The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chop shop vs. VOG
Old 28th June 2015
Chop shop vs. VOG

Hi there,

I currently have a louder than lift off chop shop and love it! I am wondering if anyone has used the chop shop and the little labs VOG? I want a second unit and am trying to decide between another chop shop and the VOG. The chop shop has more features but of course it is all about how it sounds. I produce techno and would be using this to shape sounds (kick, drums, bass, snare) before hitting my compressors.

Thanks!
Old 30th June 2015
Old 30th June 2015
Gear Guru

I don't think the VOG has the FOCUS (tilt), but I can't imagine tracking without it. That feature alone makes the Chop Shot the best Filters I've found - for me. Love the Chop Shops.
Old 30th June 2015
Noa
Gear Addict

You should have a pair of Chop Shops and one VOG. Jonathan Little of Little Labs let me know that the 500 series VOG can be used as a stereo device. So all you need is one to do stereo.
Old 30th June 2015
Thanks!

Does the VOG do something to the low end that is unique to the unit or can it be replicated with the chop shop? I have had really good luck removing mud and adding punch to kicks with the chop shop. But as everyone here knows the grass is always greener!

How can the VOG be stereo with only one in and one out? Do you use XLR to 1/4 inch insert cables?
Old 1st July 2015
Gear Guru

The UAD Vog is very affordable if you have UAD. I like mine a lot, even though I don't use it all the time. Great for cleaning up low end and adding weight in just the right places.
Old 1st July 2015
I've owned both. The Chop Shop is better by a million. Tilt EQ and LPF add so much functionality, and the resonant HPF is way more intuitive to use.
Old 1st July 2015
Lives for gear

I'm a fan of the Chop Shop as well.

But I'm also a huge Little Labs fan. I think Jonathan makes really innovative and incredibly useful products. I love love my IBP. I still need to get an STD...wait, that didn't come out right.

While it's true that the Chop Shop does have more features, I think what the VOG does is very unique and is not something that the Chop Shop can replicate because the VOG has a very sharp resonance and a 24 dB/oct roll-off. That's more like what a synth might give you. The Chop Shop on the other hand sports a 12 dB/oct roll-off and a variable amount of resonance courtesy of the Bump knob. So my question is...how freaky do you need to get? You may just need both.

One thing that you should definitely try with your Chop Shop is Lo-Rider Mode. It basically flips the Lo-Cut/Bump section into a low pass filter with variable resonance...but targetting low frequencies. So let's say you have a kick drum sound that is kind of anemic and lacking subsonic punch. What you can do is mult that kick drum and put the Chop Shop in Lo-Rider Mode on it. By sweeping the Lo-Cut knob (which is now a LPF), you can roll-off everything above 50, while simultaneously boosting at 50 Hz via the Bump knob (engage "More" too for extra oomph!). In solo this track will sound like a rave coming through the walls...all subsonic punch and nothing else. Blend that back in with your dry kick track and you'll have a massively huge bottom end. I sometimes shape the main full-frequency kick track with the Chop Shop as well to boost attack (via Focus) or roll off high frequency crap I don't need (vi Hi-Cut).

Give that a shot if you haven't already.

Brad
Old 1st July 2015
Noa
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjacobtodd View Post
Thanks!

Does the VOG do something to the low end that is unique to the unit or can it be replicated with the chop shop? I have had really good luck removing mud and adding punch to kicks with the chop shop. But as everyone here knows the grass is always greener!

How can the VOG be stereo with only one in and one out? Do you use XLR to 1/4 inch insert cables?
"Stereo operation is accomplished by wiring pin 1 to ground, pin 2 left and pin 3 right on the XLRs"

Also, the VOG is more of a one trick pony. But a good one. It's more extreme. The Chop Shop is way more versatile. But if you can't afford both, go with a pair of Chop Shops and try the software version of the VOG (It's less than half price)
Old 1st July 2015
Thanks for all of the great replies everyone!

I don't have a UAD and don't have plans to get one for now. I just enjoy using all of my hardware comps too much!

Brad, that is a great suggestion I will certainly try it out. I am using an Elektron Analog Rytm for my kick and that provides the opposite problem - too much bass. There is of course an hpf on the rytm but it just doesn't sound as good as the chop shop.

A second chop shop will be my next purchase and I'll save the VOG for a latter date.

Thanks again!
Old 2nd July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjacobtodd View Post
Brad, that is a great suggestion I will certainly try it out. I am using an Elektron Analog Rytm for my kick and that provides the opposite problem - too much bass. There is of course an hpf on the rytm but it just doesn't sound as good as the chop shop.
If too much bass is your problem I would try using the Hi-Cut to roll off the low end in the following manner to avoid just lopping off the entire bottom end. Start with the frequency at the lowest setting. Set Bump to its lowest setting as well, with the "More" switch disengaged. This will give the filter a Bessel response, which is minimal phase and has a gentle "knee" for lack of a better term. Slowly sweep up the frequency knob until you have tamed the massive low end. Because the “knee” is so gradual at this Bump setting it will have more reach into upper frequencies. For example, you can attenuate 80 Hz a little bit while having the bulk of your roll off happening much farther below that. This way the kick will still have extension at the bottom, but just won’t be so overwhelming above that point. You can then fine tune Bump dial in the turnover that works best for the mix.

Let me know if that works out!

Brad
Old 17th July 2015
Brad,

I tried your suggestion and it gives a nice clean approach for cleaning up low end. I imagine it would work great for an acoustic kick drum. However, I much prefer starting with the frequency at the lowest setting, the "more" switch engaged and the bump around 1 o'clock. Then raising the frequency to around 60 Hz or more depending on the sound. This really cleans up the sub bass while giving the kick a solid punch. A touch of tilt towards the high end adds that little extra punch.

Thanks!
Old 18th July 2015
Lives for gear

Cool! Glad you found a setting that did the trick.

Brad
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search