The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beta 91 for Kick, good or so-so ?
Old 7th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Beta 91 for Kick, good or so-so ?

I've never tried one, but I know a bunch of people who say it's cool and easy to use.

Anyone care to let me know what they think about using a Beta 91 on Kick ?
Old 7th October 2002
One with big hooves

I've used it a few times. It's ok I guess. There isn't a lot of low end there and it seems like it would be best with another mic on the outside. Try it if you get a chance, you might like it. I'd rather spend my money on other kick mics.
Old 7th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Thanks Jay, that's kind of what I thought it might sound like based on my experience with other PZMs. I'll stick to my D-112 for now I guess.

Quote:
I'd rather spend my money on other kick mics.
What would your preference for a kick mic be ?
Old 7th October 2002
One with big hooves

From what I own I usually start with a 421 or Beta 52 inside the drum to just inside the hole in the front head. If nither of those is working I might try a D112 (usually doesn't work for me) or even an SM57. I also use a 414B/ULS (figure 8) or AT4047 outside the front head which is where I get most of the low end from.

I'm really not a D112 fan. It works some of the time, usually if the drum sounds thin and needs the extra low end or it needs that poinky attack. It usually makes a drum sound like a basketball to me. If there's no muffling in the bass drum it gets even worse. My D112 usually gets used on the floor tom or bass amp. I know some people really like them. I find that it's the best choice on maybe 1 out of 25 bass drums. YMMV.

Other good first choice mics are the SM7, RE-20, ATM25, E602, Beyer M88 for inside, outside are 47Fet, U195, U87, U67, D112, and an RE-20.
Old 8th October 2002
Lives for gear

The Beta 91 is a very good kick mic for certain applications. For me, I find the 91 best when recording a drummer who does a bunch of double kick stuff from one kick drum. I always supplement the mic with a second mic outside the hole (52, or whatever you like).
Old 8th October 2002
Lives for gear

The 91 always seems to sound really good at live shows, but in the studio I find myself sending extra time trying to get what I need out of it. I'd choose a 47fet, D12, D112, or RE20 first.
Old 8th October 2002
Lives for gear

I agree Jay about the D112. It really does make a great basketball sound (UGH!) (especially when there is no baffling, as you said). Not my favorite mic in the world. A 421 inside and a Soundelux U195 outside works well for me . . an RE20 for jazz.
Old 8th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Awesome info guys, thanks for the replies.

The best part is I have all the mics recomended in my locker and can check out the various combos. It helps big-time to know I was headed down the right track, now it's just a matter of experimentation. Of course that's alwasy the case isn't it!
Old 8th October 2002
I use a lot of

AT25 pro, 421, D112 inside
Royer 121 outside (with pop shield)
Old 8th October 2002
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Tubelover
The best part is I have all the mics recomended in my locker and can check out the various combos. It helps big-time to know I was headed down the right track, now it's just a matter of experimentation. Of course that's alwasy the case isn't it!
Part of the cool thing is that there is no one-size fits all mic. I start with my first choice and if it sounds bad I move it or change it depending on what I'm looking for.
Old 8th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Part of the cool thing is that there is no one-size fits all mic.
Nor is there a consistent sound from a kick, the room it's in or the guy who's playing it.

After chasing a good sound for the last few sessions and never fealing like I got there it's good to have the feedback from you guys.

Next I'm going for an 8 to 10 inch speaker wired as a mic, just gotta try that one.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear