The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Choosing new setup...Stuck in the 90's
Old 15th September 2015
Here for the gear
Choosing new setup...Stuck in the 90's

Current set up for mixing and tracking: Mackie db8 mixer lightpiped to a Motu 2408 pcie to Mac Pro. Sequencing into Logic

Typical recording day is to track drums, congas, electric bass, synths and program live instruments into D.A.W.

Vocals: Tracked through neve 1073 and la2a, Neuman microphone

Typical set up Keys etc...Yamaha MO8 Keyboard controller, minimoog, jupter8, rhodes piano, prophet 5, Roland tr 808 909 and the list goes on.

The problem is that I want to upgrade and upgrade my signal path. I was thinking about purchasing an Orion Antelope or a UAD Apollo to replace my Motu 2408 and bypass my Mackie Mixer converters for a cleaner sound. I also wanted to purchase 2 API 3124 to replace the Mackie mixer to track drums bass and vocals and probably mix in the box.

1. I need advice on a strong signal chain to print into my DAW.
2. Should I invest in a console for tracking and mixing such as used Trident or equal instead of the (2) API 3124
3. Will mixing in the box give me a great sound....I"m just so confused
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

You have a great setup already....what is the problem you seek to fix? If you want strong maybe summing will help....Equinox is pretty incredible....
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

Unless you plan to purchase and use UAD plugins, I don't think you will add anything quality wise upgrading your MOTU. I do think eliminating the Mackie from your tracking chain will improve your signal quality.

But if you are used to using your Mackie for cue mixes, you may miss it. If you decide to go with the API preamps, you can always split the outputs, sending them to your MOTU for tracking, and to the Mackie line inputs for cue-mix monitoring.
Old 16th September 2015
Here for the gear
I was thinking of adding the Api 3124 to replace the mic pres of the Mackie to get better quality sound and to add an Apogee Symphony to replace the Motu sound card.
Old 16th September 2015
Here for the gear
Thanks in advance for all the help....I've been told that once I upgrade that the sound of my mixes will better.
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

If you are considering the Symphony system, and have a thunderbolt equipped computer, Take a look at the Ensemble 2. I replaced my symphony64 card with the Ensemble 2, and now have 24 i/o (using AD/DA16X off lightpipe). The pres in the Ensemble are very good, but more in a clear, uncolored way. It also has monitor control, 2 independent headphone outs for cue mixes and DI/reamp capability.
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageidiot View Post
You have a great setup already....what is the problem you seek to fix? If you want strong maybe summing will help....Equinox is pretty incredible....
I have to agree with Vintage on this one. Aside from reliability issues, those D8B's are supposed to be great desks. I did a record in the mid 90's on a D8B and it sounded pretty good. I wasn't the AE only co-produced but whatever, it came out nice. Actually got some airplay with that record. I was impressed by how fast the AE was flying around the D8B and for me that speaks volumes. They look pretty cool too with the right furniture.

I would spring for the API or a couple of colored outboard pres if the D8B has line inputs. If not you can always grab a 1224 and strap it on your PCI card. Or you could get something with digital outs and bypass the desk for "money" channels > straight into the 2408. I know this is just my opinion and everybody is going to mention the gear they wish they had in your place but all the Geoff Tanner gear is very tempting based on descriptions. Especially that new pre he just released. What's it called again?

Last edited by Funny Cat; 16th September 2015 at 05:55 PM..
Old 16th September 2015
I moved from 2408 mk3s to the new MOTU 16As and it made it big difference. The 2408s are kind of brittle sounding. Besides the 3124 you could get a lunchbox and fill it with CAPI (not affiliated with API) pres.
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA View Post
I moved from 2408 mk3s to the new MOTU 16As and it made it big difference. The 2408s are kind of brittle sounding. Besides the 3124 you could get a lunchbox and fill it with CAPI (not affiliated with API) pres.

OP is going in digital so the 2408 is not the issue here. I can't speak for the D8B pres to be honest. We used outboard pres on the record I did. From the opening post:

Quote:
Mackie db8 mixer lightpiped to a Motu 2408 pcie
Old 16th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
OP is going in digital so the 2408 is not the issue here. I can't speak for the D8B pres to be honest. We used outboard pres on the record I did. From the opening post:
Ahhhhh, need more coffee......
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search