The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ideas for ventilation of audio rack
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

Ideas for ventilation of audio rack

I've been working for several hours today in the studio and just went to make an adjustment on my mic pre and realized the front plate of it was so hot I could hardly touch it - burning hot. I immediately turned the whole rack off, of course...

I know I should probably have left empty spaces in my rack to aid in ventilation, but I really didn't have the space to do that unfortunately... Here's what's in this rack, rows numbered from top to bottom:

1. UA Apollo Duo Audio Interface
2. ART Pro Channel Mic Pre
3. Roland MVS1 Synth

Below this are patch bays... I know the ART mic pre is tube based, so it and the Apollo get really hot. I hope I haven't damaged either of these... I'm guessing I should separate the two units, yes? Move the ART to another rack where it can be on top?

I have another rack that also got pretty hot, but nothing quite as severe. This rack does have a few spaces in it so I could separate stuff:

1. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
2. DeltaLab Effectron II
3. Lexicon MPX 110
4. Vermona PH-16
5. Lexicon Alex

I also thought maybe I could install some cooling fans and install them on the side of the racks... Any other ideas or advice?
Old 15th September 2015
I know middle atlantic has some rack cooling systems that run rather quiet. You could check into those and see if any work for you. I personally found with the Apollo when I had one it didnt get all that hot on its own, but i'd keep it at least 1u away from anything that runs hot.
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Nut
First off, if it is unusually hot you should isolate the pre from the rest of the rack. You do not want to risk a fire over rack real estate. Call the manufacturer and determine if the unit typically runs hot. You may have a short circuit drawing excessive current. If you are comfortable that you are safe there, I'd just allow some extra space.
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Nut
One more thing, If the power cord is hot you likely have an issue.
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks, guys. I will try and figure out a way to get a 1u space between the mic pre and the Apollo. From what I've read on the UA forums, the Apollo units typically do run hot and cannot overheat themselves. But having the mic pre directly below is probably not a good idea. Will see if I can move some stuff around.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search