The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need a 4-8 Channel Preamp Opinions Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 21st August 2015
Also been thinking of going lunchbox route .... any word on the neve 511
Old 21st August 2015
Gear Nut
It's cheap, it has silk, and it's a Neve. Some like it, some don't have it as an exclusive pre, but most comment that it's a great value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbed View Post
Also been thinking of going lunchbox route .... any word on the neve 511
Old 21st August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by dovin2 View Post
It's cheap, it has silk, and it's a Neve. Some like it, some don't have it as an exclusive pre, but most comment that it's a great value.
Ya I've heard it's great value. I'm kinda leaning towards a lunchbox setup of like 6 to 8 cool pres. One question I'm pondering is good pair of pres for drum overheads. Any opinions on 511 or even warm audio in that price range?
Old 21st August 2015
I've been drooling over at vintage king audio.. also there 6 slot vka 500 lunchbox looks solid.
Old 22nd August 2015
Gear Nut
I have a pair of WA12 - 500's and an API 600-B for sale here on GS...just sayin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbed View Post
I've been drooling over at vintage king audio.. also there 6 slot vka 500 lunchbox looks solid.
Old 25th October 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutr2 View Post
In my subective opinion, I much prefer dynamic mics through Neve types.

Also if you mean that some modern condensers don't need much gain from the preamp, remember that most preamps "1" setting is already 20-30 db of gain already, so I disagree with you again there :o)
Hey didn't mean to take so long. Neve type pres seem to be compatible with large diaphragm dynamics, but not so much ribbon mics. I think it depends on the source audio. For vocals I seem to always prefer the large diaphragm dynamic or condenser mic into Neve pre combo. But for acoustic instruments a small diaphragm condenser into the Neve is really something special, even more so with small diaphragm omnidirectional mics, such as Earthworks QTC series. The API always sounds good with small diaphragm dynamic mics, it seems to extend or maybe just add detail to the highs starting from the upper mids, whereas Neve pres generally show their "detail boost" a bit higher. A Neve 1073 style pre can really make an LDC like an AT 4033 shine on a bluesy or clean guitar tone or a large dynamic mic soak up the full bottom end of a bass cab. It really depends on the source or application. Generally a LDC will always perform its best with a 1073 style preamp, and a "SDD" will always perform well with an API style preamp. Again, a general rule, based on my observations of the resulting bandwidth, dynamic range, and loudness curve. The main reason, I'm fairly certain but could be wrong, are the sizes and applications of the input transformers.

Anyways as for gain, you actually aren't disagreeing with me. That's exactly what I meant. You don't really need to use the knob, the 10-20dB you get at the 0 or 1 position is usually more than enough for any close mic dynamic, or short to medium distance condenser. Sometimes getting too close to a condenser even at the 0/1 position will begin to exhibit mild to moderate distortion from the mic's output or if it's a hot (and/or sensitive) mic, the preamp's input, or both.
Old 25th October 2015
Lives for gear

I have owned and A/Bed a few pres so here's my opinion.

For budget: digi 8 pre - amazing for price and I believe the pres were designed by focusrite but could be wrong. I a/b this against the asp and couldn't believe how much more smooth the digi pre was. Sent the asp back and kept digi.

Neve sound: vintech 473 - great neve style pre with shelf eq's that are great for tracking.

Api 3124 - great pre that has a little more bottom to it and a punch mid.
Old 25th October 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
Daking IV awesome on everything.
Yep
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search