The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Aurora Audio GTQC or........
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear
Aurora Audio GTQC or........

Ok. I now have the Aurora Audio GTQC which I use to track primarily hip hop and rnb vocals and I love it. But...sometimes I wish I had individual control over both compressor circuits when using them in combination mode. I was flirting with the idea of selling the GTQC and getting a nice pre (Avedis Ma5), a fet comp (probably Hairball Audio or Capi), and a nice opto (JLM La500 or IGS One la). Or I could keep the GTQC and add a fet or opto to my current setup. I love the pre and both comps on the GTQC but sometimes the color when passing through all of the circuits can get a little overbearing. It seems as though separating the compressors would give me the flexibility I'm after to adequately record the variety of voices and deliveries I track. What do you guys think?
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

Hi

I see your point but you have three options (many more if you turn the side chain off and use the paths for sweetening) with opto, FET and combined compress paths. That's a lot more than any other compressor and you have control over threshold, ratio attack and release. If the comb is too strong for you, back the ratio down a little or use one of the other two paths. I'm sure with practice you will love using the GTQC in any mode and will enjoy its classic sound. It's all in one box while your other suggestions are 500 series and cascading paths probably won't sound as good anyway.
Old 17th September 2015
Lives for gear
Thanks Mr. Tanner. Honestly...I don't see this box leaving my studio. It's too nicety!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search