The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dorsey Mod for Oktava
Old 2nd January 2007
Dorsey Mod for Oktava

I've done the dorsey mod to a few of my mk012's and I'm not happy with them. I have to put wind screens on them for them to work on toms. The sensetivity is rediculous. Any one else have this problem with the mic farting out on normal sources? It even farts out on the hat and I'm pointing straight down between the bell and edge so no air in sight.
Old 2nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Was there no problem with the mod? I have heard other peoiple saying the same thing. I never had mine modded because I thought it would basically turn them into the KSM 141 pair that I have. Those 2 pair are really complimentary to each other.

You may send them to Mike Joly to see if there is a problem with them. Having to use a pop filter on a kit just seems like something is wrong.
Old 2nd January 2007
I've asked Mike back when I wanted to mod and and he said in respect to Scott Dorsey mod that he didn't think it was right for him to do it... In a sense that he would be making money off of someone else's idea. I called Scott and he doesn't really do the mods for he is too busy. I built eight channels of Seventh Circle A12's and I had no problems so I figured I can mod a mic with a few parts. I got to figure this out soon.

Thanks for your reply

Vahe
Old 2nd January 2007
Lives for gear

How would the mod make the diaphragms more sensitive?
Did you compare the before and after?

In all, I think the capsules are sensitive to begin with, at least if you use them for voice where you will definitely need a windscreen or pop filter. I've never had a problem at all with instruments but I never used them for toms, etc.

Have you tried them in front of an acoustic guitar?

The bottom line is that if you use a windscreen and it works, well then, it works and I wouldn't sweat it. I'm sure I am not telling you anything new by saying that not all mics can handle the blasts from all sources. If using the windscreen and you can't place the mics where you want them because the diahragm is caving in then I'd consider that a problem - obviously you'll need to use different mics.

Good luck
Old 2nd January 2007
It's just crazy sensitive since the mic preamp mod. I think it sounds muddy even with the wind screens. I should have left them stock lol

Vahe
Old 2nd January 2007
Gear Maniac

I've got a pair with the Dorsey mod and I'm not experiencing anything like your description. They aren't muddy. They're more detailed than stock with more punch in the lows and smoother highs. They do run a little hot, but not to an extreme. I've never tried them on toms, but they're very nice on OH and acoustics. My guess is an error in the parts somewhere.

Do a search on Oktava's here on gearslutz. There was a post when Mike said he wouldn't do the mod, but he knew a guy who did, with Dorsey's permission. It'd be worth checking out.
Old 2nd January 2007
Gear Guru

You might ask Scott over on r.a.p. as I think he still lives there.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.audio.pro?hl=en
Old 3rd January 2007
I've asked Scott and he said he was too busy and or that he wrote the mod for the magazine and he doesn't perform them for a living. This was a while back. I found the guy I bought the mod kit from. I just emailed him seeing if he could fix them.

Thanks
Old 3rd January 2007
Lives for gear

I sourced my own parts based on the magazine article and did the mod myself. I have no problems with mine. The mic simply sounds like a better, more detailed version of what it was.

Brad
Old 3rd January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
I've asked Scott and he said he was too busy...
Scott is on rec.audio.pro every day. He may not want to fix them for you, but he's very likely to be willing to answer a question about them. Post a note there describing your experience and see what he has to say.

Are your problems with the mic mostly in the low end? I'm not sure from your description exactly what you're getting from them. In what frequency range do you find them overly sensitive?
Old 3rd January 2007
I spoke to the guy who sold me the kit. He asked me to send him one and he's gonna check it out. Thanks guys.
Old 3rd January 2007
Gear Nut

I´ve been modding my ocktavas, the 319 sounds incredible now,
I recorded some vocals days ago and i was really impressed.

-did all the modifications to the grill,
-removed the capsule resonator´s disc,
-the base of the capsule is now covered with absorver material,
-the inner side of the mic´s body was covered with a selicone compond to
eliminate resonance.
-bypass the hi pass filter and pad section
-upgraded electronic components with quality parts from digikey
FET, resistors...etc

I´m gonna buy another 319 and repeat the process, since i have parts left for one more.

I´ve spent 150 us$ for the parts needed to mod two 319 and a pair of 012´s
plus 150 Eur. for the 319
and 300 Eur for the 012´s

the result is really good sounding mics for incredible low price. I´m becoming an ocktava fan

Next i´m going to mod my 012´s
Old 10th September 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio freak View Post
-did all the modifications to the grill,
-removed the capsule resonator´s disc,
-the base of the capsule is now covered with absorver material,
-the inner side of the mic´s body was covered with a selicone compond to
eliminate resonance.
-bypass the hi pass filter and pad section
-upgraded electronic components with quality parts from digikey
FET, resistors...etc
I was wondering what were the materials you used when you say that you've covered the base with absorber material, and what the compound you were talking about consisted of. Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search