The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Trident 65 direct outs
Old 23rd August 2015
Gear Nut
Trident 65 direct outs

Does anyone know if the direct outs on the Trident 65 are balanced or unbalanced?
Old 24th August 2015
Lives for gear

I believe they're balanced. At least I think they were on mine. A quick way to find out, without taking it apart, is to slowly put a mono 1/4" jack into one and if you can feel it click twice as it gets to the end of the jack, it's balanced. One click is unbalanced.

Last edited by voodoo4u; 24th August 2015 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 24th August 2015
Gear Nut
Thanks for the help. Anyone know where I can find a copy of the manual? I don't have access to the board at the moment as it is in storage, and I really need to know definitively if the direct outs are unbalanced or balanced. Thanks in advance.
Old 24th August 2015
Lives for gear

The direct outputs on the Trident 65 are UNBALANCED.
Just like the insert sends and returns.

If you join the Trident forum on groups.yahoo.com you may find schematics.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TridentAudio/info
For access to files you need to become a forum member.

Last edited by Studerfreak; 24th August 2015 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: correction yahoo
Old 24th August 2015
Lives for gear

For future reference !
Attached Thumbnails
Trident 65 direct outs-backpanel.jpg  
Old 24th August 2015
Gear Nut
Thanks so much guys!!!
Old 24th August 2015
Unbalanced with a direct feed to the jack. It will NOT drive any load below 2k ohms, 600 ohm gear is a no-no. That prevents all your transformer coupled gear from being used in the inserts too.

Add a 100 ohm resistor in series with the direct output feed and you will stop the oscillations and THD driving longer cables. Use a better opamp and they will drive 600 ohm transformer outboard well.
Old 25th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Unbalanced with a direct feed to the jack. It will NOT drive any load below 2k ohms, 600 ohm gear is a no-no. That prevents all your transformer coupled gear from being used in the inserts too.

Add a 100 ohm resistor in series with the direct output feed and you will stop the oscillations and THD driving longer cables. Use a better opamp and they will drive 600 ohm transformer outboard well.
The direct outs do drive my tape recorder with transformer coupled inputs through a 10 meters snake without any noise or problems (at least none that I can hear).
Old 25th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Luminous View Post
The direct outs do drive my tape recorder with transformer coupled inputs through a 10 meters snake without any noise or problems (at least none that I can hear).
You may want to measure the voltage drop from the 071 opamps driving that load. If it is 600 ohms it may also increase THD significantly. Run a square wave and see the ringing/overshoot from the opamp.

The 65 can output a max of +21 dbu from the unbalanced direct outputs. Feed ing a 600 ohm load will also reduce headroom as you will loose a couple of db's in level.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search