The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
GAP COMP-2A and COMP-3A?!
Old 18th September 2015
Gear Nut

GAP COMP-2A and COMP-3A?!

I responded in the thread "Which 1/2 rack compressor should i get?" and the OP posted that GAP was coming out with an 1176 syle comp. So I went to check out the GAP website and what do I see?

Pretty exciting. They suppose to start shipping in November/December.
Old 18th September 2015
Gear Guru

Judging my the names, and the look those probably aren't 1176 clones. LA2A and LA3s are opto compressors, and are quite different fro the FET 1176.
Old 18th September 2015
Gear Nut

I guess my post wasn't clear. I went to their site to check out the comp76 and while browsing I also saw the comp2a and 3a. But thanks for the clarification.
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

Price check or ballpark figure please.

Cheers
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

From GAP FB page:

Any idea about price and date of release of 2A and 3A??
Golden Age Project: You can expect them early to mid-fall, hopefully the price range will stay within 400-500 EUR

Is that a new GAP compressor? LA3 copy?
Golden Age Project: Yes the two black ones are inspired by the LA2A And the LA3A!
Old 19th September 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuvanh25 View Post
I guess my post wasn't clear. I went to their site to check out the comp76 and while browsing I also saw the comp2a and 3a. But thanks for the clarification.
I see. They do look interesting.
Old 19th September 2015
The Comp2A looks pretty cool, especially for the price. Also, interesting that GAP is getting into tube gear (at least I assume if it's an LA2A clone it will be tube based).
Old 11th November 2015
Gear Head

Anyone know if there's any updates on the LA2A and LA3A?
Old 11th November 2015
Here for the gear
I'm sure the 3A is priced at about 5000 SEK. About £380.

I don't know where I've read this though.
Old 12th November 2015
Lives for gear

I'm very interested in this. I'm in the market for a compressor and I love the la2a!! Wonder how this stacks up?? If I get one I will DEFINITELY do a comparison between the 2 the day it arrives!!
Old 12th November 2015
Gear Addict

I fiddled with the COMP-3A at AES at the Alto Music booth. (They did not have the COMP-2A.) Build quality seemed great. It felt just like a real la-3a except it employs a wall wart. Wasn't plugged in so I didn't hear it though.
Old 12th November 2015
Lives for gear

"We are working on these exciting products.
The COMP-3A in production at present and is expected to be in stock in the middle of December.
The COMP-2A is still in developement and is expected to be in stock in February."

Golden Age Project COMP-2A and COMP-3A (Product details / Produktdetaljer) [Golden Age Music AB]
Old 3rd December 2015
Lives for gear

I see they put the 3a in the advert in SoundonSound this month...

....waits patiently for comp2a.... let's speculate it's half the price of the IGS One LA (£625)... I wonder how close to the sound it'll get...
Old 15th December 2015
Lives for gear

that translates to about £400 inc vat...
Old 17th December 2015
If this gets into a 500 unit it's an instant buy for me
Old 17th December 2015
Lives for gear

Whoa, that LA-3a looks *A LOT* like the Sa-3a (shadow audio then, serpent audio now) I DIY'ed a few years ago.

Herwig
Old 29th December 2015
any news on this?
Old 30th December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniis35 View Post
any news on this?
I just got an email from zen pro audio that the 2a and 3a are ready to ship. $499 that NUTS!! I was just looking for a stereo La-2a. The only thing is I don't know how they sound??

Anyone use one or have any demos up somewhere?
I'm in between the mohog or these
Old 30th December 2015
Lives for gear

1/16/2016 the LA3A version will be available and the LA2A in February. I might have to check out their LA3A version

Golden Age Project COMP-3A Single Channel Compressor | SamAsh
Old 30th December 2015
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limit54 View Post
I just got an email from zen pro audio that the 2a and 3a are ready to ship. $499 that NUTS!! I was just looking for a stereo La-2a. The only thing is I don't know how they sound??

Anyone use one or have any demos up somewhere?
I'm in between the mohog or these
Hey there, it's the Comp3A that is in stock in very, very small numbers. I do not know when the 2A will ship but will be a while.

We also have audio in our Clipalator using both compressor and limiter modes, and the HF sidechain feature on vocals.

War
Old 30th December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Hey there, it's the Comp3A that is in stock in very, very small numbers. I do not know when the 2A will ship but will be a while.

We also have audio in our Clipalator using both compressor and limiter modes, and the HF sidechain feature on vocals.

War
Thanks,
The clipalator is great but if you could add one feature that would be awesome. The feature is to be able to have 3 references in a que so you can play them one after the other or switch between them at will.
It just easier to reference from an unprocessed source and then between two different units. Online only!!

Thanks,
Steve
Old 30th December 2015
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Thanks,
The clipalator is great but if you could add one feature that would be awesome. The feature is to be able to have 3 references in a que so you can play them one after the other or switch between them at will.
It just easier to reference from an unprocessed source and then between two different units. Online only!!

Thanks,
Steve
If you hover over the clip an arrow pops up, that is a download arrow. You could then load 3 files in your DAW and switch.

War
Old 30th December 2015
Quote:
If you hover over the clip an arrow pops up, that is a download arrow. You could then load 3 files in your DAW and switch.

War
I know. I was just thinking of a quicker easier way.
Old 30th December 2015
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
I know. I was just thinking of a quicker easier way.
Re-building the entire format (another player or system entirely) isn't a quicker easier way I am sorry to report.

War
Old 1st January 2016
Lives for gear
Alto has them in stock, apparently: Golden Age Comp3A Vintage Style Compressor | AltoMusic.com
Old 1st January 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Re-building the entire format (another player or system entirely) isn't a quicker easier way I am sorry to report.

War
Would it be a major project to get it off Flash? I wanted to obsessively fritter my life away comparing mics over xmas, but couldn't because I only had my iPad with me.
Old 1st January 2016
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleHold View Post
Would it be a major project to get it off Flash? I wanted to obsessively fritter my life away comparing mics over xmas, but couldn't because I only had my iPad with me.
It's actually on the agenda to move it to a universal, HTML based player.

Stay tuned.

War
Old 1st January 2016
Lives for gear

What was your first impressions, War?
Old 1st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's actually on the agenda to move it to a universal, HTML based player.

Stay tuned.

War
100% of my internet browsing is on iPad or iPhone, so that's good news as I've never been able to check out the clipalator. If I'm on the computer I'm usually only downloading updates and that's it. I suspect a lot of people are surfing on their iPad or mobile device as well.

Is it possible to rack mount a pair of 2A? If so, how much space would it use?
Thanks.
📝 Reply