The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Telefunken M60 FET... Anyone tried them yet?
Old 18th August 2015
  #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefunken Lab View Post
Our write-up on the spheres is featured here, originally implemented when we introduced the 260 tri-mono setup

TELEFUNKEN-ELEKTROAKUSTIK.COM | TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik


As Mr. Alden has stated, the spheres are available in 2 sizes and they are compatible with both the tube 260 mics and FET m60 mics. We stock them, just give us a call!

Great, thanks for the info! I also wanted to ask, I am also interested in purchasing a pair of 260s bodies at some point. Is it possible to order the 260 set without any capsules via our dealers or would that have to be direct from Telefunken?
Old 19th August 2015
  #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by auralart View Post
Great, thanks for the info! I also wanted to ask, I am also interested in purchasing a pair of 260s bodies at some point. Is it possible to order the 260 set without any capsules via our dealers or would that have to be direct from Telefunken?
You can certainly order through your preferred dealer

Last edited by Telefunken Lab; 19th August 2015 at 01:53 PM..
Old 16th July 2016
  #33
Here for the gear
 

I am interested in trying these mics but am worried about their lower output. I play fingerstyle acoustic guitar with a softer attack. I usually have to give the preamps on my Babyface 2 at least 45db of gain, sometimes more, and that is one mics with higher output, like the AT 2020 or 3035. Can anyone comment who has used the M60 on a quieter source?
Old 16th July 2016
  #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonemery View Post
I am interested in trying these mics but am worried about their lower output. I play fingerstyle acoustic guitar with a softer attack. I usually have to give the preamps on my Babyface 2 at least 45db of gain, sometimes more, and that is one mics with higher output, like the AT 2020 or 3035. Can anyone comment who has used the M60 on a quieter source?
No issues on quiet sources here.
Old 25th February 2018
  #35
I heard these mics on drum overheads and they sounded wonderful. Clear, great image, smooth top end.
Old 27th February 2018
  #36
I'm interested in buying the M60, but I don't see where you can just purchase a omni head if I want to change the cardioid head for a particular song. Anyone knows if you can buy the omni head separately?
Old 27th February 2018
  #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
I'm interested in buying the M60, but I don't see where you can just purchase a omni head if I want to change the cardioid head for a particular song. Anyone knows if you can buy the omni head separately?
TK61 OMNI CAPSULE | Telefunken Elektroakustik

Old 6th July 2018
  #38
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Anyone compare the m60 to the Soyuz 013?
Old 20th November 2018
  #39
Lives for gear
 
omegaomega's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Anyone compare the m60 to the Soyuz 013?
Yeah, I want to know that too ...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #40
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alden View Post
I record mostly classical and film scores so I'll share my experience in that field:

The M60s are excellent. I would put them in the same league as Neumann, Schoeps, DPA, etc. In this category, mic choices are subjective and personal, so I'll do my best to describe what I hear as the unique character of the M60s.


They sound a little truer to the source than 184s or m300s, but they definitely have a color of their own. Very punchy across the entire range. The top end is slightly enhanced and the low-mids are slightly meaty, but in a less aggressive way than 184s (certainly not harsh). At a distance in a big space, I've found that 184s become dark and round sounding, whereas the m60s maintain their brightness, sort of like Schoeps. On percussion they are very 3D. I can see, feel, and taste drums and hand percussion when using the cardioid caps at a distance in ORTF. Overall, they have a "finished," slightly nostalgic sound to them. They remind me of listening to a 70's Teldec recording.

Looking at an FFT in a shootout with m300s, the m300s appear a bit compressed at the top (maybe why they sound so smooth), whereas the m60s are very bouncy and "dance" evenly across the full frequency range.

As far as guitar goes, I have a 1920's parlor guitar that I've been trying them on as I teach myself how to play guitar. The M60s are the only mics I've used so far that capture the experience of playing that instrument. All the body, sympathetic resonance, and overtones of the instrument are captured beautifully, with a dash of that slight nostalgic character I mentioned.

I've attached a couple of clips from a recording session a couple of days ago. The piano is a dark 9 ft Steinway in a small, muddy hall. I used the M60s with omni capsules and 50mm acrylic spheres to add a little focus and brighten up the piano. The clarinet is in the same space, with the same musician (multi-talented!), and no spheres. The interface is a Focusrite Forte. There is no processing on either clip. I plan to scrub out the air conditioning rumble, but otherwise they're good to go.



Loved both pieces , piano performance was amazing as was the flute ? Piano had a dark majestic sound to it , sorta classic sounding. Would love to hear the same performance with closer mic placement , but using the natural sound of the room served the performance well . About the m60’s I’m considering buying a pair , but I’m worried it won’t function the way I expect because the room I plan to record acoustic guitar in is small but treated so I might be able to add some room reverb post mix .
Old 4 weeks ago
  #41
Lives for gear
 
mljung's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefunken Lab View Post
Broken link

Anyhow found this PDF with data for all three capsules: https://www.telefunken-elektroakusti...M60-Manual.pdf

::
Mads

Last edited by mljung; 4 weeks ago at 02:29 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #42
Lives for gear
 
mljung's Avatar
Would be interesting to hear how it compares to the new Røde TF-5 in cardiod

::
Mads
Old 4 weeks ago
  #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
Broken link

Anyhow found this PDF with data for all three capsules: https://www.telefunken-elektroakusti...M60-Manual.pdf

::
Mads
You'll find the additional capsules in our webstore. Here's an updated link: https://www.telefunken-elektroakusti...ts-accessories

Best,
James
Old 4 weeks ago
  #44
Gear Nut
 
Ukiah Bass's Avatar
 

My M60s came with a matched pair of cardioids.

Is it possible to buy a matched pair of omni capsules only? How is this specified?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukiah Bass View Post
My M60s came with a matched pair of cardioids.

Is it possible to buy a matched pair of omni capsules only? How is this specified?
Yes, you can buy Omni capsules here: https://www.telefunken-elektroakusti...-ela-m-260-m60

Write in the order notes that you want them matched.

Best,
James
Old 3 weeks ago
  #46
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefunken Lab View Post
Yes, you can buy Omni capsules here: https://www.telefunken-elektroakusti...-ela-m-260-m60

Write in the order notes that you want them matched.

Best,
James
How are capsules matched ?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #47
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaMetzger View Post
How are capsules matched ?
We test our capsules in a small anechoic chamber using a testing amplifier which has an extremely flat frequency response so as not to alter the curve of the capsules being tested. Small diaphragm capsules are attached to this amplifier and an impulse response is generated using our testing software to generate frequency response and gain data for each capsule being tested. Matching capsules is as easy as reviewing the data and finding capsules with identical curves and gain. All matched sets are within a half dB of each other across the entire audio spectrum.

-James
Old 3 weeks ago
  #48
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefunken Lab View Post
We test our capsules in a small anechoic chamber using a testing amplifier which has an extremely flat frequency response so as not to alter the curve of the capsules being tested. Small diaphragm capsules are attached to this amplifier and an impulse response is generated using our testing software to generate frequency response and gain data for each capsule being tested. Matching capsules is as easy as reviewing the data and finding capsules with identical curves and gain. All matched sets are within a half dB of each other across the entire audio spectrum.

-James
Oh wow that is pretty neat . I’m def going to get me a pair of m60’s soon . They sound amazing .
Old 3 weeks ago
  #49
matching mic's body's

And how are the body themselves matched M260 or M60?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombrerogrande View Post
And how are the body themselves matched M260 or M60?
M60 amplifiers are built to such a tight tolerance that any two can be used for a matched pair. We see very little variation in performance across production runs.

With the ELA M 260, we select vacuum tubes that are within a specific tolerance according to our proprietary tube grading system before they are installed in the amplifiers. The rest of the circuit (passive components and the transformer) are always within tolerance and do not require matching.

Best,
James
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump