The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Microphoneparts.com someone?
Old 17th July 2015
Gear Addict
Microphoneparts.com someone?

Hi,

I built a "Linear 87" kit from Microphoneparts.com, and am most impressed with my recorded voice. Maybe that's because I don't have a lot of experience miking my voice with other ones, except Behringer B2Pro. But it just sounded wonderful to me.

Are there other people out there using this mic, what do you think of it's tonal quality? Off coarse I like to hear that it's a good microphone

Just out of curiousity...

Greetz, Benny
Old 17th July 2015
Glad you like my circuits in those. Yes, it's an excellent sounding mic, don't let the mic snobs fool you. I slightly prefer the u-67 capsule with 8200 pf roll-off caps to tune it. I also added those to my U-87 capsules. It emulates Neumann's factory roll-offs.
Old 17th July 2015
Lives for gear

I've modded several mic using their kits. Best bang for buck out there. My next will be that GXL3000 mod. Can you post some clips? :-)
Old 18th July 2015
Gear Addict
Me Likey,

Well... I had this test I ran on a piece of The Doors's Riders on the storm I used the mic on, with EQ, compression and a dash of reverb going on it. I was pleasantly surprised at how good that sounded. But the pain is, I didn't take the effort to save the file from my retired DAW when I set up my current new one.
So that one is lost forever... it was only a test.

Today I was working on a cover from a song that my wife and I used to love when we met each other, and I want her to hear it by surprise... never did something that serious before. But the thing is, I think my vocals don't really suit the track, I actually presume other people find that they suck!
(Which I don't adress to the mic, but rather to my talent as a vocalist)

So, she can hear it, but I don't think the rest of the world wants to hear...
The mic has got the RK47 capsule in it, had a donor body coming with it, and I installed 3 mini toggle switches in stead of the plasticky donor mic ones.
It's got cardioid/omni/fig 8 , LPFONN/OFF, and a switchable -10db pad (also a "custom wind" transformer, and it's a FET mic design).

If you insist on hearing the mic, I can send you my todays work, but I warned you...

Greetz, Benny
Attached Thumbnails
Microphoneparts.com someone?-mic-1.jpg   Microphoneparts.com someone?-mic-2.jpg  
Old 18th July 2015
Lives for gear

I did the MXL 990 Premium Electronics mod with an RK-47 capsule. Super quiet and clean. I also did the Dany Bouchard U87 clone using a microphone-parts RK87 capsule. That was a fun (challenging) build and couldn't be happier with the results
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search