The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beyerdynamic MC930 vs Beyerdynamic MC713 Condenser Microphones
Old 26th September 2015
Gear Nut

Beyerdynamic MC930 vs Beyerdynamic MC713

It seems many people love the mc930's as a workhorse sdc and some even prefer it as a substitute for the pricey neumann km 84's...

So I've recently been given the chance to obtain a pair of the older beyerdynamic 713s - CV710 body with CK703 capsules - for about $300 - is this a good deal?

I own a single AKG 451E w/ CK1 capsule, and let me tell you that mic taught me the importance of a nice sdc- it is one of the sweetest mic's I own, esp on acoustic guitars... however, i'd like a matched pair and these just came up...

So how do the older 713 mic's stack up against the revered 930s in terms of sound quality, clarity, workhorse-ness, durability, and generally? Can they be thought of as pretty much the same or are there vast differences between the two models?

I couldn't find very much info about the 713s online, no reviews, so I'm just wondering how they stack up and if it's worth it. Personally I don't like to buy gear - even at a steal of a deal - unless I'm going to put it to good use, so I'm trying to figure out how useful these mic's are for tracking ac guitars, drum ohs, pianos, rooms, etc

i also have the opportunity to get my hands on some MC 734s pretty cheap, what do people think of those?

Thanks!
Old 28th September 2015
Gear Nut

Anybody??? Info on the 713??? Plz....
Old 8th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiobuild View Post
It seems many people love the mc930's as a workhorse sdc and some even prefer it as a substitute for the pricey neumann km 84's...

So I've recently been given the chance to obtain a pair of the older beyerdynamic 713s - CV710 body with CK703 capsules - for about $300 - is this a good deal?

I own a single AKG 451E w/ CK1 capsule, and let me tell you that mic taught me the importance of a nice sdc- it is one of the sweetest mic's I own, esp on acoustic guitars... however, i'd like a matched pair and these just came up...

So how do the older 713 mic's stack up against the revered 930s in terms of sound quality, clarity, workhorse-ness, durability, and generally? Can they be thought of as pretty much the same or are there vast differences between the two models?

I couldn't find very much info about the 713s online, no reviews, so I'm just wondering how they stack up and if it's worth it. Personally I don't like to buy gear - even at a steal of a deal - unless I'm going to put it to good use, so I'm trying to figure out how useful these mic's are for tracking ac guitars, drum ohs, pianos, rooms, etc

i also have the opportunity to get my hands on some MC 734s pretty cheap, what do people think of those?

Thanks!
Hi, I hope my response it's not too late!

The short answer is, yes, that sounds like a very good deal, get them if you can!

The long answer is below:

The specs for the 713 can be found here: http://www.coutant.org/beyerpdf/studiogroup.pdf (page 6)

As you can see, the specs are not that different from the 930, although the 713's presence peak is a bit higher and it has more bass.

beyerdynamic MC 930

In its day this mic was about the price of the MC930 now. However, sometimes you can find them relatively cheap, particularly as the full name of the microphone is indicated nowhere, just the capsule (CK703) and the preamp (CV710) names. They are not very well known and are very much a sleeper mic.

I have had the similar MC714 (CK704 capsule, same as the CK703 but with a windscreen that removes wind noise and changes the response a little, giving it less bass and a flat top-end that rolls off gently above 15khz) for years and just yesterday I got a CK703 capsule that makes it into a MC713. I A-B'd it against some of my other SDC microphones and liked it a lot.

Compared to a 451 with CK1, the MC714 has far less proximity effect (probably due to the sintered capsule), which means you can use it closer to the sound source without the sound getting too boomy (probably a cool feature in some situations). The top end is extended but much smoother than that of the famously bright CK1, so it would complement your CK1 well (you can use the 451 CK1 when you want an instrument to cut through the mix and the MC714 for a more subtle flatter sound, for instance when the instrument sounds fairly bright and agressive in the room).

Apart from that, it was a standard, high-quality SDC. It sounded very good on acoustic guitar, I bet a matched pair would be really useful.

I did not AB it against my KM84 , but will soon!

Last edited by Santiago; 8th December 2015 at 10:12 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search