The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Used my Orange Rockerverb on gig tonight.
Old 13th January 2007

Used my Orange Rockerverb on gig tonight.

I bought an Orange Rockerverb 100 guitar head a couple of weeks back and really got to play it tonight for the first time. I play in an 80's/70's cover band and have been using Marshalls for years on these gigs. I played the Orange and that thing is sick! When I first plugged it in it sounded great but didn't quite have the low end nuts of my Marshall but the tone was so much better. As we started to play the amp just kept sounding better, everyone at the gig said it blew my Marshall away. The band is kind of a jam band we do lots of Zeppelin/Halen/ZZ Top/Hendrix and I shred endlessly all night, kinda SRV style. The Orange was insane on solo's, sustain forever and WAY more harmonics, all the VH tricks came out so loud it was crazy. I wanted to play forever. The amp isn't as loud as my Marshall so I had it cranked and it was hairy as hell. If I stomped on my Fulltone OCD then it was really over. Tonight I was a god!!! I played so hard I feel like I'm floating. Orange amps rule!

Rockerverb 100>Recto 2X12 cab w/Vintage 30's>Les Paul Standerd=Heaven...
Old 13th January 2007
Gear Guru

Congratulations on the most excellent performance.

Always great when everything goes right.
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Damn...you just made me want that tiny terror they make even more!
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Lugo,

Are you a 4x12" guy at all? Those Rockerverb 100's are LOUD through 4 Vintage 30's!
Old 14th January 2007

Oh yeah, I actually have the 4X12 cab that goes with it but I use 2X12's at gigs because I can't get a 4X12 in the trunk.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Right on man!

And you got me thinking. I've got the Rockerverb 50watt combo, but I haven't tried a cabinet out with it yet. As I've also got a Recto 2x12, I'll have to crank that up with the Orange tomorrow and see what comes out of it!
Old 14th January 2007

The recto cabs are killer, I have 3. I shotout every combo of my guitar rigs the other day:

Bogner Ecstacy 101B 100 Watt Head
Marshall JCM2000 100 Watt Head
Soldano Avenger 100 Watt Head
Orange Rockerverb 100 Guitar Head
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special Amp Head
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 'Tremoverb' Head
Orange 4X12 Straight Guitar Cab Vintage 30's
Mesa Boogie 2X12 Cab Vintage 30's
2 - Mesa Boogie 4X12 Cab Vintage 30's
Marshall Straight Cab - 75's
Carvin Legacy 2X12 Cab / Vintage 30's

The Orange cab is 16 ohms and the recto cabs are 8 ohms. The amps sounded more saturated and overdriven at 16 ohms and punchier and cleaner at 8 ohms. 16 ohms sounded a bit warmer and 8 sounded harder. Very nice combo. Now it could have been the different sound of the cabs but they were all loaded with V30's and the sound coming off the speakers was definately more overdriven at 16 ohms and had more attack at 8 ohms. It's a question I've had for a long time and never really knew for myself. The Orange is so beautiful. I've really been a Marshall guy all my life but I'm diggin' these boutique amps; Orange, Bogner. I have an Exctacy 101B that has my Marshall sounding a bit enemic and I just grabbed an Uberschall off eBay. Kooky buying spree.
Old 15th January 2007
God Lugo, get your dick out why don't you? that's just soooooooooo excessive lol

i'll put my weiner low wattge combos back in the cupboard

I am intimidated by The Schlonng
Old 15th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
The Orange was insane on solo's, sustain forever and WAY more harmonics, all the VH tricks came out so loud it was crazy!

that's what the fu*k i'm talkin about dude!

just the correct amount of overtone and level through the pickups and your tapping solo sounds like a Bach sonata or some sh*t
Old 15th January 2007

It was crazy. You know the part in 'Someone Get Me A Doctor' where Eddie does this pull off on the G string/ 4th fret-2nd fret/open and he slides his middle finger on the right hand up and down the strings slow for harmonics. It was so loud and flawless, I've been doing that for years and it never sounded like it did with the Orange. Crazy!
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

First the Duncan Custom 5, then the OCD and the Orange. I'd say I'm 3 for 3, no?
Old 15th January 2007

You are correct.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

The Orange 2x12 cabs in black are about the sweetest looking cabs I've ever seen.

Old 26th May 2009
Lives for gear

I've been offered to trade my Mesa Dual Rectifier Tremoverb for an Orange Rockerverb 50 plus some studio time (I like the band so it's gonna be fun anyway).

My other guitar amp is a marshall MKII Bass from 1977 and I pretty much always prefer the marshall over the mesa but the marshall can't do metal and heavy stuff without pedals, that's the reason why I got the mesa.

I heard some good stuff about the Rockerverb 50 but I wonder if that's a good deal or not.
What I like about the mesa is the shinny clean and the high gain, I'm wondering if I'd miss that with the orange or if the orange would kick the mesa's ass.

James, you've got both, what do you think?
Old 26th May 2009
Gear Head

The Rockerverb is great. When i was in the market for a head and cab i played a gig on a rockerverb and it was great. I wanted to get one but i snagged a Bogner Shiva for a good price and that's amazing too!

Keep on playing!
Old 26th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzilla View Post
The Rockerverb is great. When i was in the market for a head and cab i played a gig on a rockerverb and it was great. I wanted to get one but i snagged a Bogner Shiva for a good price and that's amazing too!

Keep on playing!
From what you remember, could it get heavy (high gain)?

The thing is evn though I don't LOVE my mesa, I still need it for high gain punk and metal stuff so if I trade it I'd still wanna be able to get some heavy tone.
Old 26th May 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
From what you remember, could it get heavy (high gain)?

The thing is evn though I don't LOVE my mesa, I still need it for high gain punk and metal stuff so if I trade it I'd still wanna be able to get some heavy tone.
it's gets pretty heavy, metal i don't know? it could
definitely do punk tho.. i would get 1 or 2 pedals that can really take an amp over the edge and use that when you really really need it to get heavy.

Old 26th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzilla View Post

it's gets pretty heavy, metal i don't know? it could
definitely do punk tho.. i would get 1 or 2 pedals that can really take an amp over the edge and use that when you really really need it to get heavy.

While you were replying I just found some video of guys playing metal with one of those and it was pretty heavy.

Maybe it would be more versatile too, I'll try it tomorow night so we'll see.
thanks
Old 26th May 2009
TML
Lives for gear

I sold my 1976 50 watt super lead and my 50 Jubilee after I got a 50 watt Rockerverb. Great amp... complex tone....... nice bottom.
Tim
Old 26th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML View Post
I sold my 1976 50 watt super lead and my 50 Jubilee after I got a 50 watt Rockerverb. Great amp... complex tone....... nice bottom.
Tim
no ****, I'm eager to try it

How the clean channel?
I can get a fenderish clean tone with my mesa, will the orange deliver that too?
Old 26th May 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah, James,

I've been playing Orange Amps since '76. I agree with you that NOTHING sounds like an Orange. I started on the Double stack with 120 watt heads. Even Jimmy Page had one at the time. So glad that the new amps are still kicking Arse.

ROCK ON!!!
Old 26th May 2009

Quote:
The recto cabs are killer, I have 3. I shotout every combo of my guitar rigs the other day:

Bogner Ecstacy 101B 100 Watt Head
Marshall JCM2000 100 Watt Head
Soldano Avenger 100 Watt Head
Orange Rockerverb 100 Guitar Head
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special Amp Head
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 'Tremoverb' Head
Orange 4X12 Straight Guitar Cab Vintage 30's
Mesa Boogie 2X12 Cab Vintage 30's
2 - Mesa Boogie 4X12 Cab Vintage 30's
Marshall Straight Cab - 75's
Carvin Legacy 2X12 Cab / Vintage 30's

The Orange cab is 16 ohms and the recto cabs are 8 ohms. The amps sounded more saturated and overdriven at 16 ohms and punchier and cleaner at 8 ohms. 16 ohms sounded a bit warmer and 8 sounded harder. Very nice combo. Now it could have been the different sound of the cabs but they were all loaded with V30's and the sound coming off the speakers was definately more overdriven at 16 ohms and had more attack at 8 ohms. It's a question I've had for a long time and never really knew for myself. The Orange is so beautiful. I've really been a Marshall guy all my life but I'm diggin' these boutique amps; Orange, Bogner. I have an Exctacy 101B that has my Marshall sounding a bit enemic and I just grabbed an Uberschall off eBay. Kooky buying spree.

You want to know what's weird? I do not have one piece of that gear anymore. That was only 2 years ago. Dumped the DSL's for 2 vintage Marshall's, dumped the Bogner for a Herbert and the Tremoverb for a 2 channel Racto. We have a Rocker 30 that's my friends. Now I have a Scumback and Uberkab. Very weird to see that pic but thruthfully I'm getting way better guitar sounds with my current set up.

Old 26th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
You want to know what's weird? I do not have one piece of that gear anymore. That was only 2 years ago. Dumped the DSL's for 2 vintage Marshall's, dumped the Bogner for a Herbert and the Tremoverb for a 2 channel Racto. We have a Rocker 30 that's my friends. Now I have a Scumback and Uberkab. Very weird to see that pic but thruthfully I'm getting way better guitar sounds with my current set up.
Yeah I've been following some of your posts and you seem to go through a lot of stuff, it seems pretty fun

I've been doing the same but on a shorter scale with my amps.
I used to have an ampeg svt-vr and a vintage svt, I traded the svt-vr with a band for a Mesa Dual rectifier 3ch, some months later I traded the 3ch for a tremoverb, my tone got a little bit better but not sure if that's my thing, I prefer my marshall even though it doesn't do high gain stuff too much.

And now I could trade the tremoverb for a rockerverb.
So having owned both at some point, which one did you like better and why, would you trade if you were me?

Right now I use my marshall for rock and my mesa for punk/metal stuff so the orange would have to be able to do the punk/metal thing.

Crazy collection btw, looks nice.
Old 26th May 2009
Back in the day Ted Falcone of Flipper used to use a camo colored Orange head and 4x12..... pretty much defined their early noise-punk sound, along with the dominant bass and general careening chaos.......
Old 26th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Back in the day Ted Falcone of Flipper used to use a camo colored Orange head and 4x12..... pretty much defined their early noise-punk sound, along with the dominant bass and general careening chaos.......
good to know thanks
Old 26th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now I have a Scumback...
Yeah, I have those in 'Papa Bear' and 'Mama Bear'.... very glad I was turned onto them.
Old 27th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

hmm...i have been following your posts man....i see only ONE thing lacking in your gear as a whole....not enough guitar amps.....you need to work on that.hehe

rock on!
Old 27th May 2009
Lives for gear

Allright so I tried the orange tonight...
I didn't push it that much but it still was loud enought, in all honesty I haven't been impressed by it.

It didn't do anything that special that my mesa or marshall couldn't do.
The orange sounded really thin and "congestes" compared to my actual amps, it lacked the 3 dimension sound of my other amps but I'm pretty sure it would work pretty good in a punk mix.

So we didn't trade, the guy didn't like the mesa that much either so we both kept our actual amp.

He said I should look for a mark 3 or 4 if I want something a bit different from the tremoverb, I'll have a look at them, I think NOFX uses a mark 3 and I like the band's sound.
Old 27th May 2009
Quote:
good to know thanks
Yeah, I still mix them when they play in town (I'm old and don't want to tour.) Ted's using a Randall now, the Orange is long gone - unfortunately - it was a great amp.
Old 27th May 2009
Quote:
Allright so I tried the orange tonight...
I didn't push it that much but it still was loud enought, in all honesty I haven't been impressed by it.

It didn't do anything that special that my mesa or marshall couldn't do.
The orange sounded really thin and "congestes" compared to my actual amps, it lacked the 3 dimension sound of my other amps but I'm pretty sure it would work pretty good in a punk mix.

So we didn't trade, the guy didn't like the mesa that much either so we both kept our actual amp.

He said I should look for a mark 3 or 4 if I want something a bit different from the tremoverb, I'll have a look at them, I think NOFX uses a mark 3 and I like the band's sound.
Oranges like to be cranked.

Man, I remember when they first came out - everybody though they were wierd - not only were they bright orange, the old ones didn't have any labels on the controls - just those cryptic icons.......

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search