The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler Mini Rack Mixer vs. Dangerous DBox Summing Summing Mixers
Old 28th August 2015
Here for the gear

Chandler Mini Rack Mixer vs. Dangerous DBox Summing

Hey all,

I currently have a Dangerous DBox and am considering the Chandler Limited Mini Rack Mixer after reading many great reviews. Does anyone have experience with both? I know the Chandler summing is going to sound better but is it better enough to justify the additional cost?

Thanks.
Old 3rd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druummer View Post
Hey all,

I currently have a Dangerous DBox and am considering the Chandler Limited Mini Rack Mixer after reading many great reviews. Does anyone have experience with both? I know the Chandler summing is going to sound better but is it better enough to justify the additional cost?

Thanks.

The Chandler Limited Mini Rack Mixer is basically going to give you the weight and dimension of a large format analog console in 5 rack spaces, however with about +28db of headroom. Part of the beefy sound is due to its 22 transformers, and 20 amplifiers. The sound stage is both deep and wide.

As far as "summing", you're getting more with 16 channels (Expandable to 32), and the panning ability; the center switch which bypasses the pan is great too. You can also must channels by pulling the level control. Speaking of the level control, unity is fully clockwise.

On the control/master section side you can inject a chain on your 2 bus using the external in. Talkback, DIM, Mute and Mono (my fav) are present too. You have two monitor outs (selectable) and two stereo outs.

My signal is to send out of one of the stereo outs to my 2 bus chain and onto two tracks on my system (mix down). I then return the two tracks back into the Mini Rack Mixer via the "External In" (button pressed) and monitor from there.

I do work with Chandler, so I'm biased.

Last edited by adam_f; 12th January 2016 at 06:38 AM..
Old 4th September 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks for responding with the detailed post tubehead! Do you know how that +28db of headroom compares to the dbox or 2-bus? Been looking for stats on that and can't seem to find them. Also, can you automate panning and volume with the chandler like the dbox? Forgive my noobness here I don't have much knowledge about analog summers.

Thanks!
Old 4th September 2015
Quote:
Thanks for responding with the detailed post tubehead! Do you know how that +28db of headroom compares to the dbox or 2-bus? Been looking for stats on that and can't seem to find them. Also, can you automate panning and volume with the chandler like the dbox? Forgive my noobness here I don't have much knowledge about analog summers.

Thanks!
Any D-Box automation you've read or heard about is happening in the DAW.

The D-Box has ample headroom, I would not make a decision based on that spec.
Old 4th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks!
Any automation you'd be doing happens in your DAW. I believe Dangerous has stats on their website.
Old 6th October 2015
Lives for gear

Is the coulour provided by the Chandler Mini mixer is really obvious and noticeable?
Thanks for your help
Regards
Old 7th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Is the coulour provided by the Chandler Mini mixer is really obvious and noticeable?
Thanks for your help
Regards
Yes. You have to separate the Chandler Limited Mini Rack Mixer from a typical summing device... This really is like having the sound of 450 lbs. console in 5 rack spaces- 20 line amps with 22 transformers, and plenty of headroom.
Old 7th October 2015
Lives for gear
Curious

Can the chandler mini mixer ultimately replace say the dbox or crane song advocet for monitoring purposes? If I could sell the advocet and my current summer I could justify the cost. I currently monitor out of my antelope via spdif to the advocet on a set of focal solo 6be's and a set of auratones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubehead View Post
Yes. You have to separate the Chandler Limited Mini Rack Mixer from a typical summing device... This really is like having the sound of 450 lbs. console in 5 rack spaces- 20 line amps with 22 transformers, and plenty of headroom.
Old 7th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
Can the chandler mini mixer ultimately replace say the dbox or crane song advocet for monitoring purposes? If I could sell the advocet and my current summer I could justify the cost. I currently monitor out of my antelope via spdif to the advocet on a set of focal solo 6be's and a set of auratones.
Hi Staxx,

It really all comes down to workflow, and how you interface from your DAW.

First and foremost, the Chandler Limited Mini Rack Mixer is a fully analog device, no digital inputs or outputs. It's is built in the old way, by hand and using all through-hole components; there's no surface mount components or anything you'd find in your laptop or cellphone inside there. Think analog mixer, not digital monitoring device with conversion and all that entails.

Features first, then my workflow/connectivity

I/O
  • 16 transformer balanced line inputs
  • Stereo outputs available via Stereo outs 1 or 2, and Control Room outs 1 or 2
  • 1 Stereo External Input (used to insert a mix bus chain - comp, EQ etc..)
  • 1 TRS expansion bucket jack (add 16 more channels for a total of 32 line ins)
  • Talkback MIC input (front panel)

MASTER SECTION FEATURES
  • VU METERS
  • Stereo Out
  • Control Room Out
  • Speaker 1/2 select (selects between Control RM outs 1 or 2)
  • EXT. IN (engaging this injects the external input source onto the bus)
  • MUTE
  • DIM
  • MONO
  • Buss/Talkback (1/4 TB MIC input jack, TB button, TB Volume control

CHANNEL INPUTS
  • PAN
  • Center switch (removes pan pot from the chain, centering the input source)
  • LEVEL (this acts like a fader on console - fully clockwise is unity gain)

WORKFLOW CONNECTIVITY

DAW Analog I/O (mine is RADAR)
  • 16 analog outputs into Mini Rack Mixer channel inputs[/INDENT][INDENT]
  • Inserting outboard gear on individual channels is easy, out of DAW/RADAR into processor/s of choice then into Mini Rack Mixer channel
  • Parallel/subgroup processing: separate bus out of DAW/RADAR into X Chain, into two channels on Mini Rack Mixer

MASTER ROUTING
  • Stereo Output 1 to MIX Bus Chain (Zener Limiter -> Curve Bender)
  • Output of MIX BUS chain into DAW/RADAR channels 23/24
  • Channel 23/24 outputs from DAW/RADAR return to Mini Rack Mixer EXT. Input and are monitored via Control Room Outputs 1.
  • Headphones are connected to Control Room Outputs 2, switching the Speaker 1/2 button flips between Monitors and headset amp.

Last edited by adam_f; 7th October 2015 at 08:15 PM..
Old 8th October 2015
Lives for gear
Sick!!!!

That's a sick setup!!! I was trying to justify such a purchase by replacing a few other pieces. My current summing box is pretty clean. I have a QES Labs Variable Gm on the way to cover mix buss duties. I think that box is going to inject some major mojo into my mixes.

Quote:
Hi Staxx,

It really all comes down to workflow, and how you interface from your DAW.

First and foremost, the Chandler Limited Mini Rack Mixer is a fully analog device, no digital inputs or outputs. It's is built in the old way, by hand and using all through-hole components; there's no surface mount components or anything you'd find in your laptop or cellphone inside there. Think analog mixer, not digital monitoring device with conversion and all that entails.

Features first, then my workflow/connectivity

I/O
  • 16 transformer balanced line inputs
  • Stereo outputs available via Stereo outs 1 or 2, and Control Room outs 1 or 2
  • 1 Stereo External Input (used to insert a mix bus chain - comp, EQ etc..)
  • 1 TRS expansion bucket jack (add 16 more channels for a total of 32 line ins)
  • Talkback MIC input (front panel)

MASTER SECTION FEATURES
  • VU METERS
  • Stereo Out
  • Control Room Out
  • Speaker 1/2 select (selects between Control RM outs 1 or 2)
  • EXT. IN (engaging this injects the external input source onto the bus)
  • MUTE
  • DIM
  • MONO
  • Buss/Talkback (1/4 TB MIC input jack, TB button, TB Volume control

CHANNEL INPUTS
  • PAN
  • Center switch (removes pan pot from the chain, centering the input source)
  • LEVEL (this acts like a fader on console - fully clockwise is unity gain)

WORKFLOW CONNECTIVITY

DAW Analog I/O (mine is RADAR)
  • 16 analog outputs into Mini Rack Mixer channel inputs[/INDENT][INDENT]
  • Inserting outboard gear on individual channels is easy, out of DAW/RADAR into processor/s of choice then into Mini Rack Mixer channel
  • Parallel/subgroup processing: separate bus out of DAW/RADAR into X Chain, into two channels on Mini Rack Mixer

MASTER ROUTING
  • Stereo Output 1 to MIX Bus Chain (Zener Limiter -> Curve Bender)
  • Output of MIX BUS chain into DAW/RADAR channels 23/24
  • Channel 23/24 outputs from DAW/RADAR return to Mini Rack Mixer EXT. Input and are monitored via Control Room Outputs 1.
  • Headphones are connected to Control Room Outputs 2, switching the Speaker 1/2 button flips between Monitors and headset amp.
Old 8th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Chandler Limited Mini Rack Mixer is basically going to give you the weight and dimension of a large format analog console in 5 rack spaces, however with about +28db of headroom. Part of the beefy sound is due to its 22 transformers, and 20 amplifiers. The sound stage is both deep and wide.
Quote:
I have wanted a chandler limited mini rack mixer for a while now and recently been really considering it. I have pondered selling some outboard:
Vintech 473, Tonelux OTB16, Germanium Pre, Focusrite 430, and maybe my Peavey tube/valve comp. I'm thinking I will get more milage out of the chandler, over all, and wouldn't miss that outboard much. I would still have plenty more comps preamps and eqs to use. I really need to spend some serious time with one being it's a pretty big purchase. I wonder if I could get someone to run some files through one just to compare to the OTB16 & ITB files.
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
I have wanted a chandler limited mini rack mixer for a while now and recently been really considering it. I have pondered selling some outboard:
Vintech 473, Tonelux OTB16, Germanium Pre, Focusrite 430, and maybe my Peavey tube/valve comp. I'm thinking I will get more milage out of the chandler, over all, and wouldn't miss that outboard much. I would still have plenty more comps preamps and eqs to use. I really need to spend some serious time with one being it's a pretty big purchase. I wonder if I could get someone to run some files through one just to compare to the OTB16 & ITB files.
yes I 'd like to listen to that comparaison too

Last edited by sergioelectro; 10th October 2015 at 02:17 AM..
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's a sick setup!!! I was trying to justify such a purchase by replacing a few other pieces. My current summing box is pretty clean. I have a QES Labs Variable Gm on the way to cover mix buss duties. I think that box is going to inject some major mojo into my mixes.
Please do a review and share clips when the QES comes in.
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also consider a pair or Chandler Limited REDD.47s on the mix bus...
Old 10th October 2015
Lives for gear
Samples....

I got you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz View Post
Please do a review and share clips when the QES comes in.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search