The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
any info on The Weeknd and his 80's renaissance music? Dynamics Plugins
Old 25th August 2015
Lives for gear

any info on The Weeknd and his 80's renaissance music?

EDIT: album is out: https://open.spotify.com/album/76d19T9g8PZhB6m1GEH2J0
Beauty Behind the Madness, let me tell you that this is the best 80's renaissance album since... well, since his last album, Kiss Land

as David Letterman pointed out in the end of this performance: "Phil Collins, am I right?"

Well, that was Kiss Land, an ambitious progressive and experimental album with it's core on the 80's synth pop and alternative music, loaded with Linn Drums and scary synths but lead by the best R&B voice around in a while. (Mixed by Manny Marroquin, sounds amazing)

Now comes Beauty Behind the Madness, which is still based on a lot of 80's sounds but more commercial and pop sounding record. Other than the obvious lead single Can't Feel My Face, which is an obvious nod at the king (to which The Weeknd is continuously being compared to), take the song As You Are, for example, which sounds like a Michael Jackson song produced by Phil Collins. Or the soon-to-be single In The Night, which again sounds like it could've been a lead single from Michael's Bad or Dangerous era.

My question is, like the Dangerous thread, anyone here worked with this young man? He has been produced by the likes of Danny Boy Styles, and more recently Max Martin.

Last edited by sfilipee; 29th August 2015 at 01:45 PM..
Old 29th August 2015
Lives for gear

overwhelming response! hah

the album is out now, maybe the thread will get busier after y'all listen to it

https://open.spotify.com/album/76d19T9g8PZhB6m1GEH2J0

(Standout tracks imo: As You Are, In The Night, Losers, Angel, Prisoner.)
Old 29th August 2015
Lives for gear

It's all good in Hell's Kitchen!!

I'm sure Weeknd will get even better as time moves on.
I like what I've heard so far and will check their latest offerings later.

Peace,
HW
Old 29th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
It's all good in Hell's Kitchen!!

I'm sure Weeknd will get even better as time moves on.
I like what I've heard so far and will check their latest offerings later.

Peace,
HW
I don't if I got the first sentence

But yes, I think The Weeknd has the potential to be the artist that we haven't seen in a while. I mean, 5 critically acclaimed albums in 4 years? Let's see how he turns out! This new album is all over the place, almost seems like a "hey, look at all that I can do" album, but it's still amazing

Really wondering if someone here engineered on it,

Last edited by sfilipee; 29th August 2015 at 02:57 PM..
Old 29th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfilipee View Post
I don't if I got the first sentence .
My neighborhood is called Hell's Kitchen.
Old 29th August 2015
Lives for gear

I don't hear much 80s in the video you linked to, sounds like everything else nowadays.
Old 29th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
I don't hear much 80s in the video you linked to, sounds like everything else nowadays.
Eh, it even has a section with those 80's/Phil Collins gated reverb drums.

David Letterman even said it in the end of the performance

another example from the new album https://open.spotify.com/track/5hmO72DpMfddRFBbVdPoEX (really interested in the drums on this song man)

Last edited by sfilipee; 29th August 2015 at 05:28 PM..
Old 30th August 2015
Lives for gear

I dig some of his stuff, great voice too. I'll ask.around...
Old 30th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageidiot View Post
I dig some of his stuff, great voice too. I'll ask.around...
If you check the R&B top 10 he has the entire chart for him. Something that has never happened before.

Just read a New York Times article on him and he turned down a bunch of Max Martin songs and made him and his team work for him from scratch, Max Martin said that has not happened to him since the 90's

It's quite amazing to witness something like this in this day and age, specially from someone who just a few years ago was sampling Siouxsie and The Banshees or Cocteau Twins and making multiple 7-9 minute r&b drugged out epics
Old 1st September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfilipee View Post
If you check the R&B top 10 he has the entire chart for him. Something that has never happened before.

Just read a New York Times article on him and he turned down a bunch of Max Martin songs and made him and his team work for him from scratch, Max Martin said that has not happened to him since the 90's

It's quite amazing to witness something like this in this day and age, specially from someone who just a few years ago was sampling Siouxsie and The Banshees or Cocteau Twins and making multiple 7-9 minute r&b drugged out epics
Which chart? He has two slots on the Billboard RnB top 10.

Very talented guy, I think he's great!
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

bumping this thread because the album is available on youtube. and i thought about leaving a great example of what the thread is about

that snare on the chorus, the bass...

if Michael had ever hopped on a Both Sides era Phil Collins production. haha
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search