The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIYRE new 500 series mic pre.
Old 25th November 2015
I'm on the fence between a Triton D2O and a CP5. I've got a 1081 flavoured pre and a 1073 flavored pre, and I am looking to add some tube into my life. Please keep us posted as to how the CP5 is with tracking!
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Addict

i see this is a older thread but i still would like to add my comment. the cp5 was my first build and it was fairly easy in my opinion but i do have a little prior solder experience. i find the pre to be very clean clear and "pro" sounding. ive done a/b comparisons between it and a capi vp26 i also built on a cleaner setting and this thing holds its own and to some i let listen they found the two indistinguishable. great product
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daillman View Post
i see this is a older thread but i still would like to add my comment. the cp5 was my first build and it was fairly easy in my opinion but i do have a little prior solder experience. i find the pre to be very clean clear and "pro" sounding. ive done a/b comparisons between it and a capi vp26 i also built on a cleaner setting and this thing holds its own and to some i let listen they found the two indistinguishable. great product
Thanks! I've been looking at one of these and currently have VP26's as well. Do you have any colour modules in yours? If so, which one?
Old 17th February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
$149 seems like a great deal to me. Add the colour of your choice for a few extra $.

CP5 Mic Preamp Kit Preorder – DIYRE
My girl bought me a CP5 for Christmas. What a HUGE disappointment. The quality control on the unit was poor. I've been emailing back and forth with Peterson for over a month now and he grew more and more belligerent and not accepting responsibility for totally dropping the ball. He's not at all helpful. You know that backroom tech with a developmental disorder affecting his ability to effectively socialize and communicate? Yeah that's him. And I am usually pretty good dealing with these kinds of personalities.

Upon completion of the kit I plugged it in to my Vintage King 500 series rack. EEEEERRrrreeerrEEErrrEEr! was all I heard. I made a pleasant little video with close-ups of my solder points and the gawd awful sound it made. 2 days later I get a response stating the problem sounds like the integrated circuits may be bad (I thought to myself "you don't check your stuff before you ship it?" but I didn't mention it...stuff happens right?). In addition to lousy QC with the IC's the gain knob was missing it's set screw. He said he would send a new set IC's out and nothing about the set screw. 2 or more weeks roll by and nothing no delivery and no email asking if the IC's successful. I send an email and wait and wait. After a few days he gets back to me... "The tracking number is XYX." When I tracked the package USPS surprising had it sitting somewhere for a long time. That's on USPS. I ask Peterson to send me another set offering to pay for it so long as he sends it UPS NOT USPS.

In the meantime I had a recording project happening and I was more than excited to hear the CP5 work in my session. Finally the 2nd set of IC's come and the EEEeeeEEEeeeEEEEEeeeeEEE! is gone. I plug a mic into it, nothing. I plug another mic into it and still nothing. I switch rack sockets to one with a Neve 517 and nothing. So I push and twist all the knobs and buttons. It made a RRRrrrrRRRRRzzz sound when the PAD button was engaged.

I email DIYRE with these lousy results and I wait days for a response. From there Peterson turned into a complete D$%K. I even lectured him about his style customer service. Since we've been going back and forth pointing the finger at each other.

Lets say I am the nightmare customer who oozed solder all over the PCB and wants Peterson to give me a free fully assembled kit (thats not me, I was practically born with a soldering iron in my hand), what would've been so hard about helping me and not ignoring me? How hard would it have been to say, "I'm sorry about your difficulty lets get this thing working for your studio?" Or, "Hey why don't you send your kit to me so I can take a look at it?" Wasn't missing parts in the kit a decent reason to give his long time customer a little extra? And much like this thread I've written excellent reviews about DIYRE. DIYRE kits are not my first foray into the world of DIY and building electronics.

I've built several DIYRE kits with amazing results. 2 EQP5's with the Rogue 5 upgrades, an SB2 and couple of L2A's. Everything was and is marvelous. Thing is I unfortunately learned that if DIYRE is good everything is great however, if its bad its really bad.

DIYRE's premise is amazing. Great gear you build with excellent instructions but when it comes to quality control and customer service DIYRE totally fails.
Old 18th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp420 View Post
My girl bought me a CP5 for Christmas. What a HUGE disappointment. The quality control on the unit was poor. I've been emailing back and forth with Peterson for over a month now and he grew more and more belligerent and not accepting responsibility for totally dropping the ball. He's not at all helpful. You know that backroom tech with a developmental disorder affecting his ability to effectively socialize and communicate? Yeah that's him. And I am usually pretty good dealing with these kinds of personalities.

Upon completion of the kit I plugged it in to my Vintage King 500 series rack. EEEEERRrrreeerrEEErrrEEr! was all I heard. I made a pleasant little video with close-ups of my solder points and the gawd awful sound it made. 2 days later I get a response stating the problem sounds like the integrated circuits may be bad (I thought to myself "you don't check your stuff before you ship it?" but I didn't mention it...stuff happens right?). In addition to lousy QC with the IC's the gain knob was missing it's set screw. He said he would send a new set IC's out and nothing about the set screw. 2 or more weeks roll by and nothing no delivery and no email asking if the IC's successful. I send an email and wait and wait. After a few days he gets back to me... "The tracking number is XYX." When I tracked the package USPS surprising had it sitting somewhere for a long time. That's on USPS. I ask Peterson to send me another set offering to pay for it so long as he sends it UPS NOT USPS.

In the meantime I had a recording project happening and I was more than excited to hear the CP5 work in my session. Finally the 2nd set of IC's come and the EEEeeeEEEeeeEEEEEeeeeEEE! is gone. I plug a mic into it, nothing. I plug another mic into it and still nothing. I switch rack sockets to one with a Neve 517 and nothing. So I push and twist all the knobs and buttons. It made a RRRrrrrRRRRRzzz sound when the PAD button was engaged.

I email DIYRE with these lousy results and I wait days for a response. From there Peterson turned into a complete D$%K. I even lectured him about his style customer service. Since we've been going back and forth pointing the finger at each other.

Lets say I am the nightmare customer who oozed solder all over the PCB and wants Peterson to give me a free fully assembled kit (thats not me, I was practically born with a soldering iron in my hand), what would've been so hard about helping me and not ignoring me? How hard would it have been to say, "I'm sorry about your difficulty lets get this thing working for your studio?" Or, "Hey why don't you send your kit to me so I can take a look at it?" Wasn't missing parts in the kit a decent reason to give his long time customer a little extra? And much like this thread I've written excellent reviews about DIYRE. DIYRE kits are not my first foray into the world of DIY and building electronics.

I've built several DIYRE kits with amazing results. 2 EQP5's with the Rogue 5 upgrades, an SB2 and couple of L2A's. Everything was and is marvelous. Thing is I unfortunately learned that if DIYRE is good everything is great however, if its bad its really bad.

DIYRE's premise is amazing. Great gear you build with excellent instructions but when it comes to quality control and customer service DIYRE totally fails.
My experience wasn't nearly as bad, but it was enough for me to not really trust their products. I built one of the TM79 modules, and a few other "Colours". The TM79 was noisy and didn't sound good at all; a few emails were sent back and fourth, and like you, it was somehow my solder job that was faulty (Though I've built several other kits etc with no problems whatsoever). After replacing two of the transistors (which I piggy backed onto a mouser order) I was able to get it working fairly noise free, but again, didn't really like what it was doing - and it wasn't really doing much of anything at all until I dimed the gain. I gave up when I realized the emails with DIYRE weren't going anywhere.
Not just that, but I just couldn't find a use for any of the other colours (I bought 4 total) - they just didn't seem to sound good on anything I tried them on. I much prefer my SansAmp PSA-1, or any of my plugins. I like the idea of affordable and clever designs, but these just seem to fall short for me.

I am happy that DIYRE stocks other peoples products though! I am thinking about picking up one of those Ribbon mics.
Old 18th February 2018
Lives for gear

I just built 2 of their pres and have 2 x Level Loc Colour boards in them. They really sound fantastic!
Seriously only a monkey could mess up these builds....and that’s probably unfair to say about monkeys. I mean as long as you can follow a picture guide, are mostly literate, and don’t attempt the build rolling drunk, or in complete darkness, you really should manage without complication.
Old 19th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinheronmusic View Post
My experience wasn't nearly as bad, but it was enough for me to not really trust their products. I built one of the TM79 modules, and a few other "Colours". The TM79 was noisy and didn't sound good at all; a few emails were sent back and fourth, and like you, it was somehow my solder job that was faulty (Though I've built several other kits etc with no problems whatsoever). After replacing two of the transistors (which I piggy backed onto a mouser order) I was able to get it working fairly noise free, but again, didn't really like what it was doing - and it wasn't really doing much of anything at all until I dimed the gain. I gave up when I realized the emails with DIYRE weren't going anywhere.
Not just that, but I just couldn't find a use for any of the other colours (I bought 4 total) - they just didn't seem to sound good on anything I tried them on. I much prefer my SansAmp PSA-1, or any of my plugins. I like the idea of affordable and clever designs, but these just seem to fall short for me.

I am happy that DIYRE stocks other peoples products though! I am thinking about picking up one of those Ribbon mics.
I love my DIYRE stuff and feel like they're a great company to deal with. The Palette was the first thing I ever built and Peterson was very responsive when I had to troubleshoot.

I'm also not a fan of the TM79, which is ironic because it was reading Jens's design notes on it that really won me over and got me to try Colour. I don't think that makes the unit not good, obviously a ton of folk dig it, just not for me. I'm grateful for his passion for gear design and ability to articulate that because I love Colour. 15IPS is one of my favs. Check out Bart HRK, his stuff is really good too.
Old 27th February 2018
Here for the gear

I had a pretty awful experience with the CP5. I've built several DIYRE modules and break out boxes. The problem was with the quality control and customer service. To sum it up it turned into an offensive email melee which ended in me demanding a refund and a lecture about customer service.

This was a sad experience. The last thing I wanted was for this to end the way it did. I have been following and building modules from DIYRE for about 5 years. If you buy a kit from DIYRE know that if there is something wrong with it you most likely will not receive professional attention.
Old 14th December 2018
Here for the gear

After buying several kits which I love using and building I got a dud CP5. DIRE's customer service was horrible!! After going back and forth with them for over a month I swore off DIYRE.
Old 15th December 2018
The Hairball Audio "Elements" kit is very good quality. No colored stuff but you can set it up any way you want. I put a current feedback High Speed Mic preamp pcb into it. Works great.
Old 3rd January 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
After buying several kits which I love using and building I got a dud CP5. DIRE's customer service was horrible!! After going back and forth with them for over a month I swore off DIYRE.
I am not saying what happened didn't happen - but it is surprising to read. I've never had anything but good results with DIYRE.

As someone who ran a small manufacturing business for years, I think it's possible they're experiencing some stretch marks from growing too fast. Louder Than Liftoff has now adopted their Colour standard. They're not just making a few products anymore - they've brought compressors and EQ's, 500 racks, so on and so forth, to market and _quickly_. I can sympathize that it's possible they're a little more squeeze than juice as a result.

But with that said, I had one issue with a particularly troublesome CP5 board and Peterson was willing to do whatever it took to make sure it was solved (including FaceTiming me to look at the board and joints, and offering to send me a new boxed set the next day if we couldn't get it resolved). To this day I've got 4 CP5's humming away (15IPS colour boards on each) that fit the bill perfectly where clean, nuanced "wire with gain" topology is the ask.
Old 3rd January 2019
Yeah, the Colour Palette was the first thing I ever DIY’d (other than cables) and Peterson was extremely helpful with walking me through troubleshooting. Based on my experience and the way I see him carrying himself around here I’d say Peterson is a class act and a real gift to us.

I’ve since built a dozen or so of the DIYRE kits. Love the 15IPS. LTL is without a doubt making the best Colour modules on the market.

Last edited by chinesewhiteman; 3rd January 2019 at 02:09 AM..
Old 3rd January 2019
Quote:
Wait a sec. Did you revive a 10 month dead thread, on which you were the last person to say something, just to basically say the same thing you said 10 months ago? Why? Are you trying to be judge, jury, and executioner to future DIYRE customers? This seems really odd to me...
Old 27th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
Wait a sec. Did you revive a 10 month dead thread, on which you were the last person to say something, just to basically say the same thing you said 10 months ago? Why? Are you trying to be judge, jury, and executioner to future DIYRE customers? This seems really odd to me...
Yeah. I call BS On that dude, too.

I've built two CP5s (I only discovered them a month or two ago) and found the quality of the whole package to be great.

That dude sounds like someone with an axe to grind.

These units have a minimal number of components and are engineered to build up beautifully. Everything worked great for me, and I'm thoroughly pleased. I plan to build about 10 of these over the next few months.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Not trying to hijack the thread but are you guys still happy with CP5? I’m new to diy stuff and trying to build some cp5, di boxes and hairball lola.
What do you think? CP5 itself, and maybe some colours. Let me know what you hear, and think!
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimoyjk View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread but are you guys still happy with CP5? I’m new to diy stuff and trying to build some cp5, di boxes and hairball lola.
What do you think? CP5 itself, and maybe some colours. Let me know what you hear, and think!

Dont hesitate to get the CP5 , I have a pair and I got a full rack of his units ,

If you can solder,,,,youll be fine,,,,just practice a bit before you dive in to get into a flow,,,,use an above average soldering iron,, he now offers one on his site, I purchased it and it feels like a pro iron,,,, hurry its still on sale,,,, but its not the Black Friday price which was $30

as for ppl getting duds or non working units,,,,,
I cant speak for them but I will tell you this
these are DIY kits ,,,, you hold some responsibility as well if these kits dont function once you build them,,, yes you can overheat a part or short something or to much or not enough solder,,,,anything can happen during the build process

but his kits are so well layed out in design and instructions that if something goes wrong its 99.9% human error

and even when something goes wrong and its on you,,,he still provides help

in about 1-2 years these kits will dbl in price

get it ,,,,you wont be sorry
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search