The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Presonus selling shoddy monitors
Old 2nd July 2015
Lives for gear

Presonus selling shoddy monitors

Hi I was interested in buying the presonus monitors. I had a bad experience with paying $500 for a new 1818 vsl. I had issues with mac drivers back then. Took them a year or so to fix it. Can't sell it because the drivers are poor and the pops and clicks won't go away. So my buddy owns his own studio. He told me not to buy the presonus montiors. He bought two Sceptre S8's. First one was defective. The second one had a blown fuse. Went to guitar center recently and my salesmen said people have been trading them in (presonus speakers in general) or returning them because of blown fuse issue or for other reasons.

I love studio one. I feel presonus usa need to step their butts up. Users care about studio one. I'm only interested in their hardware because of their software. Studio One users, who don't use the hardware will have high expectations of the hardware. This is unacceptable on the us teams part. The software team in hamburg has done an acceptable job with the software. They are carrying the company. I don't think users want to be afraid to buy their hardware knowing the life span is short. Stories on here of their interfaces setting on fire, speakers having blown fuses, or users going through two products etc. Presonus USA do you notice the difference in your hardware vs Native Instruments and RME. I think you can figure that out.
Old 2nd July 2015
N.E
Gear Maniac

The PreSonus Sceptre S6's look wicked, very futuristic. But that's it however!
Old 2nd July 2015
zez
Gear Nut
I had the Presonus Eris E8's. They are impossible to mix on and are kind of like a repackaged KRK Rokit's.

Save your money and go with something else.
Old 19th July 2015
Here for the gear

I have been burnt by PreSonus too many times and will never buy ANYTHING from them again...!!!

Pure junk from con artists.
Old 19th July 2015
Gear Maniac

My Sceptre S6s are awesome, no problems and cut my mix referencing time significantly
Old 26th September 2015
Lives for gear

In the beginning, I had the typical past expressed feelings towards Presonus - usually due to driver complaints here. I was Presonus shy for sure. I first acquired an SL16 mixer. I did have one issue but once rectified, it served faithfully for years. I then got a second SL24 and never had an issue. I have recorded live with it for years in Capture as well as in Logic and other DAWs. Early last year I began using SO and loved it. In November, I grabbed a pair of Sceptre 8's and love them. Early this year, I also grabbed a set of SL308 live speakers and subs and like the Sceptre's, they are phenomenal. With the live gear, all of it is still used weekly and most is set up and torn down every week as well.

Sorry to hear of your experience but be encouraged that it isn't always like that. I tend to think they have had some growing pains but are on a great track. Recently, they announced a new centerpiece audio interface with a dynamic range of 118db on the converters. That's impressive and I want to hear them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopre View Post
Hi I was interested in buying the presonus monitors. I had a bad experience with paying $500 for a new 1818 vsl. I had issues with mac drivers back then. Took them a year or so to fix it. Can't sell it because the drivers are poor and the pops and clicks won't go away. So my buddy owns his own studio. He told me not to buy the presonus montiors. He bought two Sceptre S8's. First one was defective. The second one had a blown fuse. Went to guitar center recently and my salesmen said people have been trading them in (presonus speakers in general) or returning them because of blown fuse issue or for other reasons.

I love studio one. I feel presonus usa need to step their butts up. Users care about studio one. I'm only interested in their hardware because of their software. Studio One users, who don't use the hardware will have high expectations of the hardware. This is unacceptable on the us teams part. The software team in hamburg has done an acceptable job with the software. They are carrying the company. I don't think users want to be afraid to buy their hardware knowing the life span is short. Stories on here of their interfaces setting on fire, speakers having blown fuses, or users going through two products etc. Presonus USA do you notice the difference in your hardware vs Native Instruments and RME. I think you can figure that out.
Old 30th April 2019
Here for the gear

Hey there a few years later I too have a defective Sceptre s8 it seems it may be a fuse.... where was his fuse located? And after waiting with no response from Prsonus I opened it up and the only fuse I can figure is a welded small 4amp one on the pcb. Smh this is my last presonus gear
Old 21st June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbassman View Post
Hey there a few years later I too have a defective Sceptre s8 it seems it may be a fuse.... where was his fuse located? And after waiting with no response from Prsonus I opened it up and the only fuse I can figure is a welded small 4amp one on the pcb. Smh this is my last presonus gear
Got a great deal on a pair of used Sceptre S6s on ebay. Read a lot of great reviews but as soon as I hooked them up and started listening, I immediately heard a problem. It sounded like there was a high-cut filter on the audio I was playing through them and a huge boost in the mids---very harsh mids, nasally, and no highs at all...literally everything above 6khz was gone (I recorded the output from the S6s with my Mojave 201 and looked at it on a spectrum analyzer). No idea what the issue is, maybe blown tweeters or maybe fault DSP chips. Either way, something is definitely wrong with these S6s and they are going back to the seller. Oh well. Guess I'm gonna pick up a pair of those Focal Alpha 65s.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

My Presonus S8's are still cranking after 4 years.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zez View Post
I had the Presonus Eris E8's. They are impossible to mix on and are kind of like a repackaged KRK Rokit's.

Save your money and go with something else.
Not all Rokits are/were created equal. The original USA made wedge Rokits were actually a decent budget speaker one could mix with.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search