The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What guitar pedal is this?
Old 17th July 2015
Gear Head

What guitar pedal is this?

Can someone tell me what Guitar effect/Pedal is being used here? It sounds like spacey sucking sound..

Guitar part is at: 5:48-6:20

https://youtu.be/rF8khJ7P4Wg
Old 17th July 2015
Gear Head

Anyone?
Old 17th July 2015
What I hear is a fuzz guitar that has been made to sound like a synth by using a filter. At times it's rather like a wah, but it's not an ordinary wah pedal range. It's also more than just a low pass filter - at times it sounds like a swept high pass filter. You can hear a lot of extreme knob tweaking going on - I don't think you are going to achieve this with a simple foot controlled filter.

I'm guessing they did this in the studio, after the guitar part was tracked, by running it through a synth - might even be a combination of 2 or more filter sections. Moog would be my guess.

To pull this off live would be challenging ... I have a Moog synth and a Moog LPF1 that would get the sound but setting it up with controllers would be a pain.

I have various wahs and filter pedals that would sound similar and be easier to use. Here is what I would try ...

When filtering guitars sounds, you need a very rich full range sound to start with - I would probably start with a fuzz pedal, or maybe combine a couple of pedals to get a really full, nasty sound. Even a Boss DS1 might be useful in this context. If you have any experience with synth oscillators - the raw square wave tone can sound really thin and nasty, but it's the filters that can turn that type of sound into all those lush, fat sounds you get from synths.

I'm hearing elements of an envelope follower filter ... basically an auto-wah type of sound. There are plenty of guitar filter pedals that have an envelope follower ... even a basic Boss AW-3 can do this. But at times i'm hearing a slow sweep of the whole range, with plenty of resonance. You could plug an expression pedal into a filter pedal to achieve this. Possibly the same pedal - so it is responding to both the dynamics of your playing, and you can also sweep it around with your foot. Or - combine two pedals in series. Or - to get even closer to some of the sounds i'm hearing in there, you might want a foot controlled low pass filter AND a foot controled high pass filter.

That would allow you to sweep up (keeping the lows) or sweep up (losing the lows) or vice versa.

At some points in the climax of that piece i'm hearing really fast knob tweakage going on - and this can't be done with either an envelope follower or a typical pedal.

EHX have some new wah pedals that can be operated faster than normal because they are one-piece ... but I still think you would struggle to tweak them this fast. This is where I would use my Soundblox filter with a Hot Hand.

A Hot Hand is a ring you wear on your finger - it has a blue led for stage effect. But basically it is sending a wifi signal that tells the receiver where your hand is, in 3D space. You can use this to control one of their filters directly - OR - you can use it like an expression pedal to control a filter with an expression pedal input - OR - there is a midi version that could control synths or whatever.

The Hot Hand would let you shake your hand really fast and control the filter in ways you just can't otherwise do. Perfect for dubstep wobbles.

At the risk of triggering all the Line6 haters ... this is the sort of stuff that I would also use a Pod HD for. A Pod HD has everything you need in one box to get very similar sounds. It has a range of nasty distortion and amp FX. It has a range of very powerful wahs and filters ... and you can assign these in any combination you want, and you can assign multiple controllers to them ... and you could finish off the sound with delays and reverb etc ... this is where I think Line6 stuff shine ... experimental stuff that is more like synth design than merely being an amp replacer.

Hope that helps ...

Filters are fun, and generally analog sounds slightly better than digital. But digital is awesome, and generally more powerful and flexible for your dollar, and programmable.

Or - get somebody to tweak knobs for you on stage ...

Or if this for studio use, automate some plugins.
Old 17th July 2015
Old 18th July 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbarnett View Post
Can someone tell me what Guitar effect/Pedal is being used here? It sounds like spacey sucking sound..

Guitar part is at: 5:48-6:20

https://youtu.be/rF8khJ7P4Wg
I've wanted to know the answer for this since the first time I've heard this album... brilliant.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search