The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Next Upgrade for my Home Studio Digital Converters
Old 20th August 2015
Here for the gear

Next Upgrade for my Home Studio

Hello,

I started out recording on a free program about 8 years ago. Over the years I did research on equipment. I currently have Pro Tools 10 LE, an iMac, a bluebird mic that runs into a PreSonus Studio Channel which routes to a Avalon 737sp then in to a Digi 003 rack. I record hip-hop/rap music. I actually have three questions; two of them being simple answers:

-Should I keep the Studio Channel in the vocal chain?

-Should I used -10 or +4 on the 003?

-I want an upgrade but not sure which should be first. If you would like, feel free to number from most to least important

[Apogee Rosetta 200, Neumann U87, Big Ben Clock, pro tools HD]
Old 20th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Go for the mic
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear

Yea, get the mic first, then the interface.
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear

Hate to lean on the opinions of others, but when I asked a wise man (Bob Ohlsson) the same thing many moons ago he said "interface first, it's the backbone of everything you do." It has worked for me.

I like Bob. He's like the Buddha and Santa Claus rolled in some old school snark.
Old 21st August 2015
Gear Nut

Presonus is the weakest link. I would just plug the Blue Bird directly to the 737. Run everything at +4.

Start with the u87 for the upgrade. I'm not the biggest fan of the avalon for vocals, and tons of engineers on this very site hate it, but platinum selling artists use it all the time (Beyonce, Pharrell, e.g.) so you should able to get a decent sound.

The convertors in the 003 are decent enough, so maybe look into upgrading your Monitors and/or acoustic treatment for your room, as that would have a bigger impact on your sound
Old 21st August 2015
I'm confused as to why you have the Studio Channel in the chain to begin with - seems redundant, especially since they're both tube pres.

U87 and Avalon 737 is a great vocal chain, I've actually done the exact same thing you're talking about: U87/Avalon/Digi003. Very clean and very detailed. I don't think upgrading the converters will give you as big a difference as upgrading the mic.

(Although I've never heard the Bluebird)
Old 22nd August 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocharlas View Post
I'm confused as to why you have the Studio Channel in the chain to begin with - seems redundant, especially since they're both tube pres.

U87 and Avalon 737 is a great vocal chain, I've actually done the exact same thing you're talking about: U87/Avalon/Digi003. Very clean and very detailed. I don't think upgrading the converters will give you as big a difference as upgrading the mic.

(Although I've never heard the Bluebird)
I had the Studio Channel thinking I would use the compressor on both before going in. I assumed maybe the Studio Channel wasnt making a difference and possibly affecting the sound. I think I'll start with the mic since I would wanna get a mac pro to run pro tools HD thru.

Thank you everyone for your response! It is greatly appreciated.
Old 24th August 2015
Gear Nut

Work from the outside of your signal chain inward - meaning invest more into your microphones and monitors so as these represent the beginning and end of your signal chain. Everything in the middle - especially with the integration of preamps into audio interfaces with DSP solutions (e.g. UAD Apollo) is going to be upgraded more frequently then high quality microphones and monitors. Keep your studio as modular as you can so each element in your signal chain can carry on into progressive generations of your studio.
Old 24th August 2015
Gear Guru

Interface and microphone are both hugely important IMO. Forget about the clock completely, that's not something that's really needed until you've got tons of stuff you need to sync. You should be well off enough regarding microphone preamps with your Avalon. Good DAW software is pretty important for workflow and ease of use, but not so much for sonic quality.
Old 26th August 2015
Gear Head

Definitely mic first, then front end.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search