The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Here's why I use Rode mics...
Old 15th September 2015
Gear Nut

Here's why I use Rode mics...

So I have some nice mics in my collection. But some of my go to workhorses are Rode mics. Not only do I find them great value and well built but their extended warranty support is second to none from my experience.

I use NT3's for indoor dialogue when filming. We have 3 of them and have had them for about 8 years. One stopped working the other month and I thought I'd send it back to Rode and they took a look and are sending a new mic out :-)

Just wanted to give them a shoutout for having great support.

There you go... Got that off my chest!
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

+1 Rode support is fantastic. They really do stand by their mics, even after many years and many owners, something other mic manufacturers could take a lesson from...
Old 15th September 2015
Yea. The SAE institute here in Adelaide uses alot of their microphones. My friend (a lecturer there) told me about their excellent service.
However, i compared the NT1a & NT2a to some of the other offerings in the same price range and they pale in comparison,
albeit only really noticeable when recording vocals.

If i'm a working engineer i'll probably have a few RODEs in the locker despite better microphones in my arsenal,
they're sort of the SM58s of Condenser microphones IMO
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

NT1a for vox practice. Very bright, cuts thru the mix, lets a vocalist hear "more me" to find both pitch and timing nuance. I've also used one in conjunction w an SM7b, planning to mult takes based on head/chest register, but I almost always end up using the takes from the 7b. That is a subjective thing, depending on both singer and producer's choice. Picked up two NT1a mics secondhand, around $100 each, money very well spent, imo.
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

Craig, great to hear praise for the NT3. An artist brought one in to a gig in 1999, I loved the sound so much I bought a pair the next day! Excellent on acoustic guitars and nearly any instrument. Someone online offered me one, and what with sales and such eventually I have five of them - have done entire bluegrass bands with NT3s on all the instruments. Clean, clear, rich and detailed!
I found a pair of M3s on sale when a local audio shop went out of business, and they are similar but with smaller diaphragm and a lo cut switch.

I do live sound mostly and use them liberally. Club where I work has C1000s but I never use them, I bring my Rodes instead.
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
Craig, great to hear praise for the NT3. An artist brought one in to a gig in 1999, I loved the sound so much I bought a pair the next day! Excellent on acoustic guitars and nearly any instrument. Someone online offered me one, and what with sales and such eventually I have five of them - have done entire bluegrass bands with NT3s on all the instruments. Clean, clear, rich and detailed!
I found a pair of M3s on sale when a local audio shop went out of business, and they are similar but with smaller diaphragm and a lo cut switch.

I do live sound mostly and use them liberally. Club where I work has C1000s but I never use them, I bring my Rodes instead.
Yeah - I find the NT3s are good workhorses for sure. I've got 3 original NT2s also. One of which I modded with a new capsule etc - They're great too. I agree that they may not be the 'best' mics in the world - or price range sometimes, but any mic that you can use daily for 8 years in some challenging situations that starts not to feel very well that you send back a get a new replacement is priceless in my book.

So here's the Rodes I own and some thoughts on them:

3 x Original NT2s - Still sound great. One with a C12 capsule now which is even nicer. Great flexibility polar patterns etc.
3 x NT3 - Used for everything but mostly film dialogue. Bullet proof and great sounding if a little peaky in the mids. I've used these on acoustic guitars too and they sound very detailed. A little bright for me on those though. I really like my Beyer M201s on ac guitars.
1 x NTG3 - Great, great, great. Much cheaper than the competition and every bit as good in my opinion. I've got the Rode blimp and boom pole which are great value too I find. Again years of use out of those too. The NTG3 has been going strong for about 5 years now.
1 x NT4 - I like this and use it for recording foley. Again great mic and built well.
1 x Rode Video Mic - Great DSLR mic. Doesn't get as much use now though.

I really wish Rode would bring out a small diaphragm hypercardioid mic to complete with the Sennhiser MKH50 etc for indoor dialogue. While I love the NT3s they could be a bit tighter on polar pattern at times and a little lighter too for long sessions on a pole. If Rode did this - or even a Hyper capsule for the NT55 that would be a winner in Film / TV in my humble opinion.

Last edited by Craig32768; 16th September 2015 at 12:52 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search