The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Small Talkback Setup
Old 12th September 2015
Here for the gear

Small Talkback Setup

Hi Guys,
Newbie here w/ posting so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

I've been combing these threads for months on various topics and one thing that's still a question to me is in regards to talkback.

We're a very small post facility that's building an even smaller VO booth for VO only and i've been forever trying to figure out an easy solution to implement the talkback feature.

Perhaps i'm overthinking this, and probably am, but I'm looking for a very simple item to talk to somebody in the booth from the control room/edit bay. I've looked at a ton of different products that have so many features that we don't need and wouldn't use and wanted your opinion.

The gist is... w/ an apollo 8, we don't want to use the console app but want to just hold down a button in order to talk to the booth. That's all. I'm probably missing something that's right in front of my face but haven't quite put my finger on it.

We're also in the market for some sort of hybrid telephone device but haven't been able to find the two in one deal w/ talkback.

Anybody have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
Old 12th September 2015
Gear Addict

You could try a small recording mixer.
Mackie, Soundcraft, etc'.
You can run your apollo out to a few faders, with a talkback button that dims the monitors while you talk, all at a very low cost.

Alternatively grab a control room monitor like a Dangerous, Avocet, Control Station or Mackie Big Knob... they do all that stuff. There was a new desktop one quite reasonably priced in the new products forum just recently from memory

Old 12th September 2015
Lives for gear
At home, I just plug a mic in to one of the spare inputs on the interface, have a channel in the DAW for that input with the monitor audio button switched in and then just use the mute button on the channel during takes.
Old 12th September 2015
Push to talk intercoms are commodity items - not recording gear, but easy to find. Or build your own - really easy with little amp IC's. I would suggest simply have a small speaker in the vocal both (not a humming amp) and use a switch to send turn the speaker on and off. That means no hiss while the speaker is not engaged. Solid state amps can run open circuit - it will be fine. A boundry mic on the desk will pickup up your voice all around the room, with less room sound than other mics.
Old 12th September 2015
If for instance you got an ipod touch or iphone there is a free app called talkback, now you just plug the output to one spare channel and you have a pretty good talkback setup for free (providing you already got and ipod or iphone)
Old 12th September 2015
Lives for gear

If you don't require to be able to speak without the artist hearing what you're saying (which I never stopped hating as a musician) then a solution like this works every time for me:

- spare mic int spare mic input and route to artist phones.
- insert a (software) comp/limiter on that channel set to inf:1, fastest att/rel, no make-up gain.
- setup a channel with smpte or white noise that's only playing when the project's running and route that to a comp/limiter's key input.

Instant auto-on/off talkback. Helps a great deal in communication IMO, both for the talent as well as the control room people.

Herwig
Old 12th September 2015
Gear Nut

Old 13th September 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks guys and appreciate the feedback. Pretty good info here that has my wheels turning.

I'd like to note after reading input that we're not doing anything musically... it's only voice over for video and a very small room.

We're also trying to find wireless buttons so if a client comes in and sits on the couch, they have their own little remote to chime in to the VO.

As a side note, we'd also like to patch in the phone line for when clients are remote, they can talk on the phone and we can patch them into the booth w/ some sort of phone hybrid system but one step at a time i guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by original_min View Post
You could try a small recording mixer.
Mackie, Soundcraft, etc'.
You can run your apollo out to a few faders, with a talkback button that dims the monitors while you talk, all at a very low cost.

Alternatively grab a control room monitor like a Dangerous, Avocet, Control Station or Mackie Big Knob... they do all that stuff. There was a new desktop one quite reasonably priced in the new products forum just recently from memory

I actually have an old Mackie Onyx that's collecting dust that has the feature but the thing is massive. Was just trying to more or less get a very small button to chill on the console.

After your input and for the first time, I saw the PreSonus Monitor Station v2. This is about as big as i'd like to get and looks like it might work well! Almost perfect really.

I was reading the manual and it reads that it'll just 'pass-through' the monitors. So my brain was thinking (), perhaps I can just hook this up to the Apollo 8 to get talkback and also have a bigger knob to adjust the levels in the monitor room. But then one thinks... is this gonna screw w/ the sound or will it sound the same as if the monitors are hooked up directly. I, frankly, have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
At home, I just plug a mic in to one of the spare inputs on the interface, have a channel in the DAW for that input with the monitor audio button switched in and then just use the mute button on the channel during takes.
That's a great option and works well but I'm trying to find a piece of hardware that I can physically hit to talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Push to talk intercoms are commodity items - not recording gear, but easy to find. Or build your own - really easy with little amp IC's. I would suggest simply have a small speaker in the vocal both (not a humming amp) and use a switch to send turn the speaker on and off. That means no hiss while the speaker is not engaged. Solid state amps can run open circuit - it will be fine. A boundry mic on the desk will pickup up your voice all around the room, with less room sound than other mics.
This is great advice. I checked out the intercom thing but not sure how the phone interface would be able to tap into it. On the other hand, a boundry mic is really the sort of set up i'm looking for w/ a button there.

Thank you for the suggestion of having a small speaker in the booth and not some sort of self-powered speaker that would attach to the line out of our interface. Never even thought of that!!

How would one go about hooking up a little crap speaker for talkback whilst getting powered from the monitor room?

This is all going to be built from the ground up and have some time to decide. Perhaps I should wire in a 1/4" jack too. This isn't really my bag but trying to spearhead the operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Lu View Post
If for instance you got an ipod touch or iphone there is a free app called talkback, now you just plug the output to one spare channel and you have a pretty good talkback setup for free (providing you already got and ipod or iphone)
This is awesome too, thank you for the advice. I downloaded the app today and seems pretty cool. Still on the fence w/ how to bring in a client on the phone call w/ this set-up. It's probably pretty easy but going over my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
If you don't require to be able to speak without the artist hearing what you're saying (which I never stopped hating as a musician) then a solution like this works every time for me:

- spare mic int spare mic input and route to artist phones.
- insert a (software) comp/limiter on that channel set to inf:1, fastest att/rel, no make-up gain.
- setup a channel with smpte or white noise that's only playing when the project's running and route that to a comp/limiter's key input.

Instant auto-on/off talkback. Helps a great deal in communication IMO, both for the talent as well as the control room people.
Unfortunately, that's the whole idea here. The artist doesn't need to hear themselves but maybe some client who's calling in on the phone trying to direct the VO wants to. And then, when we send them the uncut VO's... they'll also have the talkbalk convo in the recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuvanh25 View Post
<insert funny picture>
Got a kick outta that.
Old 13th September 2015
Lives for gear

I have a UFX interface and plug into input#1 an Audio Technica U857Q podium mic with an AT8666RSP base that has a talk button. The talk back function is in the head phone circut only and is not a part of the active recording chain. This is by far the best system I have ever used and is another reason I am a devoted RME customer.Their equipment is bullet proof!
Old 15th September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
I have a UFX interface and plug into input#1 an Audio Technica U857Q podium mic with an AT8666RSP base that has a talk button. The talk back function is in the head phone circut only and is not a part of the active recording chain. This is by far the best system I have ever used and is another reason I am a devoted RME customer.Their equipment is bullet proof!
Nice, I was actually on the fence as to buying the UFX vs UA but ended up w/ UA. It's hot and cold for me. I don't quite have the ear to hear what others do although i'm putting in the hour and have learned a lot over the past year.

Does anybody have the "talk back 600 MV"? I spoke w/ a rep today and they said it's gone for good but are talking to ClearCom to make a card for the Pro series that will give it all the ClearCom functionality.

So one would think... this product is end of life and there seems to be nothing like it on the market unless you get something like the d-box, big knob built in type thing.

What's the deal w/ Twoque? twocue - Do You 2Cue?

Not quite sure what this is but will call them in the morning and see if it plays nicely w/ UA. I'm thinking not.
Old 15th September 2015
Here for the gear

Decided

Thanks for the all the replies gang. I ended up buying the "talk back 600 MV" off of Ebay. The IR remotes were exactly what I was looking for.

If anybody is interested, I can post back w/ how the thing works.

cheers
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Addict

That looks awesome, congrats.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search