The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tube for Hammer EQ Studio Headphones
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Tube for Hammer EQ

Hi, time to get tubes for my Hammer. Any ideas or recommendations ? It is a 12AT7 pair... thanks in advance
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

I replaced the tubes in my Hammer last year. I opted for some GE new old-stocks from TubeDepot.com I paid about $120 or so for the pair. I just checked and didn't see them. So far, very good results! Pretty much noiseless and still going strong after a lot of use!
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacalait View Post
I replaced the tubes in my Hammer last year. I opted for some GE new old-stocks from TubeDepot.com I paid about $120 or so for the pair. I just checked and didn't see them. So far, very good results! Pretty much noiseless and still going strong after a lot of use!
thx, why did you replaced them? where they burnt out? just looking for improvement? did it improve the sound? Mine´s power supply blew out. It´s been repaired.
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Sacalait - did you make the replacement yourself ? If so - did you have an "official" alignment/calibration procedure at hand ?
The two channels of my hammer are so off that I have to do something about it but I also have great respect for the high voltages in tube-circuits.
Hope this isn´t too much off topic.
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helge View Post
Hi Sacalait - did you make the replacement yourself ? If so - did you have an "official" alignment/calibration procedure at hand ?
The two channels of my hammer are so off that I have to do something about it but I also have great respect for the high voltages in tube-circuits.
Hope this isn´t too much off topic.
Not at all. Mine was (because the power supply burnt and i am waiting for the fixed unit) also very off. When used in stereo applications i had to tone match. Love the sound of this eq, and maybe with matched tubes it behaves closer between channels...
Old 13th September 2015
Lives for gear

I replaced them myself. There was some low-level noise I was hearing so I decided to replace them. The tubes I chose were pretty pricey- I think $100 or more for the pair. It's been about two years ago so they've done well. I use the Hammer almost every day.
Old 13th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansest View Post
Hi, time to get tubes for my Hammer. Any ideas or recommendations ? It is a 12AT7 pair... thanks in advance
12at7 I like are the rca orange letter ones 6201/12at7 black plates. the 12at7wa is good to and if you can find them the rca 12at7 clear top (side ways getter)

a matched pair of nos will set you back $80-$120 for the set
Old 21st September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I replaced them myself. There was some low-level noise I was hearing so I decided to replace them. The tubes I chose were pretty pricey- I think $100 or more for the pair. It's been about two years ago so they've done well. I use the Hammer almost every day.
which tubes did you get? I allready bought NOS Mullards... They´ll arrive soon...
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear

you'll be good. I bought some NOS GE tubes.
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Is there any trim option inside the unit to allign the two channels after swapping the tubes ?

A-Designs is - let me put this diplomatically - a bit "special" about pics from the inside of the hammer eq and there´s nothing in the manual about an allignement proceedure...thank you guys.
Old 28th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I allready bought NOS Mullards... They´ll arrive soon...
Hi Hansest,

did you get your unit back and made the tube swap ?
Curious about the outcome!
Old 28th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Hansest,

Hi, not yet!! my tech is waiting for some parts! this is killing me as i´m starting the mix of a whole album and i love my hammer on vocals, i´m starting with the only instrumental song of the record, hopefully next week! Original tubes are in working condition so, i think i will first hear it with original tubes, and then swap, to compare... i´ll come back and report
Old 28th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Hansest,

btw, i have the tubes waiting alongside with me
Old 28th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi, not yet!! my tech is waiting for some parts! this is killing me as i´m starting the mix of a whole album and i love my hammer on vocals, i´m starting with the only instrumental song of the record, hopefully next week! Original tubes are in working condition so, i think i will first hear it with original tubes, and then swap, to compare... i´ll come back and report
Thanks Hansest - I sure hope you get it back in time for the album-mix!
Old 2nd April 2016
Lives for gear

Ok - I finally brought my unit to my go to, favorite tube-tech of choice and it turned out that the tubes are in perfect condition - he said this stock set of philips 12AT7 was remarkably close matched and good sounding.
The drift between left and right channel was kinda ridiculous though (4dB in bypass(!) and even more when activated) but there are little trimpots inside and it was a little tricky/finicky to match due to the little offset between pot-postion and print-markings on the faceplate.
Could be that calibration once a year is necessary...we´ll see.
Glad I didn´t have to buy new tubes cause I really love the way this EQ sounds even though there may be better tubes out there.
Hope this helps some hammer owners...
Old 2nd April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok - I finally brought my unit to my go to, favorite tube-tech of choice and it turned out that the tubes are in perfect condition - he said this stock set of philips 12AT7 was remarkably close matched and good sounding.
The drift between left and right channel was kinda ridiculous though (4dB in bypass(!) and even more when activated) but there are little trimpots inside and it was a little tricky/finicky to match due to the little offset between pot-postion and print-markings on the faceplate.
Could be that calibration once a year is necessary...we´ll see.
Glad I didn´t have to buy new tubes cause I really love the way this EQ sounds even though there may be better tubes out there.
Hope this helps some hammer owners...
yes my hammer´s both channels are way off… how did calibration helped? i think i am going to ask my tech to come over with tone generator and oscilloscope and help me calib mine (no charge)
Old 2nd April 2016
Lives for gear

and the stock tubes stayed… they where in good condition… the replacement will be used later…
Old 2nd April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes my hammer´s both channels are way off… how did calibration helped? i think i am going to ask my tech to come over with tone generator and oscilloscope and help me calib mine (no charge)
Yep - get your tech in and just do it...back to unity in bypass and activated in minutes
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search