The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
For recording: Marshall 4x12 loaded with 4 different speakers
Old 16th July 2015
Lives for gear

For recording: Marshall 4x12 loaded with 4 different speakers

Ive loaded a Marshall 4x12 with 4 different speakers for recording use/permanent install in my "amp closet".

Right now it's loaded with a G12M, a G12H, a JBL D120, and a EV 12L.

The Celestions are 16 ohms wired for an 8 ohm total with a separate jack.
The other two are 8 ohm, wired to separate jacks.

Just started checking it out and I think it will be useful Anybody tried this?
Old 17th July 2015
Lives for gear
Hi Terry

I've wanted to do something like that for decades, never got around to it. Seems like a good idea. How is it working for you?

I envisioned a rotary switching network to select different assortments of the speakers. And a removable back that perhaps uses road case latches to clamp down rubbber seals, so it could be operated either open or closed back.

The mic technique where a mic is aimed primarily toward one speaker in the stack, but the phasing from dual or quad speakers gives the fatness not found from single speaker cabs. Theorized that mismatched speakers would give about the same sound as matched speakers, for the speakers that are off axis. So if the mic is in front of the jbl, it would mostly record like a jbl dual or quad, but if the mic in front of the greenback or jensen, it would mostly record like a greenback or jensen dual or quad. Maybe it would work thataway, dunno.

Well, was also thinking for my tastes maybe a D110, a weber twangy stiff cone alnico 10", a D112 and a greenback. Possibly covering the sound of both 10" and 12" duals and quads.
Old 17th July 2015
Lives for gear
We have many cabs but my for recording is a Marshall
with 2 Gt75 abd 2V30's in X-pattern, so there is one slanted and one straight
for each speaker. I love diff speakers in cabs for recording
Old 17th July 2015
Lives for gear

I've got a straight cab with 2 V30s and 2 G12-65s in an X pattern.
The oldest G12 gets mic'd most often, so I'm thinking about changing the V30s for something like either Greenbacks or EVMs.
Old 17th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Great minds think alike!

I made a 4x10 cab out of an old organ speaker cab and loaded it with four different Weber speakers: 10A125, 10F150, Blue Pup, Silver 10. I made sure all speakers were similar in efficiency.

Each speaker is 16ohm wired with it's own jack (located on top of the cab for easy access).

I made two Parallel cables and one Series cable.

I purchased a Weber Z-Matcher.

So I now have eleven speaker combos: each speaker individually, any two speakers in combo, all four speakers at once.

Lots of tonal fun to be had!
Old 17th July 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
We have many cabs but my for recording is a Marshall
with 2 Gt75 abd 2V30's in X-pattern, so there is one slanted and one straight
for each speaker. I love diff speakers in cabs for recording
V30's rule in the studio , been there, done that, well for distorted tones I mean....
Old 17th July 2015
Lives for gear

I've got a similar setup, but instead of one 4x12 I have two 2x12's that can be linked up, or used separately (useful for when I'm tracking bands live and there's more than one guitarist). They are loaded with different 8-ohm Celestions and I mic all the speakers up. This lets me blend some of the speakers (I do this a lot) or use different ones for different colors. It's great!

My two main amps are a JCM800 2203 and a non master volume JMP Super Bass (I also have a Super Reverb that I wish I could've used as a "head" with this setup, but I can't since it's 2 ohm). With the two amps and different speakers I have seemingly endless options that all still sound cohesive but are different enough to stand on their own in a mix.

The only important thing to keep in mind, especially if you're using higher-wattage heads like I am, is that the real power handling capacity of such a cab will only be 4x that of the speaker with the lowest power handling capacity.
Old 17th July 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodic Wave View Post
V30's rule in the studio , been there, done that, well for distorted tones I mean....
Yep, def for distorted tones. Another combo I love for downtuned
guitars was 2 V30's top and 2 HOT100 bottom, massive and tight low end
Now that I think about it I need to make a cab like that again
Old 17th July 2015
Lives for gear

I've found that the speaker (more than the guitar or amp) by far makes the most difference to the overall tone. Once I discovered this I loaded up a 1x12 with a Celestian Gold, a 2x12 with a greenback and a 12h-30, another 2x12 with vintage fanes and yet another 1x12 with a V30. I keep them all mic'd up at the same time with my mic of choice for each speaker. Love having the options - particularly when layering or doubling guitar parts.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search