/return options for my outboard gear. You can use the 880 as converter unit as well, think this will be the same with the 800. In the meantime I sold both of the Focusrites. The 18i20 was ok, not more not less. The ISA was actually pretty nice, tons of gain, mostly clean but with some flavour if wanted. If you really want charakter, take something else.

In any case, I'd totally go for the Audient. No matter if 800 or 880.
Gear Head

Quote:
Yep. Go direct to No Hype Audio - Triton Fethead - I just ordered another one (this one will pass phantom) over the weekend!

Good luck!

R.
Thank you so much! I´ll try the ASP800 first, tough I think I will have to buy the FH sooner or later, so I may order it right now :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitcheeGoo View Post
Hey Jotun,

I owned the Focusrite 18i20 and an ISA2. As ADAT extension I had the Octopre first and then upgraded to the Audient ASP880. I loved this solution due to the send/return options for my outboard gear. You can use the 880 as converter unit as well, think this will be the same with the 800. In the meantime I sold both of the Focusrites. The 18i20 was ok, not more not less. The ISA was actually pretty nice, tons of gain, mostly clean but with some flavour if wanted. If you really want charakter, take something else.

In any case, I'd totally go for the Audient. No matter if 800 or 880.
I think I don´t need the insert options, but the impedance selector is a nice feature on the ASP880. Anyway, I think I will get more of the retro channels, so that´s why I´m interested in the ASP800.

One doubt I have is that you need an interface, don´t you? I´m asking that because you sold the 18i20, but I guess you would have something to connect the ASP880 to, wouldn´t you?

I´ll keep the 18i20 as an interface, and surely use it for some matters, but the crucial things will be recorded from the ASP800 connected via ADAT to the 18i20.

Thanks!
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thank you so much! I´ll try the ASP800 first, tough I think I will have to buy the FH sooner or later, so I may order it right now :D

I think I don´t need the insert options, but the impedance selector is a nice feature on the ASP880. Anyway, I think I will get more of the retro channels, so that´s why I´m interested in the ASP800.

One doubt I have is that you need an interface, don´t you? I´m asking that because you sold the 18i20, but I guess you would have something to connect the ASP880 to, wouldn´t you?

I´ll keep the 18i20 as an interface, and surely use it for some matters, but the crucial things will be recorded from the ASP800 connected via ADAT to the 18i20.

Thanks!
You're right, I purchased the Audient ID22 to replace the Focusrite. I run it together with the ASP880 and some decent outboard. In the meantime I ordered a Metric Halo LIO8 4P. I'll use the ID22 as mobile device or sell it again. Don't know yet.

If the 18i20 suits your needs in terms of quality, there's no reason to change it. The ASP800 is going to be a nice upgrade to your existing equip anyway.
Gear Head

Quote:
You're right, I purchased the Audient ID22 to replace the Focusrite. I run it together with the ASP880 and some decent outboard. In the meantime I ordered a Metric Halo LIO8 4P. I'll use the ID22 as mobile device or sell it again. Don't know yet.

If the 18i20 suits your needs in terms of quality, there's no reason to change it. The ASP800 is going to be a nice upgrade to your existing equip anyway.
I guessed there would be some more gear in the equation! :D

The thing is that I may need those extra inputs the Focusrite gives me, and I would use it to non critical instruments (drum parts that later would be replaced for example)

Though the ID22 or ID14 looks very nice! I see you are from Europe, so if you´re thinking of selling it, please, give me a heads up

Thanks!
Gear Nut

Quote:
I guessed there would be some more gear in the equation! :D

The thing is that I may need those extra inputs the Focusrite gives me, and I would use it to non critical instruments (drum parts that later would be replaced for example)

Though the ID22 or ID14 looks very nice! I see you are from Europe, so if you´re thinking of selling it, please, give me a heads up

Thanks!
I had the same thoughts and wanted enough preamps to record a full drum set. I bought the id22 as an "in between solution" to sell the 18i20 before the new Focusrite stuff comes out. Now I have 10 channels which is ok for the moment, but as I'm getting some more with the Metric Halo, everything will be fine.

If you replace the audio material anyway, the Focusrite will do just fine.

I'll shoot you a message if I sell the Audient though
Gear Head

Quote:
I had the same thoughts and wanted enough preamps to record a full drum set. I bought the id22 as an "in between solution" to sell the 18i20 before the new Focusrite stuff comes out. Now I have 10 channels which is ok for the moment, but as I'm getting some more with the Metric Halo, everything will be fine.

If you replace the audio material anyway, the Focusrite will do just fine.

I'll shoot you a message if I sell the Audient though
The thing is that I´ve already recorded drums and always felt I could use more mics:

I´ve used 2 mics for overheads, 1 for top snare, 1 for kick drum, 1 for hi hat and 3 for toms. I get in trouble if the drum kit has more than 3 toms, and also would like to use some mics on the snare bottom if possible, another mic/mics for specific cymbals (like ride) or even a mic for room/ambient.

Also, I´ve had the chance of tracking some bands in a live way (not performing in a live venue, but recording all at once), and 8 channels are not enough.

Besides, the extra quality of the 8 channels and the versatility of the 2 retro channels is what caught my attention with the ASP800.

Maybe the ID22 would get a little short for me, but it´s a very nice peace of gear, so just let me know in the future
Old 13th October 2015
Gear Nut

This was exactly my problem. I needed 12 channels for drums and solved this with the 18i20 + Octopre. You can do the same with the 18i20 + the ASP 800. Would be a nice solution without huge expenses.
📝 Reply