The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sony C-37a vs AKG C-12
Old 29th June 2015
Gear Addict

Sony C-37a vs AKG C-12

How do these mics compare and contrast?

I've used a Sony C-37a before and enjoyed the sound but was wondering how a AKG C-12 or Clone (ex:peluso p-12) would sound. Wonder if I would like it more!

Thanks

Last edited by greenfields; 29th June 2015 at 03:41 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Sony is self effacingly flat and a bit opaque, though creamy. The C12 is more open, particularly up top. The Peluso is decent, but it does not compare to a real one or even a better, more expensive clone such as the Upton. $4k seems to be the ballpark of clones of classic mics that start getting really close to the originals.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

They seem to be quite different and possibly a different design goal. I definitely think of the C37a as creamy as well. The one record I did with one on the lead vocal it just feels like you can 'climb into the vocal' if that makes sense. When I think of C12 (I don't have direct experience, but know some things done with them, and have used the P12 you mentioned) I think of a more crystalin sound. It clear, extended at the top, and detailed.

I probably sound like a broken record on this, but DON'T get a Peluso if you are dealing with singers who have a lot of power. Those capsules totally fold with strong singers.

As an expansion on the original question, having a C37a (or Tonelux) and a C12 type mic makes a lot of sense, as if one mic isn't doing what you want, the other is quite different and might be the best place to go.
📝 Reply