The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
That's it, I've had it with EQ Plug-ins...!
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear

That's it, I've had it with EQ Plug-ins...!

I thought maybe I didn't need one but I was wrong. This is the only piece of hardware that I'm missing. I have everything except outboard EQ's but this is gonna change as of today...

I've been using all the Waves Eq's and although they're not horrible, they're not very musical. I mainly use them for high/low pass on some tracks. I like the automation but that's about it.

I usually prioritize mic placement and selection over equing everything to death but I wanna make my life a little easier. Sometimes it's inevitable.

So...I have around 1.5k more or less that I can spend and that's stretching it.

I need an EQ that's surgical yet musical but not too colored...what's out there for that price and what do you guys like...?
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear

MDW
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear

did you try the Voxengo GlissEQ (software)? far better than waves and cheap.
Old 12th January 2007
Neumann W491 W495 ANT W695 Filtek MK3 or MK5 - around 1-2K for a pair racked
Speck & API rack. haven't heard it, but 1,5K will give you 2 plus a rack. so you can expand later.

I like modules.
my 0.02¢
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear
Check out the Specks, they'd fit perfectly into your budget and you'd actually have a little money left over. These are really cool for the price and are far better/smoother/more musical than any plug, I can highly recommend them. People talk about the Toft one too but I've never heard it so can't comment on it...
Old 12th January 2007

It sounds like you want a good parametric EQ, but the plug in Parametrics are pretty good.

I don't know what to tell you.

-tINY

Old 12th January 2007
It sounds like you need to find UAD-1.
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear

I agree plug-in EQ's = no fun
Old 12th January 2007
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
ANT W695 Filtek MK3 or MK5 - I like modules.
my 0.02¢
Reptil, how do the ANT W695 or W696 compare to the Filtek MkIII? I have a pair of the ANT W696b EQ modules that I got for a song and am wondering if the Filteks are close enough not to bother. I've been curious about the MkIII's for a while.
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs View Post
I need an EQ that's surgical yet musical but not too colored...what's out there for that price and what do you guys like...?

Digi's EQ3 isn't bad, have you tried it?
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
Digi's EQ3 isn't bad, have you tried it?
I like it too.

-R
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear

dude give a try to UAD's Neve 1081 EQ....more effective than the 1073 to me. Also, Samplitude's internal EQ is very, very good !

Personnaly what I don't like with external EQs, is that it takes a sh*tload of time to process all your tracks.....no no for clients. IMO with good pres and a nice sound capture, in the box EQs will do the job. Maybe some parametric at tracking but just a little to define the space you will give to your tracks.
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear

give the Eliosound AirEQ plug a try! very musical IMO theres a good demo available.
Old 12th January 2007
yeah, EQs are one place where plug-ins are doing very well lately, if you ask me.

AirEQ is very cool, the Waves SSL4k is also excellent...
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear

OK, I'm definitely taking notes here...

Maybe I just don't like the Waves EQ's but I was looking for something a bit more exciting. I do a lot of fx/send/returns with all outboard on my mixes so that wouldn't bother me that much.

It's just that there at times when I want to manipulate guitars or vocals and still have it sound natural where I wish I had something outboard...
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

No, Dreamsongs, you're right.

It's a common consensus that parametric EQ can be done well ITB, which it can. In my opinion, tho, it can't touch real outboard.

I was totally fine growing up ITB until I got my hands on an API 550a years ago...I wish I could say I haven't looked back since, but unfortunately, I'm still ITB for the mostpart.

There are good software EQs. That new AirEQ is nice. The Voxengo is good too, as are the Waves SSL. URS are...all right...but they still can't touch the EQ on even a Vintech X81.

Hardware EQs just do it for me. They actually sound like they're doing something meaningful and musical when you turn the knobs. Software just sounds like its...doing something. They get the job done, tho. Like Roger Nichols UNIQUEL-IZER, for instance, great for surgical stuff and utility work.

Anyways, I've rambled on enough. There are plenty of good software EQs out there. But if you're looking to be wowed like you are with hardware, don't hold your breath.
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Let me tell you how much I want to be wowed...

I want to change the characteristics of a mic, guitar, vocal or any other instrument and not have the listener know what I did.

I want magic !

Oops, I think that word might cost me 1k more though...
Old 13th January 2007
Metric Halo ChannelStrip...
Old 13th January 2007
Gear Nut

Obviously you are going to get nicer results with good outboard. To say that eq can't be musical in the box, though, is a bit of an overstatement IMHO. I find that digi eq3 is a very musical eq. Ditto filterbank, Oxford, and the Elemental (R.Nichols) equim/whatever. The high end is where these usually fall short. Generally, if the stuff I'm mixing was tracked with crappy converters, I'm stuck with the high end as it is - boosting exacerbates that digital 'ringing' in cymbals for example in the 5k and up area with all digital eqs. Thats when I pop it out of the box. Otherwise, I don't feel that I have major issues in the box anymore with eq. It may not be as simple as twisting a knob to get the flavour you are after, but it can be had....
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterlab View Post
Obviously you are going to get nicer results with good outboard. To say that eq can't be musical in the box, though, is a bit of an overstatement IMHO.
Agreed, I didn't mean to come of like that, exactly. I just like outboard that much more.

Here are a list of ITB EQs I consider "musical:"

Eliosound AirEQ
Voxengo Gliss EQ
UAD-1 Pultec (Haven't tried the Neve stuff)
URS N-Series EQ (It can save the high end!)

I might think of more later. For most people that are "searching" tho, "magic" = outboard.
Old 13th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher View Post
Reptil, how do the ANT W695 or W696 compare to the Filtek MkIII? I have a pair of the ANT W696b EQ modules that I got for a song and am wondering if the Filteks are close enough not to bother. I've been curious about the MkIII's for a while.
IME very close. Same feel, same precision, same control, slightly different color in the sound when pushed. Filteks are a bit more direct, some ppl. say agressive, but I think agressive is not the good word, Neumanns a bit softer and rounder. The Neumanns fetch much more on ebay than the ANT and Filteks. Sometimes even 3x as much. I had the Filteks first and last year finally got some neumanns I don't think the difference in sound justifies that.

There is some difference in MK3 models, early ones MK3, MK3a sounds a bit different than the MK3c (BFE). Maybe less focussed, but more tone. But only a tiny bit. The inside is definatively different. I have heard from a reputable source, the MK5 is the same sound.
To sum it up, all the same ballpark.

Neumann PEV and OEV are quite different, so are siemens, WSW and telefunken, I didn't try other Neumanns, Tore Seem, Lawo or the small TFKs yet. NTP is again another color. and it has weird green lights and grey faceplate LOL looks like a zombie eq

The search continues... heh
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

I've been looking around, the EQ-2NV is a bit too steep at the moment. I've also ben looking at Lil Freq by Empirical Labs. The list goes on...

Believe me, if somebody can show me a plug-in that sounds killer even when you abuse it, I'll consider it...
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

filterbank
sony EQ
MDW

also good chioces
Old 13th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
I might think of more later. For most people that are "searching" tho, "magic" = outboard.
the thing I like is that some outboard sounds different when the signal is higher level. and so affect the sound in different ways. Also some outboard, with good transformers seems to tighten up the focus, in a hard to describe way. I have not heard this in plugins, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. I ALMOST bought an UAD-1 offered here in the classifieds, but, something held me back and made me buy more hardware. To be completely honest, I didn't look much at all at software eqs. too busy. (And I noticed, that if I type something describing gear, ppl. sometimes do not understand what I try to say, maybe I'm just not so good at that. heh)
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
the thing I like is that some outboard sounds different when the signal is higher level. and so affect the sound in different ways. Also some outboard, with good transformers seems to tighten up the focus, in a hard to describe way. I have not heard this in plugins, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. I ALMOST bought an UAD-1 offered here in the classifieds, but, something held me back and made me buy more hardware. To be completely honest, I didn't look much at all at software eqs. too busy. (And I noticed, that if I type something describing gear, ppl. sometimes do not understand what I try to say, maybe I'm just not so good at that. heh)

It's hard to describe a good EQ until you've heard one...

I'm usually never dissapointed with good outboard. I can't say the same about software...
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

The EQ 3 is a real musical EQ.
I'm not asking this to be weird, but what is it about the ITB EQ that you're missing?
Are you looking for air on the top end of the mix? An extreme surgical EQ? Just what?
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
The EQ 3 is a real musical EQ.
I'm not asking this to be weird, but what is it about the ITB EQ that you're missing?
Are you looking for air on the top end of the mix? An extreme surgical EQ? Just what?
I've been mainly using the plug-ins for band passes and some surgical cuts here and there.

But like I've already said, I need something different. Something that I can boost and sounds musical and won't leave me with that ringing noise in my ears when I boost over 4 or 5k.

I'm not trying to make an AT4050 sound like a U47 but you know what I mean.

Plug-ins to me sound like plain vanilla and I like chocolate and strawberry with some hot extra fudge on top...

I hope that explains it...
Old 13th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Something that I can boost and sounds musical and won't leave me with that ringing noise in my ears when I boost over 4 or 5k.

I hope that explains it...
What are you using for converters on the way in?
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Most software eq plugs -- if you push them to extremes -- do unpleasant things to transients, IMHO. Eliosound's Air eq does not seem to do so for me (nor does the Waves SSL, but it's a different flavor and I tend to prefer the Air). I am highly displeased when the detail I struggle to put into my tracks is lost because of the lameness of a software eq. The Air has done some good things for me, sometimes it even brings out some life that was missing. Give it a shot.

Cheers.

Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been mainly using the plug-ins for band passes and some surgical cuts here and there.
For surgical cuts, I really like Roger Nichols UNIQUEL-IZER. It's very configureable, and does a decent job not making a phasey mess when I'm butchering a snare track trying to get the ring out.

For broadband high-end boosting, I like the URS N-Series EQ. I just like the top end on that one, I guess. Same with the real thing, I guess I just like the top end on Neves (and I guess URS did a decent job at emulating it!)

Reptil, the UAD-1 cards have some good EQs on them. What outboard did you buy instead?

Anyways, sorry for posting so much in this thread, dreamsongs, go ahead and grab some demos! The Eliosound AirEQ is a good place to start, their demo has unlimited usage (can't save settings or automate, tho.)

Speaking of unlimited demo usage periods, how about that Massey vt3 EQ? That's one of the Massey plugins I haven't used much...any comments on it?

By the way, dreamsongs, are you running RTAS, VST, AU?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search