The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Doubling phantom power?
Old 15th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Doubling phantom power?

scenario...

Doing live sound and our board has global phantom. It runs on all channels when engaged.
We use phantom for some condenser/dynamics we just picked up but we also use a vocal harmony pedal which also has phantom.

The phantom from the board will not feed the mic when plugged into the harmony pedal. Understandable, I guess.

What we're wondering is... if we turn on the phantom at the pedal so the mic works, will it also receive the phantom from the board giving the mic a double dose of 48v? Or maybe toast a channel on the board?

What are your thoughts?

many thanks
Kel
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Head

Does your harmony pedal have a line output?

If it does, you won't need to run it into a mic-input which is where the 48v would be.

So if you used it this way, you can use the 48v on the mixer for other mics and the 48v on the pedal for just the one mic

Last edited by SeductiveNeptune; 16th September 2015 at 02:01 AM.. Reason: I was dumb
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

Just make sure the harmony pedal can accept phantom power from the mixer. I'm sure it won't pass phantom power. That would be expensive to add and redundant with the built in 48v.
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Maniac

I'll check on the line output. Guitar player has the pedal. If so, we could just run it to a line input instead of mic input and the 48v wouldn't matter, right?
Thanks for that, O' Seductive One.

And thanks O' Silent One, I'll do some googling on his pedal and make sure.

Thank you gentlemen.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search