The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lauten audio Horizon VS Avantone CV12
View Poll Results: Lauten audio horizon vs avantone cv12
lauten audio horizon
4 Votes - 66.67%
avantone cv 12
2 Votes - 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th July 2015
Here for the gear

Lauten audio Horizon VS Avantone CV12

hi!

I want to buy a knew mic, mainly for vocals, but a kind of workhorse LDC... I own several cheap LDC like blue spark, kel hm1 kel hm2d, cad m179 and i wanted to upgrade to something more pro, with more mojo..... I can find the avantone (wich receive a lot of love on all the forums) and the lauten for nearly the same price, so what do you suggest? I ve read a lot on the avantone but hard to find a lot of review for the horizon, is there someone who has tried it? Show me the light my friends!
Old 13th July 2015
Gear Head

I've never used the Avantone, but the Lauten Horizon is a fantastic mic. If you are going from lower cost miss to the Lauten you will definitely see a huge step up.

Can't recommend it enough.

N
Old 13th July 2015
Lives for gear

I used the CV-12 with great sucess on lead vox for 3+ years. I like the sound of the mic.

Never used the Horizon. Lauten has a good rep so it's probably a good mic. But their main claim to fame comes from the Atlantis and Oceanus models. I see the Horizon is cardioid only while the avantone is a multi-pattern mic. Depending on what you record - For a workhorse mic, multiple patterns would seem to be a big plus.

Eventually I purchased a cardioid only mic for lead vox costing almost 5x more, but keep the CV12 for a 2nd option and because it has all the patterns. ...And because the mic was so good to me!

Here's a tip - If you get the CV12 and you want smooth vocals position the singer at least 2.5 ft (or more) from the mic. If you want edgy aggressive crunch - get right up in the grill. Always let it warm up.

The only bad thing about the CV12 is it has a bright bump in the 5k frequency range which on some female singers can be a problem. EQ can usually fix it - but not always.

Best of luck
Old 14th July 2015
Lives for gear

No experience with the Avantone. I also have not used the Horizon, but I have used the Lauten Oceanus, Torch and Clarion. If you want a workhorse multi-pattern LDC the Clarion is a good one. Does well on any source I use it on. (I have 2) Mojo? dunno. Might want to get that from the source, then record it accurately.
Old 14th July 2015
Lives for gear

I have a Atlantis..have had a Clarion and a couple of Avantone mics. In general I thought the Lauten Audio mics were a step above the Avantone, but the Avantone's were not bad mics. But if prices were similar, I think I'd go Lauten Audio every time.
L.
Old 14th July 2015
if you want to hear the cv12 listen to taylor swift's album "speak now" all vocals done through the cv12. Sounds like it must be a pretty good mic. I've never used it personally

Taylor Swift Speak Now
Old 14th July 2015
Here for the gear

As i mentionned, i ve read pretty much everything on the web about the cv12... And i really wanted to buy one before i found an add about a demo horizon for 675$, and the avantone is 610$ (can), so i wanted to have your opinion between those 2 at the same price... So thanks for your comments! I still don t know what to do...... More opinions?
What Do you thINk that the hOrizoN iS no moRe ProDUcted by LauTen?
Old 14th July 2015
Lives for gear

...between those two I would definately go with the Lauten, but there's another more cost-effective option that may be better than both...the Stellar CM-5 ($415) originates from the same manufacturer as the CV-12, but it employs much more upgraded components for less money...the CM-5 has an upgraded 34mm 6-micron edge-terminated C12-style capsule (the CV-12 has the same 32mm center-terminated capsule as the Apex 460)...the CM-5 has a 12:1 T14-style dual-bobbin transformer (the CV-12 has the same cheap stock transformer as the Apex 460)...the CM-5 has a heavily modified CCDA circuit which is the same circuit employed in the more costly Advanced Audio tube mics (the CV-12 has a lightly-modified version of the Apex 460 circuit)...

...oh, the CV-12 has a spiffy red paint job...

...do yourself a favor and google "Stellar CM-5"...best value in a good-quality tube mic with mojo for under $500, IMHO...

***Just saw this pre-owned deal here:
Lauten audio Horizon VS Avantone CV12http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stellar-Cm-5...-/321805967244

Last edited by kidvybes; 14th July 2015 at 09:02 PM..
Old 15th July 2015
Here for the gear

I ve heard about the stellar, here on gearslutz, but to tell the truth, i am looking for a mic that sounds good on my website! I mean, i want a brand that gives confidence for the futures clients, you know? I m sure that the stellar is awesome, but it s not a big name ( i admit avantone is not a big name, but with the buzz with taylor swift and the mixcubes).... I don't know if you understand my point of view? It s about being attractive too.... That's why i m not into mods cause even if it sounds amazing, the people read behringer and they prefer read neumann.... Not my philosophie, i love keeping my money and have great sound, but.... What do you guys think about that?... That said i will take the time to read more on the stellar... Thank you...
Old 15th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keza31 View Post
I ve heard about the stellar, here on gearslutz, but to tell the truth, i am looking for a mic that sounds good on my website! I mean, i want a brand that gives confidence for the futures clients, you know? I m sure that the stellar is awesome, but it s not a big name ( i admit avantone is not a big name, but with the buzz with taylor swift and the mixcubes).... I don't know if you understand my point of view? It s about being attractive too.... That's why i m not into mods cause even if it sounds amazing, the people read behringer and they prefer read neumann....
...I've heard that argument before, and if you're a high-end studio charging exorbitant rates, you better have a locker full of Neumanns and such I suppose...but if you're running a small project studio, most of your clients come via referrals, so your work is what counts most...if you've got AE/producer Nathan Chapman's chops, then maybe you can get by with the CV-12 (upgraded with a $100 NOS GE 6072 tube)...

...but nothing is more impressive to a vocal client than putting on a set of headphones and hearing themselves like they've never heard themselves before (not the red paint job)...the CM-5 sounds considerably better than the CV-12 for good reason, and frankly, looks more professional,IMHO...focus on improving your skills, learn to make the best use of the gear you can afford, charge reasonable rates, and the clients will come...

...just my .02c...
Old 15th July 2015
Lives for gear

I've owned the Avantone for over 6 years now. I'm on the 3rd tube. I have to say it's not a bad microphone- at all! It works nicely on most sources. I can't say I've ever recorded a bad vocal track with it!

(I don't own and have never used the Lauten).

I still use the CV12 but alas there seems to be a season for everything. Lately I've been using the Shure KSM44 for vocals. Also the Neumann TLM103 (which seems to work sweetly with LOTS of subtractive EQ...) But the Avantone is a very nice mic for the price.
Old 15th July 2015
Here for the gear

It's not MY argument, i think you re right... But i m sure that a brandname dropping is working even in small studio... But the biggest part is the way you use the gear, the place, the ambiance, the way you work etc... The goal is to have the more people coming, so being great counts, but before that, the gear counts too! But your 2 cents looks gold to me! I love to have those brainstorming!
Old 15th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's not MY argument, i think you re right... But i m sure that a brandname dropping is working even in small studio... But the biggest part is the way you use the gear, the place, the ambiance, the way you work etc... The goal is to have the more people coming, so being great counts, but before that, the gear counts too! But your 2 cents looks gold to me! I love to have those brainstorming!
...if "brand name dropping" is important, skip the Lauten and Avantone and buy a Neumann TLM 102 for about the same money...I don't believe the Avantone name has any more clout than Stellar or Lauten, with or without Taylor Swift (who no longer uses that mic by the way)...

...I'll be honest with you...the one piece of gear my clients are always impressed with (more than the mic itself) is my Enhanced Audio M600 isolation mounts...makes any mic look much more high-end and serious (best $100 bling effect!)...

Old 15th July 2015
When it comes to microphone brand name recognition Its always Neuman. id save up and get a used u87 . No compromise in sound quality and you get a mic that everyone knows.

You'll eventually want to upgrade a cv-12 and when you sell it you'll lose money.
Old 15th July 2015
Here for the gear

Lol all you need is a good shockmount finally! That s always the conclusion when i buy a mic....keep your money and buy a ****ing U87...... I will for sure when i will have enough clients.... But for now my work allows me to buy a700ish mic.... Mojave audio maybe?
Thanks guys it's a pleasure to have your opinions.... But what you think for a long term that the horizon is y now?
Old 15th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
But for now my work allows me to buy a700ish mic.... Mojave audio maybe?
...just buy one of these on eBay for $60 and that leaves you $640 for any mic you please...now everybody's happy!
Attached Thumbnails
Lauten audio Horizon VS Avantone CV12-1_733418bc75767dc563bc73d7af28f7a8.jpg  
Old 15th July 2015
Lives for gear

For under $500 I really like my TLM 102. If I sold it it would probably be for an Atlantis, but their new Eden looks great.
Old 15th July 2015
Get a stellar and you can tell your clients why you chose that mic.

I don't know anyone who has been sold on studio time because of a CV-12.

Ultimately the thing that gets you more work is the quality. Impress a few artists and they'll tell all their friends about you.

Brand name recognition should be the least of your worries unless you have the resources to stock Neuman, neve, ssl, Api and the usual suspects.
Old 16th July 2015
Here for the gear

I must admit that the name of avantone doesn t make dream! But lauten audio a bit more with wagner and fab dupont
I could buy a stellar and make it a neumann like my ssl!
Attached Thumbnails
Lauten audio Horizon VS Avantone CV12-image_8494_0.jpg  

Last edited by Keza31; 17th July 2015 at 12:09 AM..
Old 17th July 2015
LOL. Who needs a Neumans when you got that sweet vintage one of a kind SSL desk?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search