The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AKG 414 vs Neumann u87 vs AT 4050
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear
The U87 classic (Not AI)
414EB w/ copper cap (Nothing current)

Are the two mic's of fame. Both are a step up from the 4040. Both stopped being made over 20 years ago. Newer version of Neumann are very close. Newever version of AKG are crap (IMHO)

If you are in the market for your first great vocal mic, I have two suggestions
Both from advanced Aduio.

CM414. clone of 414-EB
CM67se. Design similar to the U67, the tube big brother of the U87.

The 414 is a great balance of close and far away work. Can be used for both vocals and overheads. The 67/87 like to be a tad closer to the source than a 414.

Another options to be aware of is get a U67FET, and an innner tube mod.
Neumann cap in a tube mic on a budget.
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Guru

I recorded a country western band with a B414 ULS at distance and we balanced the audio by telling the musicians to turn up or down. I was pretty darn impressed with what I heard.

I've seen a few 414 in front of classical or jazz ensembles in my day as well, back before I knew what the heck was really going on.
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Those are huge variations in price. I've used the 414 and the U87. I've also used Audio Technica "stuff", but probably not the 4050.

The Warm Audio WA 47 has many patterns including omni. I've found the vintage U47 with the VF14 tube to be a wonderful mic. So I'm interested in demoing the WA 47 mic one day. It is under $1000. It's not on your radar, but probably deserves to be.

The Schoeps omni (MK2 capsule) is outstanding if you are interested in SDC... even the wooden box says "this is awesome!". The MK4 capsule is great too. Since you mentioned U87, that puts you in the price category of the DPA 4006 omni. Like the Schoeps MK2, the 4006 is a world-class SDC omni.

I find the 414 (no matter what version) to be waaaaay too edgy for my voice. I've heard great drum overheads and room mics done with the 414.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Schoeps MK2 and MK4 as well as DPA 4006 are great but more "edgy" than 414 B-ULS in general.
But perhaps not on your voice.
There is a big difference bettween the 414 B-XLS/B-XLii (from 2004), the XLS/XLii (from 2009) and B-ULS.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search