The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
upcoming N*MM show in LA.......
Old 8th January 2004
Lives for gear

upcoming N*MM show in LA.......

I know that this is kind of against the rules, but I couldn't make the 2003 AES show in NYC and I'm in need of a serious gear fix, so I was wondering if anyone knows where I might find a loose ticket for next week's N*MM show?

There are reasonably safe ways of getting in on the day of the show, but they all involve heading down there without a pass and playing "lets make a deal" with folks exiting the hall. Personally, I'd rather enter into this sort of transaction with a fellow GS reader instead of taking my chances with guys that carve drum sticks for a living.

This isn't RAP or even Harmony Central, (in terms of hits), so I doubt the N*MM police are scanning these posts looking to set up a sting, but it never hurts to be careful.
Old 8th January 2004
Lives for gear

NAMM police? Is there such a thing, and do they scan newsgroups? Seems a little extreme, especially with how easy it is to get into the show on borrowed passes.

If you buy a lot of gear from a particular salesman, you might want to see if you can get a pass from him. Some stores go to the shows to check out the new gear and make deals.
Old 8th January 2004
Lives for gear

N*MM police? Is there such a thing, and do they scan newsgroups? Seems a little extreme, especially with how easy it is to get into the show on borrowed passes.

I WAS joking about the police sting, my point was that its probably a good idea not to flaunt trading/borrowing/selling of passes as it would be easy enough for them to start asking for photo IDs. Better to maintain the status quo by keeping a low profile. That said......anybody got any?
Old 8th January 2004
Jai guru deva om

As long as you're not looking for tickets to NAMBLA you should be OK.

Old 8th January 2004
Gear addict

because at nambla, they do check ID's ...

right?

-sm
Old 8th January 2004
Lives for gear

Thanks a lot guys....

I just laughed so hard that I spit a bite of pizza out my nose onto the computer screen. At the same time I slammed by bottle of Sam Adams down on the counter so hard that it foamed all over the kitchen.

Signing off before I hurt myself
Old 8th January 2004
Jam
Lives for gear

I'm never entirely sure why thet are such a pain in the arse about tickets surely it's in the intrest of the exhibitors if their potential customers can see the gear. I'm sure some of the manufacturers here could make you go white if they told what an average Namm show costs them and then their customers have to pay to get in. Sounds like a win win situation.

Jam
Old 8th January 2004
Gear maniac

Helpin' Hollywood Steve....

Call me. Or e-mail.

I'll be there pimping guitar slides and our new patent pending premium mic stand, the "micKing", along with the "Xtra Boom" accessory clamp-on mic boom.

Hall "E", booth 1829.

Gearslutz are welcome to drop by.

And speaking of the "NAMM Police", aren't they the people scurrying around with sound level meters attempting to enforce the 85 db sound level limit?

If you're not sure what cacaphony is, head for NAMM. It's like having 100 guitar centers explode in your head.

NAMM badges get to be a real joke by the 3rd and 4th days of the show, when at least one third of all badges are being worn by the "wrong" person. Ya never know how to address anyone by then due to the innaccuracy of the badges.

651-688-7502
[email protected]

Jeff Roberts
Whir Lee
Old 8th January 2004
Gear maniac

I've been to the last five or so shows. Last year I saw two women barred at the door for presenting bogus passes. I, on the other hand, walked through with a borrowed pass.

The primary reason for the show is to pimp the gear pimps. There is not enough room to open the show to the public.

Myself, I love to see and meet the celebrities, even if I am not particularly a big fan. For example, I got photos of myself with the likes of Ted Nugent, Buddy Miles, Dick Dale, Jennifer Batten, Albert Lee, Johnny Hiland, Slash and a few more I can't recall. The line for Eddie Van Halen is always too long.

My favorite is a photo with Eddie Kramer and Jimi Hendrix' sister.
I have had a few good conversations with Seymore Duncan, John Pearse, etc. Seymore said he was at a party talking to Jimi and Jimi declined some drugs because he was more interested in talking guitars with Seymore.

Have I learned anything about the equipment at Namm? Not really; I get more of an education on GS. But that may be a function of my lack of knowledge.

One of the items that go up and down like the stock market is T-shirts. Some years everybody is giving them away and others it is not so. Some will sell the shirts.

Some of the most fun is the lower floor where they put the mom and pop manufacturers. My buddy calls it the crazy room. But here you can meet the guy who builds Foggy Mountain guitars or Z. Vex pedals. heh
Old 8th January 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jam
I'm never entirely sure why thet are such a pain in the arse about tickets surely it's in the intrest of the exhibitors if their potential customers can see the gear. I'm sure some of the manufacturers here could make you go white if they told what an average Namm show costs them and then their customers have to pay to get in. Sounds like a win win situation.

Jam
Because NAMM is a trade show designed just for dealers. If it was completely open to the public, it would be too crowded for manufactures and dealers to do what they need to do. NAMM shows are where manufactures get dealers to sign up to carry their product line and to plan out their dealer's orders.

NAMM stands for National Association of Music Merchants. The show is paid for by both booth rentals and NAMM membership fees... _
Old 8th January 2004
Gear addict

I think they could do like a 10 buck sunday badge that opened the show to the public, and then the dealers and demonstrators would just know that they shouldn't make any deals on that day. Flood the gates, enter the unwashed masses to wank the new gear.

Long live the glorious revolution.

Or, ya know, something like that.

-sm
Old 9th January 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by smoothmoniker
I think they could do like a 10 buck sunday badge that opened the show to the public, and then the dealers and demonstrators would just know that they shouldn't make any deals on that day. Flood the gates, enter the unwashed masses to wank the new gear.

<SNIP>-sm
Here here!. I am so in favor of that I can't even tell you. I have quietly been arguing this inside for a while now. In a previous post, someone said (gearguy?) that the show is for manuf to sign up dealers. Well, it used to be that way for pro audio manuf, but it hasn't worked like this in years. Nobody buys at the show anymore, too many "over buys" that purchasing guys regretted later. So I'm not exactly sure what the big transactions are that happen at nam other than international biz, which has also fallen off since 9/11. Maybe a lot of guitar biz?

The public should be invited, that would make me and a lot of others very happy.

Brad
Old 9th January 2004
Gear addict

Hollywood, if you can't get hooked up e-mail me. I'll have an exibitors badge with the drum company i have to sign for, demonstrate, all that b.s. At the worst case scenario i could purchase one for you at a pretty nominal fee...............Hope that [email protected]
Old 9th January 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by drumdude
Hollywood, if you can't get hooked up e-mail me. I'll have an exibitors badge with the drum company i have to sign for, demonstrate, all that b.s. At the worst case scenario i could purchase one for you at a pretty nominal fee...............Hope that [email protected]
Badges are $150 each this year, and I'm a NAM member. Ouch! I that's nominal to you, can you buy some more for me? I need to do what you are doing!
Brad
Old 9th January 2004
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Lunde
Badges are $150 each this year, and I'm a NAM member. Ouch! I that's nominal to you, can you buy some more for me? I need to do what you are doing!
Brad

I believe from every previous year, a company can purhase a certain # of badges pretty cheaply. I believe you're right in that after a certain amount it jumps to 150.00. Usually or at any point in the past my company doen't go over it's alotment. Hope they haven't changed that? that would suck!................by the way Love all your lines Brad!!
Old 9th January 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
I believe from every previous year, a company can purhase a certain # of badges pretty cheaply. I believe you're right in that after a certain amount it jumps to 150.00.
I hope you are right, but I believe they have changed all that this year. Kinda wierd, at the very time they should be encouraging MORE attendees, increasing floor traffic, they make it harder. I bet if I talked to them, they would say the changes are
"security related".

At CES this year, the fake name badge thing is gone too, as you must present your badge at the desk with a matching ID (driver's license) to get a badge holder. Without a badge holder, no sercurity guards will admit you to the show.

So it appears all the shows are tightening things up.

Brad
Old 10th January 2004
Gear addict

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brad Lunde
[B]I hope you are right, but I believe they have changed all that this year. Kinda wierd, at the very time they should be encouraging MORE attendees, increasing floor traffic, they make it harder. I bet if I talked to them, they would say the changes are
"security related".

You're right Brad encouraging more people to attend things like this is what makes the industry grow. Sad the media needs to keep everyone in fear. Will Transaudio have a booth in Anaheim ?
Old 12th January 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:

You're right Brad encouraging more people to attend things like this is what makes the industry grow. Sad the media needs to keep everyone in fear. Will Transaudio have a booth in Anaheim ?
No, we will not. I displayed for many years, spent a lot of money on it, never got new customers from it. I think its just that the attendees are not there for higher end recording stuff. Great MI show.

Its a nice hang, but not an inexpensive one as an exhibitor.

A few folks still go, like EveAnna, API, etc. I think its the international traffic that keeps a few higher end (export) manufacturers going.
Old 12th January 2004
Gear nut

We will be there...

That said it's a funny show. Lots of noise, so it's impossible to hear anything critical. Lots of tire kickers, etc. Because we make plugs for PT, we get 100's of people asking us stupid questions about techinical or non-tech stuff about how something works.

That said, we still see lots of dealers and good customers there, so it's worth doing.

Unfortunatly we don't have any extra badges or I would let people know.

Noah
Old 12th January 2004
Lives for gear

ok, I'm going thursday and friday. Staying over on Thursday nite. If there is in official meet up during that time , count me in.
Old 12th January 2004
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz
[B If there is in official meet up during that time , count me in. [/B]

An official gearslut namm hang.....That would be cool.......walk around and bust on the "banjo mart" stuff!...........I'll never forget one year someone at the Presonis booth telling me their pres sound like 1272's with the openess of an Api!!.......count me in too!!!
Old 12th January 2004
Lives for gear

See this thread... https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...threadid=10164

How would Friday after the show be? I'm going to have to stick around the Lynx booth pretty much until the end. Then we can either go somewhere around the convention center (not much within walking distance besides Disneyland as I remember) or as I said in the thread, the Block at orange is about 10 min from the convention center. There is a great brew place there. (Alcatraz Brewing company)

--Ben

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search