The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best DIYless AKG C12 Clone Condenser Microphones
Old 4th August 2017
  #151
Lives for gear
 
druhms's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
Why not just let Shannon build you a capsule for the peluso?
Yeah, this has been a good learning experience. I approached this purchase with the budget playing a "real life" type role and to use these mics in a couple of specific ways.
I needed that "c12 sound" on 1-2 specific applications. The Peluso had a very respectable product straight out of the gate. I was happy with the crucial hi end on certain things, others, not at all. This was NOT my "go to" mic in general. Just got a couple of reasons. It worked great.....then did not. I bought a 2nd hand Tim Cam capsule. It smoothed out really well, but lost the "C12 mojo". I'm not willing to chase this thing with more money. I ended up putting Peluso Capsules back in. I like it more often. Not ALL OF THE TIME. But it's closer to what I need.

A good friend, and respected ear, suggested another option entirely! Yes, much more money, but not more than if I kept chasing the Magic Unicorns! So, as for now, Peluso works, when it works.
Saving pennies for Circle Brother recommendation!
JJ
Old 4th August 2017
  #152
I'm surprised you didn't contact me about your capsule. It should have given you a much truer C12 sound than the Peluso so it sounds like there may have been something wrong with it. You are still welcome to email me at [email protected]
Old 6th August 2017
  #153
Lives for gear
 
druhms's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Campbell View Post
I'm surprised you didn't contact me about your capsule. It should have given you a much truer C12 sound than the Peluso so it sounds like there may have been something wrong with it. You are still welcome to email me at [email protected]
Tim,

Thank you for reaching out! i may be in touch. I had no intentions of this mic purchase to go endlessly out of bounds. I've used C12's many times, but I crave them on a couple of specific items. I hope we can talk soon!
Thanks!
JJ
Boogie Tracks — Boogie Tracks Recording Studio
Old 12th August 2017
  #154
Gear Nut
new Cathedral Guitars/ TAB-Funkenwerk OA-1 Tube Mic..!!! https://reverb.com/item/6293624-new-...by-klaus-heyne
Old 23rd November 2017
  #155
Here for the gear
 
Masterlands's Avatar
Hello,
Just dropping to put you a link with some sound comparisons between a C12 replica, a U87 replica, and a real Neumann TLM 103.
Clones are from Mic and Mod (vintage microphones).
Some of you will need a translator

Prueba de micrófonos DIY de Mic&Mod | AUDIOFORO

Hope it's useful.
Old 24th November 2017
  #156
Lives for gear
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlands View Post
Hello,
Just dropping to put you a link with some sound comparisons between a C12 replica, a U87 replica, and a real Neumann TLM 103.
Clones are from Mic and Mod (vintage microphones).
Some of you will need a translator

Prueba de micrófonos DIY de Mic&Mod | AUDIOFORO

Hope it's useful.
I thought the M12 and "U87" were greatly superior to the TLM103 in every test.

Of course various sources are more and less suited to the M12 or 87.

Makes me feel good about heading into some more mic builds like these, solid state.
Old 24th November 2017
  #157
Here for the gear
 
Masterlands's Avatar
Indeed both are microphones of a true high quality, with very good components, as the 103, with the added value of being character mics, so most of the times I prefer them than the Neumann. Honestly I don't use the TLM so much since I had those two...so is not surprising to me when hearing your preferences.
The fact they are FET (with trafo the U87i and transformerless the M12) means that M12 isn't exactly a clone, but an aproximation, some kind of a version. This M12 seems to have the shine-but-no-harsh sound in the highs of the original C12, and the lows are very powerful and rounded. It's also very detailed, beautiful. For the price you get an homologable pro sound, IMHO. True must be said that it has only 1+1 polar patterns, this is very reduced in comparison with it's original.
Really the M12 sounds better to me connected to my Avalon 737 SP pre, maybe the touch of the tubes, who knows, and I don't like it as much with my ISA Two pre.
Old 27th December 2017
  #158
Gear Maniac
 
Kore's Avatar
 

Mic rehab c12

This thread inspired me to reach out to to Shannon at Mic Rehab and commission two c12 builds. They arrived last week.

Here they are sitting alongside our c24. Got to say, they sound incredible. More detailed and present than the c24 but sonically feel like they are part of the same family. An amazing addition to our mic cupboard

Kore Studios
Attached Thumbnails
Best DIYless AKG C12 Clone-9feaa233-8592-4af7-b314-fbd3d2e7afdf.jpg  
Old 17th May 2018
  #159
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...once you familiarize yourself with the capsules, each manufacturer has certain build characteristics that make it possible to identify their work...below are the Heiserman HK-12 (left), the BeesNeez CK12 (center) and the Campbell CT12 (right)...the ADK GK12 is above in my previous post...

Good night people.
I recently bought a Chinese microphone = Alctron T190.

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/Alctr...670297844.html



I wonder if it is possible to replace your capsule with any of these models?
Or another type of capsule, with style U47, U67 etc.
Thank you.
Greetings everyone
Old 18th May 2018
  #160
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

What did the OP get in the end?
Old 22nd May 2018
  #161
Lives for gear
Send it to Shannon Rhoades at Mic Rehab | Keeping the classic microphones alive by restoring capsules with today's new technology.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassio2263 View Post
Good night people.
I recently bought a Chinese microphone = Alctron T190.

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/Alctr...670297844.html



I wonder if it is possible to replace your capsule with any of these models?
Or another type of capsule, with style U47, U67 etc.
Thank you.
Greetings everyone
Old 22nd May 2018
  #162
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Thank you.
I'll get in touch with them.
Old 22nd May 2018
  #163
Lives for gear
Tell him Antoine (Twenty) sent you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassio2263 View Post
Thank you.
I'll get in touch with them.
Old 22nd May 2018
  #164
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
Tell him Antoine (Twenty) sent you.
OK,
Thanks
Cheers
Old 1 week ago
  #165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassio2263 View Post
OK,
Thanks
Cheers
I'd like to know, if anyone of you has experience with it, what are the tonal differences for an Elam 250 kind of mic when using the Tim Campbell capsule or the MBHO/Haun capsule.

I think that the Haun capsule is a bit darker, and the Tim Campbell more scooped with extended highs, but I am not sure about that. The Haun is used in the Bock 251, and the Tim Campbell in the Flea, both excellent mic makers. The Haun is a bit more expensive but that wouldn't matter.

For all the rest of the components, I've settled with the best, but I have doubts about the capsule. Anybody has compared the two in the same mic so knows the differences?

Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
  #166
The Haun capsule is a litte darker than mine though if you really prefer I can make you one with the same frequency response of the Haun.
Old 1 week ago
  #167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Campbell View Post
The Haun capsule is a litte darker than mine though if you really prefer I can make you one with the same frequency response of the Haun.
Thanks Tim. Actually I guess that your stock capsule should be fine. Can you confirm that I would have, with your stock capsule, the versatility of shelving down a little bit the high end during mixing in order to get mostly the same darker sound, if needed? It is not that I need it all the time, but maybe just for some instruments. I want to know if the differences between the two voicings is subtle or radical.

In my mind I find it easier to tame or remove an extended high end (like yours), than making up the high frequencies if they are not there in the first place, as long as they sound smooth and not harsh.
Old 1 week ago
  #168
Lives for gear
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
I have the opposite opinion about high end on a condenser mic. I'd much rather be able to boost as needed, than having to chase down all these shrill sounds coming from everywhere.

I'm not talking about Tim's capsules. Just my own journey with buying and also building/designing condenser microphones.
Old 1 week ago
  #169
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I have the opposite opinion about high end on a condenser mic. I'd much rather be able to boost as needed, than having to chase down all these shrill sounds coming from everywhere.

I'm not talking about Tim's capsules. Just my own journey with buying and also building/designing condenser microphones.
Hi Monkey, we are not opposites here. Tim Capsule is known for its extended high end but without harshness. You and I can work on any source if it is not harsh or “poluted” in any way. If the high end is there and is nice then you can boost it even more if you like or you can dip it as well, depending on the context or what you want. If the highs were harsh or low fi then that would be a problem. What I said is that if the highs are there in the first place I can tame them down easy.

I guess that in the end you can get a pretty similar end result with both capsules the Haun and the Campbell, but Tim or Bock are probably more indicated to comment on that.
Old 1 week ago
  #170
Lives for gear
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttattwa View Post
Hi Monkey, we are not opposites here. Tim Capsule is known for its extended high end but without harshness. You and I can work on any source if it is not harsh or “poluted” in any way. If the high end is there and is nice then you can boost it even more if you like or you can dip it as well, depending on the context or what you want. If the highs were harsh or low fi then that would be a problem. What I said is that if the highs are there in the first place I can tame them down easy.

I guess that in the end you can get a pretty similar end result with both capsules the Haun and the Campbell, but Tim or Bock are probably more indicated to comment on that.
Yes, but it is a very fine line, with some of these capsules. Mic electrical circuit also can go in either direction.

Do you use an EQ to cut your trebles? That usually feels like repair work to me rather than mixing. Though sometimes it must be done.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump