The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Software Pirates to buy their own island nation so copyright laws won't apply to them
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Software Pirates to buy their own island nation so copyright laws won't apply to them

http://www.thelocal.se/6076/20070112/

Come on GW, bomb them!
Old 13th January 2007
Gear Nut

dfegad

Those guys make around $75000 a month from advertising alone on their site, yet they don't like the fact that the people who worked hard MAKING the music/film need a paycheck? Mental.

Some of the trustees of the project are openly talking about which guns to use, to protect themselves from the British government. What a bunch of nutters.

And in the end, who does it hurt? The little guy trying to make a living in a chaotic industry.

Ah well. I reckon the British government could declare war on them and have them in a war prison by dinner time.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Wow, they'll pack heat in order to watch free movies and listen to free music?

Somebody's priorites and perspective both got a little warped somewhere along the way
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

I'd love to see those clowns @ the UN
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Those guys make around $75000 a month from advertising alone on their site
Man I'm in the wrong business. Do I get to dress like Jack Sparrow if I join up?
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

I think music should be free.
We all know artists dont make any money out of their records anyway.

Now, concerts *cant* be free.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-OIART View Post

I'd love to see those clowns @ the UN
Hmm. Seeing China there is almost as bad.

Then again, the US is a joke too at times.

I'm wondering if whoever tries to provide them an internet connection will have problems in their countries... or those that advertise with them.
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
or those that advertise with them.
i just saw a story about this which said that wal-mart and verizon are among their best buddy advertisers...
Old 15th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkyer View Post

maybe artists, but what about, producers, songwriters, engineers and of course record labels that spend a lot of money on those albums?
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Fobia View Post
dfegad

Those guys make around $75000 a month from advertising alone on their site, yet they don't like the fact that the people who worked hard MAKING the music/film need a paycheck? Mental.

Some of the trustees of the project are openly talking about which guns to use, to protect themselves from the British government. What a bunch of nutters.

And in the end, who does it hurt? The little guy trying to make a living in a chaotic industry.

Ah well. I reckon the British government could declare war on them and have them in a war prison by dinner time.

i don't think this really hurts the little guy. that's a story the big guys tell to further their own interests (like the mpaa or riaa). the recording industry doesn't give a --- about the little guy. if it did, recording contracts would look like any other contracts instead of the legalized rape they actually are.
Old 15th January 2007
Quote:

I totally disagree, maybe artists don't "get money" out of their records, but what about, producers, songwriters, engineers and of course record labels that spend a lot of money on those albums?

peace.

A.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie View Post
i don't think this really hurts the little guy. that's a story the big guys tell to further their own interests (like the mpaa or riaa). the recording industry doesn't give a --- about the little guy. if it did, recording contracts would look like any other contracts instead of the legalized rape they actually are.
tutt - Hard as it is for many to admit, Big companies are in many cases comprised hardworking people too. I think you would change your tune pretty fast if it was you who spent his life working to create a solid, major record label, preserved your integrity along the way, and you then are put in economic danger because your business is being undermined by thieves.

I'm not ever going to stand up for big corporations that milk city's, country's and eco-systems, bone dry, but there are still hardworking people out there, who may be part of "some big evil company" that are still getting screwed royally because twit want's something for nothing.

Make any argument you want about the reasons you can justify software piracy, you still can't shake the fact you are stealing from someone by taking something for nothing.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

I know a lot of local musicians who have made good money selling their albums over the years. When I worked at a studio with a private pressing/duplicating service, we were constantly making 1000+ CD runs for the same albums over and over again. Not a part of your big picture I guess, tho...
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmm. Seeing China there is almost as bad.
Are you dissing one-fifth of the world's population now?

ruudman
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Guru

i reckon in 50-100 years social concepts like 'money' will be as quaint as the notion of listening to music thru the air via the ears.

i can't imagine that when i'm on my deathbed, i'll whisper to my loved ones "i'm glad i spent time thinking ill of other people because they downloaded music without paying."

i am not sane, though, so best to take my words with a grain of salt.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Nut

Songwriters need to write songs to get paid.
Musicians need to perform to get paid.
Audio engineers need to make recorings to get paid.
Producers decide how to make records to get paid.
Duplication Companies get paid to duplicate Masters.
Product ditributors need to distribute Product to get paid.
Marketers need to market to get paid.
Stores need to sell to get paid.

All of these need one thing to get paid......Demand for their product.

And all need to adjust to chaning business climate.

The "party" is over it is geting tough out there so do what you got to do.

Maybe $15-$20 for a piece of pastic with numbers on it is just too much for people to afford?

Maybe a more resonable price would make it not worth the moral and legal consequences for most people and sales would come back?

Now software could be another story but even that could be more affordable, which would bring more sales.

I think record company Greed is the real problem.
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRant View Post
Man I'm in the wrong business. Do I get to dress like Jack Sparrow if I join up?
That's CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow, mate!
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
I totally disagree, maybe artists don't "get money" out of their records, but what about, producers, songwriters, engineers and of course record labels that spend a lot of money on those albums?

peace.

A.
They'd get paid with the money the band had got when toured with...no?
Let's say a band makes a hundred shows a year at 1000$. In our world, this band probably won't spend more than 20 000$ on recording. (nor sell more than 20 000 records)
I really see records as some audio flyer to represent your concerts.
No need for greedy record stores. No need for duplication, who doesnt own an mp3 player ? (I dont actually..because I buy my records on purpose to help some bands I like, which is quite contracdictory )
Maybe the need of a label, maybe some coop or your own.
The rest of the people would be paid like I mentioned, through tour and merch money.
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
Savy?
Old 15th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop View Post
Your kidding, ???

GWB won't bomb them, he'll give them Most Favored Trade Status and the offer tax credits to US corporations to relocate there and offshore more US jobs.

Remember, it's "The New World Order".

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

touring does not suit every band or musician yet these people still deserve to have the opportunity and the right to eanr money from their creation.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRant View Post
http://www.pcrecruiter.net/pcrbin/re...outube.youtube

I can give you $1.5 billion reasons to click the above link (to YouTube Jobs Available).

While you're there, do a search for music & video from your favorite artist. Someone's bound to have uploaded it.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Sartiano View Post
http://www.pcrecruiter.net/pcrbin/re...outube.youtube

I can give you $1.5 billion reasons to click the above link (to YouTube Jobs Available).

While you're there, do a search for music & video from your favorite artist. Someone's bound to have uploaded it.
Are you implying youtube are pirates?

Not at all, they're paying off the labels and media companies and if you want anything removed they comply immediately.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
They'd get paid with the money the band had got when toured with...no?
Let's say a band makes a hundred shows a year at 1000$. In our world, this band probably won't spend more than 20 000$ on recording. (nor sell more than 20 000 records)
I really see records as some audio flyer to represent your concerts.
No need for greedy record stores. No need for duplication, who doesnt own an mp3 player ? (I dont actually..because I buy my records on purpose to help some bands I like, which is quite contracdictory )
Maybe the need of a label, maybe some coop or your own.
The rest of the people would be paid like I mentioned, through tour and merch money.

Artists can do that now if they think it works. There's nothing stopping them from trying that.

I think that band Harvey Danger released their last album for free on their website...i saw the link on here like 2 years ago...have I heard of them since? no.
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-OIART View Post
tutt - Hard as it is for many to admit, Big companies are in many cases comprised hardworking people too. I think you would change your tune pretty fast if it was you who spent his life working to create a solid, major record label, preserved your integrity along the way, and you then are put in economic danger because your business is being undermined by thieves.

I'm not ever going to stand up for big corporations that milk city's, country's and eco-systems, bone dry, but there are still hardworking people out there, who may be part of "some big evil company" that are still getting screwed royally because twit want's something for nothing.

Make any argument you want about the reasons you can justify software piracy, you still can't shake the fact you are stealing from someone by taking something for nothing.
the truth is recording contracts and the business model that supports them (and calculates their worth in real numbers) would be considered unconscionable (legally void) in any other business. one-way option contracts that theoretically last for 15 years, but do not oblige any action or promotion on the part of the company. all expenses advanced and recouped from an anemic royalty rate that is already cut into a thousand ways by dishonest accounting practices and standard deductions. and though the cost of making and promoting the recording is paid out of the artist's share, the record company gets ownership the master.

this is from an industry run by gangsters in the old days, but now run by basically 4 mega-corporations (majors) who control 80 percent of the market, and who all offer contracts on the same terms. that is called an oligopoly. i wouldn't mind in the least if they dissolved. and some day i might start a suit against them and their unfair standard contracts that they offer to young artists with little leverage.

it's really convenient for these companies to claim moral arguments about paying artists and others, but they really don't give a --- about artists, just the bottom line. they might as well be selling toothpaste. then they would be talking about toothpaste rights
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, your right. Captain Jack Sparrow. I'm putting chicken bones in my hair and making pirated copies of the new Justin Timberlake CD as we speak. And tell me, whose hurt by this other than the poor chickens that sacrificed themselves for my new hairstyle.

Seriously though, this is a strange story. Add some grape Koolaid and we got us a winner.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop View Post
Are you implying youtube are pirates?

Not at all, they're paying off the labels and media companies and if you want anything removed they comply immediately.
http://news.com.com/YouTube+dances+t...3-6097365.html

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061013-7982.html

http://www.jawed.com/mp3voyeur/

...and the "SUCCESS STORIES" keep going.

Jawed Karim is one of the co-founders of YouTube.

THIS IS CUT AND PASTED FROM THE FRONT PAGE OF THAT PAGE (MP3Voyeur was what ONE OF THE CO-FOUNDERS OF YOUTUBE WAS DOING BEFORE YOUTUBE):

"MP3 Voyeur is a local area network search tool that crawls local networks for shared media files. It starts at the top of your Network Neighborhood and scans every single computer for shared files. On University networks you are likely to find tens of thousands of media files, and most corporate networks reveal the same, as well as lots of interesting confidential documents.

MP3 Voyeur is Freeware. Please be patient: a complete search of your network can take up to 24 hours.

Success Stories:

@bc.edu: I just wanted to let you know that your AWESOME program come up with over 220,000 mp3's on our network at Boston College.

@plu.edu: last search result: 105,698 *.mp3 files found

@uconn.edu: Jawed, we're getting about 80,000 mp3's on the Uconn network. Thanks for the program!!! "

------

So, no, I don't have to IMPLY anything. There are already pundits who say outright that YouTube is, at the very least, dancing the "copyright tango," or worse. And, given a history like "MP3Voyeur," it's clear where their intentions and ethics lie. Hey, I can't "hate" -- I wish I could dance on the edge of wild-west copyright law and have that kind of payday, too.
Old 16th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie View Post
nice.
and sad, but true.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman View Post
Are you dissing one-fifth of the world's population now?

ruudman

No, I'm saying that China, just like the US often totally goes against what the UN's assemblies votes go as. This "country" showing up to the UN would be a similar joke. They just do as they please. China ignores basic human rights, as does the US (the UN's said to close Guantanmo, but the US ignores it.).

The US and China do as they please in, and ignore the UN basically. Other countries normally listen a bit.
Old 16th January 2007
Quote:
Other countries normally listen a bit.
you mean like Franz Josef land (independent, yet?)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search