The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
GAP COMP-2A and COMP-3A?!
Old 12th April 2018
  #391
Deleted 6ccb844
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Fair enough, mate .

For whatever it might be worth, I have clips of my own voice (from when I was looking hard at lots of tracking comps) through a bunch of stuff, including the Warm and the Stam. I can send them to you. The Warm and Stam are extremely close, with the Stam being cleaner (not in a bad way, just less hair on it).
Would love to hear it thanks buddy, what pre's are you running as well? One thing that could of skewed my perception, I wasn't getting along with my Daking Pre's.

Two of them failed in the first year and had be sent back, ultimately I ended up replacing them with Neve and DBX 676's (plus some spares on my desk)..
Old 12th April 2018
  #392
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
Would love to hear it thanks buddy, what pre's are you running as well? One thing that could of skewed my perception, I wasn't getting along with my Daking Pre's.

Two of them failed in the first year and had be sent back, ultimately I ended up replacing them with Neve and DBX 676's (plus some spares on my desk)..
This clip would be the Great River MP-2NV. PM me your email (I may have it already but can't remember) and as soon as I can I'll dig those clips up and send 'em.
Old 12th April 2018
  #393
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
I tried the gap... compared to an la2a or even the 610... meh. I think a little tubier than the warm tbh

I got my old la2a back... I still think the 610 does a better la2a impersonation than the warm or the gap... makes sense as it uses the exact same options element as the la2a...

The gap 3a is crazy cool though and I’ll pick up one or two of them

Note on the 610... I’ve found running program through the line input makes the comp perform more closely to the la2a... the 610mkii is a little brighter than an la2 but it’s eq can dial that back
thanks, very useful reply!
Old 22nd May 2018
  #394
Gear Nut
 

So can anyone compare the comp 3a and comp 2a. I'm looking to get a compressor which adds a bit of life to digital tracks, and also for tracking vocals. I'm wondering is the tone of the comp 2a more round without being dull, will the 3a also add a bit of 'vintage' tone?

I had a 76 before that seemed to emphasise the high end in a harsh way, does the 3a do this when pushed?
Old 22nd May 2018
  #395
Gear Addict
 
dariva's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrizzi View Post
So can anyone compare the comp 3a and comp 2a. I'm looking to get a compressor which adds a bit of life to digital tracks, and also for tracking vocals. I'm wondering is the tone of the comp 2a more round without being dull, will the 3a also add a bit of 'vintage' tone?

I had a 76 before that seemed to emphasise the high end in a harsh way, does the 3a do this when pushed?
When I got my 3A some months ago, I tested the high pass side chain knob fully clockwise (highest HP) and left it like that since. I record spoken word mostly - VO and hiphop vocals, and it seems it works really nice with my main mic - 3U Audio GZ251, which has a really sweet high end, but could be a bit too pronounced on some voices and louder signal (as even the best LD mics).

So I think it will be exactly the opposite to your 76 comp. I love my 3A - pretty sweet compression, a bit on the vintage-y side, fights digital harshness very well.
Old 22nd May 2018
  #396
Gear Nut
 

Thanks a lot, thats what I was hoping for.
Old 22nd May 2018
  #397
Gear Nut
 

Also I'm aware 2a's or 3a's aren't really designed for the mix bus but in this case, using them for tonal charactaristics and extremely light compression (or none), could they be an option?
Old 22nd May 2018
  #398
Gear Maniac
 
askomiko's Avatar
 

Yes, it can work, I've also used them on drum bus and overheads. Everything is better with big VU meters!
Old 22nd May 2018
  #399
Gear Nut
 

And I'm right in thinking the 3a is a better all rounder, while 2a works on selected sources very well (I know it's all subjective etc).
Old 23rd May 2018
  #400
LA-3As can work surprisingly well on busses because they are faster.

I did a shootout with audiosamples including the GAP 3A when a friend had one to test. It's around here, if you're interested.
Old 5th June 2019
  #401
Lives for gear
 
tkaitkai's Avatar
 

How does the GAP compare to the UAD LA3A?

I've recently fallen in love with the UAD, so much so that I've been printing through it in Console. It controls dynamic vocals beautifully and somehow stays pretty clean/transparent at significant gain reduction. Can't seem to find another plugin that can do this. Still, it'd be great to have something pre-A/D...

If the GAP beats it, I'm sold.
Old 28th August 2019
  #402
Just popped in to claim my place at the table ...

I had been wanting a smooth hardware comp for tracking vocals, bass, and occasional guitar for ages. Couldn't make up my mind. And then the GAP COMP-3A popped up in the SALE section of a local online music gear outlet. Not much of a discount, just enough to make me take a second look. So I started reading reviews and threads like this, and slowly came to the conclusion that this was the comp I was looking for.

It arrived this morning, and although I have only been playing with it for a few hours I am mightily impressed. It really is just what I was looking for. Smooth and subtle, even when pushed hard. I like it!

Vocal chain:
Focusrite ISA One -> COMP-3A -> RME Fireface UCX

Bass chain:
Avalon U5 -> COMP-3A -> RME Fireface UCX

I have the Waves CLA-3A plugin, which is nice, but hardware compression of this quality on the way in is much nicer.

Things are sounding prety good. Time to make some music!

Old 12th July 2020
  #403
Gear Maniac
 
dranzangos's Avatar
I’ll bump to revive. I ordered a pair that I really do love. My waves CLA-3A was in heavy use and so, like many, i grabbed the pair for bass and guitars of all kinds processing. Sounds better than the plugin, with more cut and contrast. Nice bump in tye low mid to give guitars nice mass even at low compression. Very easy to use. If anyone has completed a carnhill transformer mod on these since thread inception, please post your thoughts.

Also there looks to be a new player in the LA3A game with Audioscape teasing details of a 500 and dual unit 19” rack version. Knowing their pedigree I’m sure it will have all of the fabled midrange heft of the original and sell fast! Eyes peeled...
Old 20th July 2020
  #404
Quote:
Originally Posted by dranzangos View Post
I’ll bump to revive. I ordered a pair that I really do love. My waves CLA-3A was in heavy use and so, like many, i grabbed the pair for bass and guitars of all kinds processing. Sounds better than the plugin, with more cut and contrast. Nice bump in tye low mid to give guitars nice mass even at low compression. Very easy to use. If anyone has completed a carnhill transformer mod on these since thread inception, please post your thoughts.

Also there looks to be a new player in the LA3A game with Audioscape teasing details of a 500 and dual unit 19” rack version. Knowing their pedigree I’m sure it will have all of the fabled midrange heft of the original and sell fast! Eyes peeled...
The Audioscape 19“ unit will let you use them dual mono as well as in series per switch, which is a great move. Problem is, since they got more attention - and rightly so - their stuff is incredibly hard to get.
Old 20th July 2020
  #405
Gear Maniac
 
dranzangos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
The Audioscape 19“ unit will let you use them dual mono as well as in series per switch, which is a great move. Problem is, since they got more attention - and rightly so - their stuff is incredibly hard to get.
I guess I got lucky. The first time I tried to place an order I got my Opto AND still had time to hum and haw over a 76. Got em both! They did sell out of everything in like three minutes or something though...
Old 21st July 2020
  #406
Quote:
Originally Posted by dranzangos View Post
I guess I got lucky. The first time I tried to place an order I got my Opto AND still had time to hum and haw over a 76. Got em both! They did sell out of everything in like three minutes or something though...
You were then. Nowadays they sell in three seconds rather.
Old 21st July 2020
  #407
Gear Maniac
 
dranzangos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
You were then. Nowadays they sell in three seconds rather.
Yikes. My order was only a week and a half ago. Some days must just be wilder than others, I guess.
Old 24th July 2020
  #408
Quote:
Originally Posted by dranzangos View Post
Yikes. My order was only a week and a half ago. Some days must just be wilder than others, I guess.
Congrats, you'll love the Opto. It's an awesome box really.
Old 26th July 2020
  #409
Gear Maniac
 
dranzangos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
Congrats, you'll love the Opto. It's an awesome box really.
Just spent a few days burning it in and running vocal stems through it. That is truly one hell of a box. I know folks here like to throw around words like “depth” and “3D” to describe gear but man, this one really makes material shine. The realism this thing imparts is tremendous. Compressing with it makes a vocal sound more organic and in the room, with a fancy sheen on top.
And that HF sensitivity knob is one sweet addition. Super versatile opto that sounds very different from my comp-3as. Im glad to have both.
Old 26th July 2020
  #410
Quote:
Originally Posted by dranzangos View Post
Just spent a few days burning it in and running vocal stems through it. That is truly one hell of a box. I know folks here like to throw around words like “depth” and “3D” to describe gear but man, this one really makes material shine. The realism this thing imparts is tremendous. Compressing with it makes a vocal sound more organic and in the room, with a fancy sheen on top.
And that HF sensitivity knob is one sweet addition. Super versatile opto that sounds very different from my comp-3as. Im glad to have both.
Absolutely. Be sure to run basses through it, too. Start with the HF knob completely CW and turn it CCW. There's a point where it all suddenly falls into place and you'll surely hear it right away.
Old 2nd August 2020
  #411
Here for the gear
 

Curious about the Comp-2A and modding. Say I replace all tubes with NOS to match original specs, upgrade the transformers, and swap out the optical cell for a replacement UA T4B. What would the difference be between this and a reissue or original LA-2A?

And what else could I ship-of-Theseus on this to make it a high level workhorse and keep me from just buying a CL1B or something of similar caliber? Could I go over the top and put it into a nice custom chassis with vintage vu meter just for the hell of it?
Old 3rd August 2020
  #412
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashland View Post
Curious about the Comp-2A and modding. Say I replace all tubes with NOS to match original specs, upgrade the transformers, and swap out the optical cell for a replacement UA T4B. What would the difference be between this and a reissue or original LA-2A?

And what else could I ship-of-Theseus on this to make it a high level workhorse and keep me from just buying a CL1B or something of similar caliber? Could I go over the top and put it into a nice custom chassis with vintage vu meter just for the hell of it?
Why would you do all of that work???

But the audioscape or a reissue

The cl1b isn’t an la2a, so, you’d be p|ssing up a rope for a real long time modding
Old 3rd August 2020
  #413
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post

Why would you do all of that work???

But the audioscape or a reissue

The cl1b isn’t an la2a, so, you’d be p|ssing up a rope for a real long time modding
Goal wouldn’t be to make a CL1B but just a quality optical compressor. Wouldn’t be too much work when compared to building something from scratch/kit, but I wouldn’t mind spending the time. Plus if I know how it works I can make it have the characteristics I want. I see producers like Jess Jackson who know the components and how to get what they’re looking for, I’d like to have that skill. And this comp seems geared for tinkering.

I guess I’m more so wondering if there’s anything beyond these components that inherently would hold this compressor back?
Old 3rd August 2020
  #414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashland View Post
Goal wouldn’t be to make a CL1B but just a quality optical compressor. Wouldn’t be too much work when compared to building something from scratch/kit, but I wouldn’t mind spending the time. Plus if I know how it works I can make it have the characteristics I want. I see producers like Jess Jackson who know the components and how to get what they’re looking for, I’d like to have that skill. And this comp seems geared for tinkering.

I guess I’m more so wondering if there’s anything beyond these components that inherently would hold this compressor back?
Have you heard it stock? Start there before thinking about ripping it apart. You should check what Revive do to these in their mods to get an idea. They change the T4 for a Kenetek and upgrade the audio path at certain spots. Question is, are you familiar with parts and what they do? Are you able to hear them? If yes, cool. If not, don't think you get instant magic by using a certain capacitor.
Or, as bgood said, just get the Audioscape opto. This so good. Like it better than the UA reissue. No need to tinker. Priced really good, all quality parts inside, handbuilt in the US. Or wait til they release their dual LA-3A clone.
Old 3rd August 2020
  #415
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashland View Post
anything beyond these components that inherently would hold this compressor back?
Just the usual things like the person in front of the mic and the person in the control room.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 6125 views: 739493
Avatar for chessparov2.0
chessparov2.0 3 days ago
replies: 131 views: 26235
Avatar for mattias78
mattias78 20th April 2020
replies: 70 views: 3114
Avatar for Drakaland
Drakaland 4 weeks ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump