The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording A Mini Moog / Juno 106 with Logic Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 15th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Recording A Mini Moog / Juno 106 with Logic

Hi All !
Going to be getting a mini moog and a roland juno 106 soon.
My setup:
Logic on a Mac (technically a "Hackintosh")
FocusRite Scarlett interface (the one with 2 inputs)

Do these synths track best with certain interfaces? cables?

Or if the focus rite is doing a good job tracking my digital synths and bass/gtrs then it should be fine with analog synths?

Do various analog synths need to be treated with subtle eq/compression to sound good with a DAW? or basically if I like the "raw" sound of a certain preset than it can be untreated and sound fine?

Thanks in advance!
Old 15th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyFan View Post
Hi All !

Or if the focus rite is doing a good job tracking my digital synths and bass/gtrs then it should be fine with analog synths?
Your focusrite isn't doing anything when you record digital synths except providing you monitoring. That's it. The focusrite is just a headphone/speaker monitor controller at that point.

Your focusrite should be just fine recording analog synths. If you like the sound of the patch it should be very close once it is recorded.
Old 15th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyFan View Post
Hi All !
Going to be getting a mini moog and a roland juno 106 soon.
My setup:
Logic on a Mac (technically a "Hackintosh")
FocusRite Scarlett interface (the one with 2 inputs)

Do these synths track best with certain interfaces? cables?

Do various analog synths need to be treated with subtle eq/compression to sound good with a DAW? or basically if I like the "raw" sound of a certain preset than it can be untreated and sound fine?

Thanks in advance!
if you use cheap interface with a great hardware synth it's not going to sound any better than they plugin version of the synth. If fact the plugin will prolly sound better
Old 15th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainrule View Post
if you use cheap interface with a great hardware synth it's not going to sound any better than they plugin version of the synth. If fact the plugin will prolly sound better
Thanks.. so what are some interfaces that would capture those synths real good?

The focusrite scarlett isn't a good one I take it?
Old 15th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by couch11 View Post
Your focusrite isn't doing anything when you record digital synths except providing you monitoring. That's it. The focusrite is just a headphone/speaker monitor controller at that point.

Your focusrite should be just fine recording analog synths. If you like the sound of the patch it should be very close once it is recorded.
Thanks.. maybe a misunderstanding. I have a Yamaha motif es 8 that I run through there as pure audio..that's what I mean by digital.. the motif

Btw - do analog synths in daws usually blend well with "non vintage drum machines" drum sounds? be it a linn vst etc.

in other words - does it get tricky when half your instruments are the "real thing" analog and half are "fake analog"
Old 15th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Which interfaces are considered optimal for recording analog synths?

which preamp if any is best?
Old 15th August 2015
Lives for gear

If your'e happy with the way the Scarlett sounds with your Motif and other instruments you record, it will be fine. You will get the same results with analog synths.
It could be something you might want to upgrade in the future, along with adding an external pre amp, but it is not absolutely necessary. Then it really depends on your budget, as there is a vast amount of choices. There is also plenty of threads here already on interfaces and pre amps if you want to do some research.

I also record analog synths, digital synths and plugin synths. When it comes to treatment, eq, fx, I don't really have any set rules for each, just whatever suits each individual sound.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search