The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Suggestions for using "Piano" live
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Head

Suggestions for using "Piano" live

Hello guys.

I play in a psychedelic chill out band and we use 4 keyboards together to simulate all sounds we have on our EP.
One of my favorites keyboard is my Yamaha P155 Digital Piano.
I use it with some effects pedal (carbon copy, phase 90 and tremolo) to simulate various sounds of pianos, elec. pianos and organs used on our EP.
I love the feeling of playing on heavy keys, like an acoustic piano but the problem of this keyboard is its weight: 42 pounds.
Since we're having some concerts and we have to travel, it's getting a little bit complicated to bring it together with us since we have no roadies.

Well, the thing is, I'm asking for some suggestions of keyboards with an 'acoustic piano feeling' (heavy keys, with elec piano, organs etc.) that would be easier to carry on tour with my band.
Please, tell me your experience (if you have one) with one of these, so I can save money to exchange this beast.

Thanks guys!

Old 17th September 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipitomelo View Post
Hello guys.

I play in a psychedelic chill out band and we use 4 keyboards together to simulate all sounds we have on our EP.
One of my favorites keyboard is my Yamaha P155 Digital Piano.
I use it with some effects pedal (carbon copy, phase 90 and tremolo) to simulate various sounds of pianos, elec. pianos and organs used on our EP.
I love the feeling of playing on heavy keys, like an acoustic piano but the problem of this keyboard is its weight: 42 pounds.
Since we're having some concerts and we have to travel, it's getting a little bit complicated to bring it together with us since we have no roadies.

Well, the thing is, I'm asking for some suggestions of keyboards with an 'acoustic piano feeling' (heavy keys, with elec piano, organs etc.) that would be easier to carry on tour with my band.
Please, tell me your experience (if you have one) with one of these, so I can save money to exchange this beast.

Thanks guys!

Not much experience with different keyboards so not sure which ones fit what you're looking for best, but I can tell you that the term used for the 'acoustic piano feeling' is 'weighted keys', might help you with your search. Sorry I can't be of more help!
Old 17th September 2015
If you want weighted keys, guess what - the weight adds up. I would keep that piano you love, and ditch the other keyboards. 4 keyboards is not necessary.

I would get a little synth controller keyboard, probably an AKAI, and then all your sounds can come from modules or a sampler or a laptop. At least with the piano you will have an instrument if the midi stuff craps out.
Old 17th September 2015
Sky
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
If you want weighted keys, guess what - the weight adds up. I would keep that piano you love, and ditch the other keyboards. 4 keyboards is not necessary.

I would get a little synth controller keyboard, probably an AKAI, and then all your sounds can come from modules or a sampler or a laptop. At least with the piano you will have an instrument if the midi stuff craps out.
The lightest 88-key stage piano I'm aware of is the Yamaha MOXF8 at just under 33 pounds. Roland makes a compact stage piano RD64 with 64 weighted keys at roughly 28 pounds. If you really like your existing piano, these may come with trade offs without saving you much weight in the long run. I agree with Kiwi that your best approach may be to keep the piano you like and add a single lightweight MIDI Controller plus a laptop or possibly an iPad.

Sky
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search