The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HD24XR punching in and out not possible? Consoles
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear
HD24XR punching in and out not possible?

I have 2 more bands coming in to record next month, so I decided to piss away the money in advance as usual.
Not a very slutty upgrade, but I ordered a new Adat HD24XR and 6 trs proco snakes to replace my current 3 Adat XT machines.
In my experience from the old 4 track casettes, to 8 track reel to reel, and then the Adat XT machines....
Punching in and out "on the fly" has been a common part of my engineering.
I had to call Alesis support, because I could not believe that this is not possible without pre setting locate points on the HD24XR....
Is there any way around this, other than locate points or recording to another track and editing later?
It makes me a little uneasy having people on the clock, if I have to change the methods that I am used to.
Tell me there's a way around this.
Old 12th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti View Post
I have 2 more bands coming in to record next month, so I decided to piss away the money in advance as usual.
Not a very slutty upgrade, but I ordered a new Adat HD24XR and 6 trs proco snakes to replace my current 3 Adat XT machines.
In my experience from the old 4 track casettes, to 8 track reel to reel, and then the Adat XT machines....
Punching in and out "on the fly" has been a common part of my engineering.
I had to call Alesis support, because I could not believe that this is not possible without pre setting locate points on the HD24XR....
Is there any way around this, other than locate points or recording to another track and editing later?
It makes me a little uneasy having people on the clock, if I have to change the methods that I am used to.
Tell me there's a way around this.
I've never done punch-ins and punch-outs on the HD24, but the manual says that it's pretty easy to do. You can do it via the Locate points, and that's probably the safest way to do it, but you can also do it on the fly - either via the front panel or a foot pedal. You did read the manual, right?

To punch-in, first record enable the tracks that you want replaced, then press Play on the deck. When you reach the point where you want to punch-in, either press Record on the panel or push the foot pedal. When you reach the punch-out point, press Play on the panel or press the foot switch again. That should be all there is to it. Again, though, I've never done it, so play with it to make sure you know how it works.

If you really want to reach the people who know the HD24, you should join the Yahoo HD24 group. It's a very active community of very smart people who know a lot about the HD24. BTW, congratulations on your purchase. You'd have to spend a whole lot more money to get anything even marginally better than the HD24XR. I think you'll find it to be an enormous upgrade in sound quality over your old ADATs.
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear

I do punch-ins on the fly all the time with my HD24. It works pretty much like a tape machine, though my guess is it's a bit quicker and smoother than some of those old decks. Just make sure you hit "auto input" so you can hear what's happening on the track before the punch-in.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 12th January 2007
Gear Maniac

It doesn't take very long and its very safe when done right. Ffine tune where the punch goes in and out, ste it on auto punch and the edit is seemless. I do it all the time.
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear
I went on the web to Alesis support, and was reading through the Adat "frequently asked questions" , and came across this# 35...

35. Can I punch in/out on the fly using the track arming buttons?
The HD24 does not currently allow the user to punch in/out using the track arming buttons. All tracks that the user desires to punch in on must be set prior to pressing Rec + Play

Ok...so if I pre arm the track, I CAN punch in and out on the fly by hitting the main record button to start, and hit play again to get out?
I can live with that.
Looking forward to getting it in the rack early next week!
Thanks for your help Brothas!
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear

That's how it works. I've punched in a whole band live to redo the last chorus of a song. The punch ins are seamless.
One thing to consider: the hard drive can only count to 64 different songs. So if you expect to be recording a lot of short stuff, just use it like a tape recorder and roll maybe 20 minutes worth of material before you name the song and create a new song.
You can get hard drives really cheap at Best Buy. Check the sale paper on Sunday. Make sure to get a couple of extra hard drive caddies so you can have extra drives laying around. And backup your work to the second drive in the second drive bay. The only problem I ever had with my HD24 was when I filled up a backup hard drive till there were, like, only 20 minutes of space left. Then, when I moved it to the left drive bay, that one couldn't recognized the drive. (You always do your backups from the left drive to the right drive.) As I recall, after I deleted a couple of songs from the too-full drive, then the left bay would recognize it. So, as long as you don't fill your drives to the brim, you should be Okay.
Old 12th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Ok...so if I pre arm the track, I CAN punch in and out on the fly by hitting the main record button to start, and hit play again to get out?
That's what the manual says. Or you can plug an outboard switch into the Punch jack on the back of the deck and use that. It's pretty simple - just hook any standard pushbutton (a doorbell button or something from Radio Shack for example) to an ordinary quarter-inch TS plug and the HD24 will use it.
Old 12th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
One thing to consider: the hard drive can only count to 64 different songs.
That limitation was removed from the HD24 almost five years ago! You need update your firmware. There are a lot of new features in the HD24 that weren't in there originally.

Let me reiterate that any HD24 owner who isn't a member of the HD24 group is missing out on an extremely useful community of users. There are nearly 1600 of us as members now: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/hd24/
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
That's how it works. I've punched in a whole band live to redo the last chorus of a song. The punch ins are seamless.
One thing to consider: the hard drive can only count to 64 different songs. So if you expect to be recording a lot of short stuff, just use it like a tape recorder and roll maybe 20 minutes worth of material before you name the song and create a new song.
You can get hard drives really cheap at Best Buy. Check the sale paper on Sunday. Make sure to get a couple of extra hard drive caddies so you can have extra drives laying around. And backup your work to the second drive in the second drive bay. The only problem I ever had with my HD24 was when I filled up a backup hard drive till there were, like, only 20 minutes of space left. Then, when I moved it to the left drive bay, that one couldn't recognized the drive. (You always do your backups from the left drive to the right drive.) As I recall, after I deleted a couple of songs from the too-full drive, then the left bay would recognize it. So, as long as you don't fill your drives to the brim, you should be Okay.
Thanks Uncle Duncan!!!!
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilliland View Post
That limitation was removed from the HD24 almost five years ago! You need update your firmware. There are a lot of new features in the HD24 that weren't in there originally.

Let me reiterate that any HD24 owner who isn't a member of the HD24 group is missing out on an extremely useful community of users. There are nearly 1600 of us as members now: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/hd24/
Thanks Gilliland!!
Are you a member of this group?
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by idylldon View Post
I do punch-ins on the fly all the time with my HD24. It works pretty much like a tape machine, though my guess is it's a bit quicker and smoother than some of those old decks. Just make sure you hit "auto input" so you can hear what's happening on the track before the punch-in.

Cheers,
--
Don
Thanks Don!
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Gilliland!!
Are you a member of this group?
He's the one who put the group together and moderates it, and he does a fine job. It's a fantastic resource for anyone who owns/operates an HD24.

Cheers,
--
Don
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search