The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice regarding pres and ADAT expansion (Audient, Focusrite, ART, UA...)
Old 15th October 2015 | Show parent
  #31
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitcheeGoo View Post
This was exactly my problem. I needed 12 channels for drums and solved this with the 18i20 + Octopre. You can do the same with the 18i20 + the ASP 800. Would be a nice solution without huge expenses.
Thanks!

The ASP800 is a bit more expensive route, but I think will sound better. In fact, I just ordered one and hope to have it at the end of this week or beginning or next one.

Once I test it I´ll let you know...Cheers!
Old 15th October 2015
  #32
Gear Nut
 
GitcheeGoo's Avatar
 

Awesome, you won't regret it!

Have fun!
Old 16th October 2015 | Show parent
  #33
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitcheeGoo View Post
Awesome, you won't regret it!

Have fun!
Yesterday the had my ASP800 order cancelled, due to a stock issue.

I was both sad and angry at the same time.
Old 16th October 2015 | Show parent
  #34
Gear Nut
 
GitcheeGoo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotun Studio View Post
Yesterday the had my ASP800 order cancelled, due to a stock issue.

I was both sad and angry at the same time.
Oh no...

I also had to wait 2 weeks. How long will it take, did they mention anything? Or can't they deliver anyway?
Old 16th October 2015 | Show parent
  #35
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitcheeGoo View Post
Oh no...

I also had to wait 2 weeks. How long will it take, did they mention anything? Or can't they deliver anyway?
No idea, since the shop didn´t sell it directly, but ordered it to a distributor 1000 kms away, and they hadn´t a specific date when they would have it back again, so they cancelled it without even consulting me.

And the worst part is that I got a pretty sweet deal because when I ordered it the shop had a discount on the things they were selling, and now that offer is gone...
Old 16th October 2015
  #36
Deleted User
Guest
Audient vs Behringer ADA8200 vs Scarlett preamp comparison right here:
iD22 - 2i4 - ADA8200 Blind Test - Full song mix, feat. SM7b on vocals!

Audient (iD22 there) and Behringer came on top of Scarlett, and Behringer ultimately won (in that specific test). Food for thoughts.
Of course the ASP800 adds the Irondrive and HMX options on two channels which can be useful. But the ADA8200 is certainly no slouch despite the B name plate.
Old 16th October 2015 | Show parent
  #37
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnickSound View Post
Audient vs Behringer ADA8200 vs Scarlett preamp comparison right here:
iD22 - 2i4 - ADA8200 Blind Test - Full song mix, feat. SM7b on vocals!

Audient (iD22 there) and Behringer came on top of Scarlett, and Behringer ultimately won (in that specific test). Food for thoughts.
Of course the ASP800 adds the Irondrive and HMX options on two channels which can be useful. But the ADA8200 is certainly no slouch despite the B name plate.
Thanks for the thread and the wonderful job you did there, SnickSound.

I also liked the ADA8200 a lot, and it´s much cheaper than the ASP800. Sometimes I think that these diferences in gear (if the gear is not total crap) are not as noticeable as the hability of the musics/singers and the one mixing/mastering all that stuff, so I may still go for the Behringer if I cannot get the ASP800, which really was my top contender at the beginning.
Old 17th October 2015 | Show parent
  #38
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by GitcheeGoo View Post
I had the same thoughts and wanted enough preamps to record a full drum set. I bought the id22 as an "in between solution" to sell the 18i20 before the new Focusrite stuff comes out. Now I have 10 channels which is ok for the moment, but as I'm getting some more with the Metric Halo, everything will be fine.

If you replace the audio material anyway, the Focusrite will do just fine.

I'll shoot you a message if I sell the Audient though
I have the same set up with the id22 and the asp880. Do you have the metric halo yet? Just wondering how the pre amps sound in comparison. I'm in the same boat thinking of a larger channel count.
Old 17th October 2015 | Show parent
  #39
Gear Nut
 
GitcheeGoo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummercat View Post
I have the same set up with the id22 and the asp880. Do you have the metric halo yet? Just wondering how the pre amps sound in comparison. I'm in the same boat thinking of a larger channel count.
It's already paid and should be on the way hope to get it next week!
Old 6th November 2015
  #40
Gear Head
 

Well, I finally didn´t get the Audient ASP800, since it was out of stock where I ordered it and cancelled my order and just at the same time some pal made me an offer for a mint Octopre MKII, so I went for it and with the extra money I got an ART Pro MPAII with General Electric Tubes (and even saved some money).

This week I had a local artist from my city (Sevilla, Spain) in the studio, and we recorded an original song of him, using the ART with a SM7B and an AKG C1000S, and here´s the result.



I´m liking the ART so far and since I got a Fethead for the SM7B I think it sounds quiet with not a lot of noise.

How do you like it? Any feedback is welcomed.

Thanks!
Old 6th November 2015
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Midnight Oil Audio's Avatar
 

One thing to think about is that if you do want to add an outboard "character" pre to your existing setup later, you currently don't have the option of bypassing any of your current pre's, so whatever you mic up will be going through 2 amplification stages.
Old 6th November 2015 | Show parent
  #42
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyneBoxx View Post
One thing to think about is that if you do want to add an outboard "character" pre to your existing setup later, you currently don't have the option of bypassing any of your current pre's, so whatever you mic up will be going through 2 amplification stages.
I know, thanks.

In fact, that´s my case now, because when I use the ART Pro the mic is going through it and later through the Scarlett 18i20, but to me it sounds nice. I try not to bring up the gain of the Scarlett pre´s too much, as they are quite transparent, and that´s it.

In fact, the video I put before was recorded like that and I like it.

Cheers!
Old 6th November 2015
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Midnight Oil Audio's Avatar
 

Ok. When I was running a similar setup, I was instructed to position the input gain knob on the interface at unity gain. This was there's the least "coloration" from the onboard pre.
Old 7th November 2015 | Show parent
  #44
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyneBoxx View Post
Ok. When I was running a similar setup, I was instructed to position the input gain knob on the interface at unity gain. This was there's the least "coloration" from the onboard pre.
Thanks for the recommendation.

I´ve read here that on these Scarletts the 12 o´clock position is quite close to the unity gain and is the position where the onboard pres will add virtually no color to the outboard pre.
Old 7th November 2015
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Midnight Oil Audio's Avatar
 

The real way to tell is to send a pure tone (sine wave) out of your Scarlett outputs and back into one of its inputs, then you adjust the input gain knob is until the signal coming back in is exactly the same level as the one going out. That may be right around 12 o'clock for the Scarlett, I'm not sure.
Old 9th December 2015
  #46
Gear Maniac
 

is it possible to use the asp800 as an outboard i/o device? I wanna hook it up to my apollo 8p for extra pres but I also need extra i/o for outboards.
Old 9th December 2015 | Show parent
  #47
Lives for gear
 
Ol' Betsey's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockxrock View Post
is it possible to use the asp800 as an outboard i/o device? I wanna hook it up to my apollo 8p for extra pres but I also need extra i/o for outboards.
It will give you an extra 8 INPUTS (via ADAT) into your Apollo but it doesn't have any analog outputs so you wouldn't be able to use it to route stuff out of your DAW.

R.
Old 9th December 2015 | Show parent
  #48
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
It will give you an extra 8 INPUTS (via ADAT) into your Apollo but it doesn't have any analog outputs so you wouldn't be able to use it to route stuff out of your DAW.

R.
you sure? it has d-sub 1-8 line out..?
Old 9th December 2015 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 
Ol' Betsey's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockxrock View Post
you sure? it has d-sub 1-8 line out..?
Oh man, I'm sorry. I just had a quick look at the back panel and saw the ADAT and moved on.

The good thing is that you seemed to have found the answer yourself! So still a WIN!

R.
Old 9th December 2015
  #50
Gear Maniac
 

if I want this to be both 8 pres IN and be able to use it as 8 i/o for outbords I have to have somekind of patch? I cant have 8 mic IN and 8 line IN connected at the same time..

correct?
Old 9th December 2015
  #51
Lives for gear
 
dickiefunk's Avatar
I've used the Focusrite Saffire, ISA and Audient pres and all of them are capable of excellent recordings. My favorite of the bunch are the Audient pres. They are extremely detailed and low noise pres. The ISA and Saffire pres are also excellent and low noise pres but I felt the Mico offered a fraction more detail and lower noise. Also, the Mico has more tonal variety due to it's HMX feature which adds a subtle thickening. The ASP 800 takes this one step further by adding an IRON transformer feature which offers even more tonal variation!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 131 views: 71889
Avatar for filo
filo 25th September 2013
replies: 254 views: 102385
Avatar for PaowZ
PaowZ 3rd February 2017
replies: 333 views: 78838
Avatar for JGM
JGM 18th April 2017
replies: 1 views: 992
Avatar for John21
John21 24th October 2018
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump