The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland CN-20 and CM-32P
Old 11th July 2015
Gear Addict

Roland CN-20 and CM-32P

Hi GS!

I just picked up Roland's CN-20 Music Entry Pad and a CM-32P PCM Sound Module. They were so cheap and I fell in love at first sight. When I took the Mysic Entry Pad out of the box I fell in love all over again. It's beautiful!

I can't seem to find much about these babies on the Internet.
Is there anybody on here that uses them? Or maybe has used them might be a more fitting word to modify the sentence.

They were in the junk section. I'm just about to plug them in to see if they work.

Any info on these machines would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Roland CN-20 and CM-32P-image_493_0.jpg  
Old 11th July 2015
Gear Addict

HOORAY!!!!!! They both switch on. The Music Pad puts out MIDI data and has some cool features. The PCM sound module needs a memory card full of sounds. Unfortunately there aren't any in the box.

The box is slightly yellowed but the units themselves look untouched! The Music Pad was about a fiver. I do want another MIDI controller as I am using the MPC for two desktop synths but this is almost too darxxxellent to use!

I am looking forward to hearing anymore information you guys have on these units.

His Most Darxxxellent

Edit: The PCM unit has sounds built in. I tried my MPC with it but nothing happened. I'll try some more things as I done everything according to the manual. I wouldn't have thought it was broke due to the flawless condition.
Old 14th July 2015
Gear Head

Wow, this takes me back about 25 years.
The CM-32P is a U-110 without user interface. It receives MIDI channels 11 to 15, that's probably why it is not responding to the MPC.
You can set the MIDI out channel on the CN-20 to 11 or higher and should be able to hear sounds from the module.

Martin909
Old 18th July 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin909 View Post
Wow, this takes me back about 25 years.
The CM-32P is a U-110 without user interface. It receives MIDI channels 11 to 15, that's probably why it is not responding to the MPC.
You can set the MIDI out channel on the CN-20 to 11 or higher and should be able to hear sounds from the module.

Martin909
Hey Martin909,

Thanks muchly for whipping back a reply to me. I can't wait to fire this thing up and listen to its character after your much welcomed suggestion.

I'm glad I could give you a happy shot from the nostalgia gun! What is your story of them? I'd love to know!

I really love the look of the units and having just started collecting outboard gear they are not something I would like to part with. However, my mind likes to overly bubble on the horizon a little too often and had me wonder if these things would be worth anything if I popped them on the Internet. What do you think?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search