The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What next? Overcoming analysis paralysis.
Old 16th July 2015
Gear Addict

What next? Overcoming analysis paralysis.

A little background; I've been making music, all in Logic Pro, for a few years now, in various different spaces. For the past year I've had the luxury of renting a house that actually has a partially treated, most soundproof, music room. I have no real aspirations, this is a hobby (mostly), that I enjoy. I enjoy learning and developing and, of course, I like gear.

The "problem"; what's next? I've slowly built up some decent enough gear and know how to use it (up to a point). But I'd like to take a next step, for quality, learning and variety (and fun).

What I do; record acoustic guitars, record electric guitars... and maybe a little vocals here 'n' there. Most of what I do ranges from atmospheric to folky to rocky (but not shred/metal). I'm not going to be recording acoustic drums or brass at this point in time.

What I have:
Mics: AT4041, Studio Projects B1, M-Audio Solaris, AKG C214, two SM57s.
Interface: Apogee Quartet
Monitors: Dyanudio BM5a and M-Audio 'grot boxes' through a Mackie Big Knob.
Outboard: Presonus Tube Pre, Radial PZ-Pre, VTBass Di, JDI and a bunch of electric guitar pedals.

I'm interested in ribbon mics, tube mics, getting a stereo pair, doing more M/S (I've done it with the Solaris and either the 214 or the 4041 so far). Maybe even playing around with Blumlein... I have a really tonally diverse collection of guitars from nylon string to resonator to vintage steel string. On the electric side I have a lot of different tones, too, from P-13 vintage to P-90 to humbuckers.

I'm also interested in outboard gear. So far I've managed to get away without having a rack and I'm thinking to stay that way for a bit... but I'm interested in working with/using different micpre's, maybe compression and EQ? Maybe a solid state pre (like a Neve 5017) and a tube pre (like a 610/Solo)? Maybe a full on channel strip like a 6176... which would take me into rack territory.

I've seemingly read all the way to the end of the internets and feel non the wiser at this point... I'm not interested in the high end (I'm not going to spend 4 grand on a single mic) but I'm also not interested in the low end. I'm not brand sensitive; I've been equally curious about Telefunken and Royer mics as I am about Cascade/ShinyBox/Advanced Audio etc.

So, let's say we had a budget of 5 grand, US, what direction would YOU take next? More mics? Combination of mics and some outboard? What's, possibly, 'missing' from what I have?

Many thanks
Old 16th July 2015
Start making some music. What instruments do you have? You have good gear, and maybe some more mics would be nice, but the gains will become diminishingly small. Compared to getting a new guitar, or amp, or pedals, or a synth ...
Old 16th July 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Start making some music. What instruments do you have? You have good gear, and maybe some more mics would be nice, but the gains will become diminishingly small. Compared to getting a new guitar, or amp, or pedals, or a synth ...
I'm not sure you read my post... I do make music and I have a wide variety of guitars... I've spent the past three years pretty much focused entirely on the guitar side of things, now I want to expand my studio capabilities and knowledge.
Old 16th July 2015
Lives for gear

Go down the rabbit hole and get a 500 series rack. You know it's inevitable.
Old 16th July 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_Likey View Post
Go down the rabbit hole and get a 500 series rack. You know it's inevitable.
Not the first time I've heard that... have to say, I don't know much about 500 series stuff... another rabbit hole... great
Old 17th July 2015
Gear Addict

Ok... so I made a start. Went up to town, last night, and the store had a used Twin-Finity in... so I bought it. And rented some mics. So, for the next month I can play with a pair of C42s, a pair of 451s... and a Royer 101.

Small steps...
Old 17th July 2015
Focus on getting a couple of good guitars, bass, and acoustic guitar. After that a neumanns sdc mic pair. After that a pair of avantone mixcubes as a secondary pair. If money is left, midi keyboard and a few synths vsts to have fun with
Old 17th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundSlinger View Post
...another rabbit hole... great
There is always another "rabbit hole" no matter what level you are at.

The hole just gets wider and deeper...
I have gone down the hole, climbed back out and then gone back down it too many times to even count.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search