The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
[2nd Mic] Should I get Neumann u87 for vocals - I have AT4050 Condenser Microphones
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T E C H N I C A View Post
Hmm

So I'll have an AT4050, Apollo twin duo and Neumann KH 120.

Do you think my money is best spent on this Neumann Microphone or should I invest in an external preamp? My room will be properly sound treated.
I'd invest in a good preamp. Something with some color, fat. Avedis MA5 is an excellent choice for this application. Fat with clarity. The 4050 will sound very nice through that.
Old 3rd November 2015
Lives for gear

The AT5040 (not 4050) puts Audio-Technica at a totally higher level. Their AT 4080 ribbon mic is pretty fine as well.
Old 31st August 2018
Here for the gear

Wich microphone to BAE 1073 MPF??

Hi.

I just got my BAE 1073 mpf. I need a microphone for vocals (Hip hop/rnb). Need that crisp sound, nice high ends. Thought about the U87, but what do you guys think? I have slightly darker voice then the average man I Guess, not very dark tho hahah!
Old 31st August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondrecarlsen View Post
Hi.

I just got my BAE 1073 mpf. I need a microphone for vocals (Hip hop/rnb). Need that crisp sound, nice high ends. Thought about the U87, but what do you guys think? I have slightly darker voice then the average man I Guess, not very dark tho hahah!
Sony C-100
Old 31st August 2018
Lives for gear

Rent the mic and test it in your place or rent studio time and test the U87 and some other mics.. It's very difficult to say which mic you will like and impossible to say which one FITS YOUR vocals or your style/taste.

I'd like to add that I had great results on rap vocals with a Milab DC-96-B through an Avedis MA5.. it's a tiny mic, but sounds really good even when you're really close to it. Very natural while being punchy and detailed. Also you might find them second hand for a great price.. They're also very good as close mics on percussions and ac gtrs (among other stuff)..

I also own a pair of vintage 87's, they are indeed workhorses, although while fitting a lot of vocals and instruments (mine have being maintained by Andreas Grosser), on some specific vocals (like your own vocals) some other mic might be a better fit.
Trial and error.. Test the mics you could afford with YOUR source/vocals.. It's the only way.

The list of priority should be this one:

1. Talent
2. Room
3. Mic (choice of the best mic for THAT source)
4. Preamp
5. HW processing (tracking eq and compression)
6. Converters/interface (nowadays most converters are pretty good)

I hope this helps somehow,

Cheu
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear
I have one. I love it. BUT you may not. Try and rent one before you buy it because it way to much money to spend if you are not 100% sure.
You have to hear it to understand what it really sounds like.
Old 1st September 2018
U87 is decent, I like it. Nothing to write home about though. If you're looking for a vintage one which I personally prefer there are a few more options in that price range.

Tube mics always makes a recording come alive so I would look into the clones available, flea etc.
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear
Unless you have Klaus Heyne modify it...then it is special indeed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
U87 is decent, I like it. Nothing to write home about though.
Old 1st September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
Unless you have Klaus Heyne modify it...then it is special indeed...
Why would anyone spend 1k or more (!?) to modd a u87. It is what it is. Quality yes, but if don't like it there are plenty of options other then modding it.

Although, the tube mod kits are really nice, but that's more of making it into a u67 then actually changing the frequency response of the capsule, or whatever Heyne is doing, no disrespect though! Happy with how my vintage u87 sounds like. If want something different, or better I reach for my u67, 269c whatever
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear

The old U87s with the battery compartment were the ones I liked best and unfortunately given their age and availability these are not practical investments in today's secondary market.
For the same or less cash an AT4060 with Mullard NOS tube and an AT4047/SV for LDC flavor would be better tools providing better options IMO.
Hugh
Old 1st September 2018
Gear Nut

For $2500 I’d rather have a nice pre and a nice mic than a U87 and the appollo pres. There are plenty of mics and pres in the $1200 range that will make you go WOW when compared to prosumer stuff.
Old 1st September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by T E C H N I C A View Post
Hmm

So I'll have an AT4050, Apollo twin duo and Neumann KH 120.

Do you think my money is best spent on this Neumann Microphone or should I invest in an external preamp? My room will be properly sound treated.

I don't think you can bypass the preamp in the duo, so you will essentially be running a preamp into a preamp, not ideal.

A great mic is the best purchase you can make. Most modern preamps will do but a good mic tends to be expensive. In my experience mid priced condensers are usually pretty bad.

If you don't want to spend 3k on a mic a good pre and an sm7b is still a hard combo to beat.

I'd still go for something tubey second hand around 3k. A u87 will do the job for sure but it's not awesome. Maybe a bit cooler because of brand recognition. The tube mod improves it quite a bit. But please buy an vintage one.
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSwaltz View Post
For $2500 I’d rather have a nice pre and a nice mic than a U87 and the appollo pres. There are plenty of mics and pres in the $1200 range that will make you go WOW when compared to prosumer stuff.
I disagree with this. What constitutes as "prosumer" gear? Certainly not an AT4050. I've owned several mics that are near and above the $2000 price point, and I wouldn't say any of them are better than the 4050. Different, yes. But not better.
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear

is it only vocals that you need? and only your voice? then you need to find a mic that works on your vocals...
i have an at4050 and it took a while to warm up to... but i love my dynamics... my room isn't treated
i found that a mic pre brings a lot more out of the mics you own, but a mic that works with your voice is the best
I'm currently looking at a geffell m930 which i used to have and love, but also intrigued by the warm audio wa47
i don't do rap at all, but i've got this beyerdynamic soundstar mkll which sounds like it would be awesome on rap vocals, and it was like $70 used
Old 1st September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins View Post
I disagree with this. What constitutes as "prosumer" gear? Certainly not an AT4050. I've owned several mics that are near and above the $2000 price point, and I wouldn't say any of them are better than the 4050. Different, yes. But not better.
I would say the apollo pres are prosumer gear. Granted I haven’t heard the twin mkii, but even with all the emulations, my apollo mki never had the tone of nicer preamps, and the DI was garbage. I didn’t mean to trash the 4050. I’ve never used one personally but I love the 4047. I’m sure it’s quality kit.
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSwaltz View Post
I would say the apollo pres are prosumer gear. Granted I haven’t heard the twin mkii, but even with all the emulations, my apollo mki never had the tone of nicer preamps, and the DI was garbage. I didn’t mean to trash the 4050. I’ve never used one personally but I love the 4047. I’m sure it’s quality kit.
Sorry I misunderstood you. I would agree that a nice standalone pre will be a noticeable upgrade from the average stock interface pre.
Old 4th September 2018
Gear Maniac
Is your room treated? What pres do you have? What converters are you using? What speakers are you using for monitors? If all of those areas are covered with awesome stuff I'd say go for the u87. 4 grand can go far in a studio.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search