The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sounds of nature: the roots of music?
Old 15th September 2015
Sounds of nature: the roots of music?

Esteemed moderator(s): if desired, please move this to whatever forum you deem appropriate

Quote:
"The brain is really a wet, sloppy drum machine," Horowitz says. "It's desperately seeking rhythms." Not only rhythm, but patterns in pitch too, that have a mathematical regularity that captures the brain's attention.

The sound of a familiar voice, for example, has its own set of rhythms and pitches. So do particular sounds in nature: birds, insects, rain. The Bayaka people, who live in the rain forest of Central Africa, incorporate the syncopation of falling rain into their music.
I've written a few times here about my personal musings on roots of music in our primordial past, the rhythms of nature, of moving water, of wind and weather, and, of course, of other animals, both predators and prey.

But while I was musing, some scientists were experimenting and analyzing and finding out some very interesting things about how human hearing developed and some of the implications for understanding how sound -- and music -- effect us.

This NPR piece -- there's an article transcript with sound clips or you can listen to the whole 7+ minute piece radio feature -- gives an overview of that research...

How Sound Shaped The Evolution Of Your Brain : Shots - Health News : NPR

Last edited by theblue1; 16th September 2015 at 12:40 AM..
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

Very good read.

Thanks.
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

Think the sound is very universal and it could be because we are made of stardust and the stars make sound , just like the sun the emit huge sound-waves within the core .

We can actually train the brain in hearing certain things that normally not be noticeable with normal persons . The people that can do this things are the blind people they have more developed capacity to isolate sound and hear things we normal can not .

Think with mixing could be the same , it is learning the brain when iq is needed or something is not good in the mix and take certain action to get it better.
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
... the rhythms of nature, of moving water, of wind and weather, and, of course, of other animals, both predators and prey
Old 16th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
[The Little Mermaid vid]

Last edited by theblue1; 16th September 2015 at 05:08 PM..
Old 16th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
I had to find the mono single version in my stream service, but when I did, it was that rainy fall in 5th grade when I was mooning over my first unrequited love.

Which somehow brought me here...

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search